Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scorpio8647

Mother will not let me see a dermatologist for my skin...

Ok, I really want to see a dermatologist for these scars & blotchy face... Seems like people get good results from a derm.My mother thinks it's a waste of money and time will heal the scars. But it's been years and my face hasn't changed back into younger heathier skin. I'm tired of people's comments about all these marks on my face.My mother's beginning to think I'm becoming a sissy because I'm so worried about my face.I'm just tired of waiting.... I think a derm could really help me but my mother refuses to bring me to one... I wish she would help me. She's bought me store products but I've realised these are the ones that don't work.

Yes...it sucks when you are reliant on your parents and they don't help. Actually most of the topicals to help fade pigmentation are available without prescription...only major exception would be topical retinoids. Ahas and Mandelic acid, copper peptides are all the mainstays. Otherwise you are into the realm of surgical treatments like smoothbeam, dermabrasion etc. I don't think any derm would perform these if you still have active acne.

If you are reliant on you parents to pay...you just gotta keep working on them. Find some persuasive research on the net...take your Mum here to look around.

In the meantime..see if you can obtain some of the topicals mentioned at the top.

Goodluck.

No offense but your mom sounds like a dumb c*nt.

I mean seriously, what kind of mother wont do something like this to help her child, its cold hearted and pisses me off hearing about it.

Yes...it sucks when you are reliant on your parents and they don't help. Actually most of the topicals to help fade pigmentation are available without prescription...only major exception would be topical retinoids. Ahas and Mandelic acid, copper peptides are all the mainstays. Otherwise you are into the realm of surgical treatments like smoothbeam, dermabrasion etc. I don't think any derm would perform these if you still have active acne.

Infinite there are a range....and I am not an expert.

The scarboard Faq says

Q: How can I get rid of my red marks / hyper pigmentation / brown marks?

A: There are several different approaches that you can take. You may have to experiment to find which works best for you. The effectiveness of these treatments varies and they may have to be used in conjunction with other treatments for best results:

· The tape method of exfoliation

· The vinegar method of exfoliation

· Apply a lactic acid peel

· Apply a glycolic acid peel

· Apply a Beta-Hydroxy Acid solution

· Vita-K for Blotchy Skin

Of late, Mandelic acid serum shows a lot of promise: http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=6094

Also Check out dermstore.com. and search hyperpigmentation. Good luck!!

And Julian? This cowboy would be the one that endeavoured to make you feel better yesterday when you posted in the Lounge. How is calling the original posters mother a c*nt going to make him feel better about his situation? By my reckoning it will likely just make him feel guilty about posting in the first place. Everyone loves their Mum and no-one needs to hear that kind of crap.

I'm very sorry that your mom is not supportive. I'm a mom who suffered from acne as a teen and can't understand why she wouldn't want to help you. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Talk to an aunt, uncle or grandparent and see if they can talk some sense into your mom.

2. Take flaxseed oil capsules twice/day. They contain essential fatty acides and studies have shown that levels of EFA's are lower in acne sufferers.

3. Use salycylic acid. Apply and leave on for 10 minutes then wash off. The most effective salcylic acid serum that I have found is from Skin Biology.

4. Do not over dry your skin with harsh chemicals. It is the worst thing you can do for your acne.

Good luck.

Alright i apologize, but stuff like this truly boils my blood.

I know how horrible it can feel, as can most of you. And the fact that his own mother doesnt sympathize and get him help, just seems ludicrous to me.

hey Scorpio, you should just make an apointment with your regular doctor. They can also perscribe medications and antibiotics for acne as well. My doctor did for me. You mom wouldnt object to you seeing a regualr doctor, would she? You dont even have to tell your mom what youre going in for!

hey Scorpio, you should just make an apointment with your regular doctor. They can also perscribe medications and antibiotics for acne as well. My doctor did for me. You mom wouldnt object to you seeing a regualr doctor, would she? You dont even have to tell your mom what youre going in for!

I don't understand why a parent would not take their child to see a derm when it is obvious their child has skin problems. It took my parents like 4 years to figure this out-by then, I had already paid a price. My parents are much more open to it now, mainly because I pay for a lot of the appointment, prescriptions, scar treatments, and online orders myself. This is why I save up most of my earnings for stuff related to my face. I hardly buy anything else....well, I just forked out quite a bit for a new cell phone. biggrin.gif Since your Mom is buying you OTC stuff, give it a try and see how well it works. If you really can't get them to take you to a derm, you can try ordering some products online or by telephone like Proactive Solution. Sometimes I think that there are a lot of good products out there just waiting to be discovered. Good luck.

I went to see my doc on my own initiative, even if my mom had said: "ya aint going boy" yeah mom, stop me!

I booked an appointment with my local GP for an ingrowing toenail and asked him then at the same time (short version) and he gave me some anti-biotics.

I'm really failing to see how your being stopped seeing a doc, book an appointment yourself, you don't even have to tell your mom :-s

Ok, I really want to see a dermatologist for these scars & blotchy face... Seems like people get good results from a derm.My mother thinks it's a waste of money and time will heal the scars. But it's been years and my face hasn't changed back into younger heathier skin. I'm tired of people's comments about all these marks on my face.My mother's beginning to think I'm becoming a sissy because I'm so worried about my face.I'm just tired of waiting.... I think a derm could really help me but my mother refuses to bring me to one... I wish she would help me. She's bought me store products but I've realised these are the ones that don't work.