Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eloise

RAM may break my wallet

Hello all you RAM users!!

I've been using Retin-A Micro .1% for about a month now and like it. My derm was nice enough to give me some samples before I decided whether RAM was right for me, but he forgot I was a poor teacher that can't splurge on something that is not covered under my insurance. $140 bucks a bottle!! :mad:

So I have some questions for you guys to help me decide if I should give in or not:

--How much does a 45g tube of RAM last if you use a pea size amount once daily? (I think the pharmacist said 45g)

--Does RAM have an expiration date within 2 months of purchase like DUAC?

--Is there something comparable to RAM that is not so expensive?

Thanks for your support!

Eloise

Will your insurance cover a generic version of it? Or at least, the generic should be cheaper (mine is generic and was $10). I've read on here that Green Cream is comparable to RAM, but will let the folks that have used it talk about it.

I got my RA in Sept. and it expires Nov. 2007. That's a pretty good amount of time but I'm sure I'll run out if it before then.

At the rate I'm going, I expect my RA to last approx 5-6 months.

i agree, get the generic tretinoin cream. it may not have the microspheres but it will work just as well and be cheaper. also, one tube should last you at least a few months, so you don't have to buy it that often.

i pay like 30 bucks for each prescription fill --i get 2 tubes (not sure of the size but they're like 2-3 in long). both tubes should last about 20 weeks. (i'm on my second tube and it's been 11 weeks.. a lot left still).

i've also tried green cream. the product is more for wrinkles and aging but some people found results with acne. i used it for about 4+ months and the whole time i keep breaking out, not a huge purge, but constant. so i went to my derm and got retin-a micro and i think it's better for acne.. i've purge but it came and went unlike green cream which seemed to drag out the purging. imo.

i don't think green cream is that much cheaper. it's like 60 dollars each (only 1oz) and it lasts about the same as my presciption.. but then again.. your insurance doesn't cover it.

i guess if you have no choice, give green cream a try. i don't have server acne (moderate) and green cream did nothing.. it was a waste of my time b/c i broke out for nothing and now i love retin-a micro. get the generic if possible.

good luck!

Thanks you guys for the feedback!

I was thinking about Green Cream as well, but after reading that a tube lasts for a few months I'll give RAM a try. :D

-Eloise