Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Angstyteen

acne= disease?

So I was thinking today in class that is acne really a disease? I mean some peope have it and some don't even if they have oily faces or other things that would typically cause acne so to speak. I have had the bacteria gain immunity to certain products i have tried. Also there are many prescrisptions for it. So can anyone help answer my question.

what is your question, i don't understand.

is your question "is acne a disease?"- yes, it's a skin disease.

Acne most certainly is a disease. Bacteria do not really "gain immunity" Some are resistant to certain antibiotics some are not. Think about it this way: Your antibiotic will kill the bacteria that are not resistant to it. The bacteria left behind are resistant to it, and reproduce and make more bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotic. Next you have a whole bunch of bacteria that are resistant to your antibiotic, but they never changed from being not resistant to resistant. You can't really get a vaccine for acne. It's still a condition that's not 100% understood by doctors. The human immune system is partially to blame for the problem, and the bacteria that contribute to it will keep coming back.

Guest dingybobstuart

Wouldnt our immune system be able to fight it?

Everything is a disease :P Acne just isn't like.. contagious or anything. I thought it just depends on your skin type and age etc. Why do most people get it during puberty because their hormones are going spaz?

Guest ~Wolfy~

Bacteria do not really "gain immunity" Some are resistant to certain antibiotics some are not. Think about it this way: Your antibiotic will kill the bacteria that are not resistant to it. The bacteria left behind are resistant to it, and reproduce and make more bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotic. Next you have a whole bunch of bacteria that are resistant to your antibiotic, but they never changed from being not resistant to resistant.

That's actually not true. Bacteria mutate all the time. Most of the time the mutations do nothing, or are detrimental, and those bacteria don't do better.

Sometimes though, the mutations turn out to be positive for the bacteria. One of the mutations they can create is immunity to antibiotics. For example one bacteria I heard about was found to have a pump to pump antibiotics out of the cell; it had repurposed/copied genes from another pump that was already in the cell to do that.

In addition sometimes the genes to be immune already exist in the environment: some bacteria actually swap genes, so a bacteria can actually aquire immunity that way (many antibiotics are natural chemicals or modifications of natural chemicals, and bacteria have had time to work out ways around those chemicals over billions of years.)

Still, most of the time, the immune bacteria are picked up off other people.

That's actually not true. Bacteria mutate all the time. Most of the time the mutations do nothing, or are detrimental, and those bacteria don't do better.

Sometimes though, the mutations turn out to be positive for the bacteria. One of the mutations they can create is immunity to antibiotics. For example one bacteria I heard about was found to have a pump to pump antibiotics out of the cell; it had repurposed/copied genes from another pump that was already in the cell to do that.

In addition sometimes the genes to be immune already exist in the environment: some bacteria actually swap genes, so a bacteria can actually aquire immunity that way (many antibiotics are natural chemicals or modifications of natural chemicals, and bacteria have had time to work out ways around those chemicals over billions of years.)

Still, most of the time, the immune bacteria are picked up off other people.

You are right, bacteria mutate all the time. The mutations are completely random, and as you said most of the time do no good what so ever. Bacteria can pick up the DNA of dead bacteria and incorporate it into their own DNA, and they can exchange DNA amongst one another while they're living like you said.

My point was that bacteria do not just become resistant to antibiotics. Immune bacteria are naturally selected by antibiotics. The bacteria with immunity do not consciousally go around and pass off their DNA to non-resistant bacteria so they will stay alive. My mistake for not being clearer.

So I was thinking today in class that is acne really a disease? I mean some peope have it and some don't even if they have oily faces or other things that would typically cause acne so to speak. I have had the bacteria gain immunity to certain products i have tried. Also there are many prescrisptions for it. So can anyone help answer my question.

acne- skin condition: a disease of the oil-secreting glands of the skin that often affects adolescents, producing blackheads and pimples on the face, neck, and shoulders that can leave pitted scars. Technical name acne vulgaris

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.