Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JR86

Flakey skin

my skin gets so flakey sometimes because of the accutane. i read on these boards that someone's derm gave them a glycolic acid topical (toner or something) to prevent flakiness. would it be ok to use a glycolic acid toner? would this help? is there anything else i can do to get rid of flakiness?

Try out some jojoba oil. I was having a really tough time with flakey skin, so I gave it a shot. After just a few days, my skin was soft and looking good. I highly recommend jojoba oil for flakey skin. Good Luck...

I use the toner that comes with the proactiv kits and that seems to work really well for me. I'd like to find something I can just buy local though if possible instead of the proactiv stuff. It's funny because the only part of me that's NOT flaking is my face where I apply the toner. hah. I'm flaky everywhere else though. gross.

I use the toner that comes with the proactiv kits and that seems to work really well for me. I'd like to find something I can just buy local though if possible instead of the proactiv stuff. It's funny because the only part of me that's NOT flaking is my face where I apply the toner. hah. I'm flaky everywhere else though. gross.

that's what i was going to use. the proactiv toner.

Try out some jojoba oil. I was having a really tough time with flakey skin, so I gave it a shot. After just a few days, my skin was soft and looking good. I highly recommend jojoba oil for flakey skin. Good Luck...

where can i get this? at the pharmacy?

Guest Locked In Grace

I'm also taking Accutane and i'm having a slight problem with flakiness, getting Jojoba Oil today, i hope that works. Check out my journal in my sig, i'll post whether or not it works.

i'll try the proactiv toner, since i already have it. then, if that doesn't work, i'll get some jojoba oil.

if i remember correctly, when i used it, it was really drying.

i'm using retin-a micro right now and what helps with my peeling is a glycolic cleanser by md forte (i'm using level 3). it exfoliates your skin and i don't have any flaky skin.. it will be flaky the first week you use it but will go away.

do you use a cleanser anyways? it so, this cleanser might be a good alternative as it will get rid of flakey skin too.

different skin, different results. caution: try at your own risk. :D

i always say that because it's true.. i hope it works for you but don't blame me when it doesn't. good luck!

It's risky. Your skin might tolerate it, or you might burn yourself. I think it's better to use gentle exfoliation methods while on Accutane, like fingertip exfoliation in the shower, or gently rubbing a damp terry cloth towel over the skin.

my skin gets so flakey sometimes because of the accutane. i read on these boards that someone's derm gave them a glycolic acid topical (toner or something) to prevent flakiness. would it be ok to use a glycolic acid toner? would this help? is there anything else i can do to get rid of flakiness?

Have you tried plain old moisturizer? I've found that regular use of common noncomedogenic moisturizer works great.

Have you tried plain old moisturizer? I've found that regular use of common noncomedogenic moisturizer works great.

yes, i moisturize like 5 times a day.

i also exfoliate with a towel.

I use MD Forte III cleanser. I use it only occasionally as it burns like hell. I exfoliate with it with a wash cloth. I only do this if I'm going out and want my skin completely flake free. Otherwise I just deal with the flakes.

I'm going to ask my derm next time what to do on a daily basis for the flakes. I have them on my chin and that's about it.

i wouldnt use the proactiv toner... look at the active ingredients, it looks like its going to dry you out even more, and plus, if your skin is already dry and irritated toner might chemically burn you or something and end up with a big red spot