Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnenewyork1

Silicon....My experience

Just a couple of days ago, I finished my second round of silicon microdroplet injection.

I did it in a cosmotic dermatologist in NYC. I was impressed with the results of my first session and decided to go for the second round two months later.

The dermatologist went over every tiny depressed area and injected it with a microdroplets of silicon. It should induce collagen formation and build up the depressed area with a net result of smoothening and resurfacing. I appreciated a great effect of my first session and now waiting for the result of the second session, which usually appear after 3-6 weeks. I may decide to go for a third and may a fourth session until I feel satisfied with the results. If the improvement continues, I anticipate more than 70%-80% improvement. Some depressed areas almost gone after the first session. On the top of this, the fees that my dermatologist charges are very reasonable (300$) for each session.

Just a couple of days ago, I finished my second round of silicon microdroplet injection.

I did it in a cosmotic dermatologist in NYC. I was impressed with the results of my first session and decided to go for the second round two months later.

The dermatologist went over every tiny depressed area and injected it with a microdroplets of silicon. It should induce collagen formation and build up the depressed area with a net result of smoothening and resurfacing. I appreciated a great effect of my first session and now waiting for the result of the second session, which usually appear after 3-6 weeks. I may decide to go for a third and may a fourth session until I feel satisfied with the results. If the improvement continues, I anticipate more than 70%-80% improvement. Some depressed areas almost gone after the first session. On the top of this, the fees that my dermatologist charges are very reasonable (300$) for each session.

Where are you going for this proceedure?

Thanks!

Congratulations New York! I am always glad to hear of success stories. I know that there are a number of talented dr.s in NYC that do this procedure.

Dan

yeah, I`m right by the NYC area, who's the derm you are going to over there? thanks

This sounds really good, I am tempted to go for it when I get the $$$$

Hi Dan !! What have your sesults been so far?

How many rounds have you had to date?

I to m thinking of doing this...I know, I know that many will say..Ohhh no..it is far to dangerous to place that into your skin....But for me...I think the risk will be worrh the possible improvment...For the first poster..Forgot your name..=) But who did you use in NYC...I was thinkign of going to the Orientrech( spelling) group..I understand thay have had much success with Silicone microdroplet..... =)

Hey Dan, I remember you saying you went to Dr. Alkek. Well I finally made a consultation appointment with him next Wednesday so I will see what he thinks about my scars. I think I could afford two sessions of silicone if it was only $300 or so. I have a very small area I want done, so I wouldn't think he would charge that much. I just have to persuade my husband a bit, but I've gotten good at that :angel: He'd be a rich man if it weren't for me. I wouldn't be surprised if he just trys to sell me on dermabrasion though like he did kamni if I remember right. He may think my scars aren't shaped right for the silicone. Plus I have the thick scar tissue in areas. I will be nervous letting him look at my skin, I always am with doctors, but I feel like maybe this would be the last derm I will have to see. :pray:

Tricia - I wouldn't worry about it at all, my scars had various shapes and I defintely had thick scar tissue in several areas, especially along the jaw lines. I am sure that in his practice, he has probably seen some of the worst cases around and he himself had severe scars until he was treated with silicone 25 years ago. When I look at him, I can't tell that he even had scars.

Let me know how the consult goes.

Dan

Hey Dan, I remember you saying you went to Dr. Alkek. Well I finally made a consultation appointment with him next Wednesday so I will see what he thinks about my scars. I think I could afford two sessions of silicone if it was only $300 or so. I have a very small area I want done, so I wouldn't think he would charge that much. I just have to persuade my husband a bit, but I've gotten good at that :angel: He'd be a rich man if it weren't for me. I wouldn't be surprised if he just trys to sell me on dermabrasion though like he did kamni if I remember right. He may think my scars aren't shaped right for the silicone. Plus I have the thick scar tissue in areas. I will be nervous letting him look at my skin, I always am with doctors, but I feel like maybe this would be the last derm I will have to see. :pray:

interesting, silicone injection, how is that in contrast with saline injection? is silicon injection like a permanent filler? please elaborate, thanks.

interesting, silicone injection, how is that in contrast with saline injection? is silicon injection like a permanent filler? please elaborate, thanks.

Yes, silicone is permanent, that is the good news and the scary news because it is hard to remove if you need to down the road. Saline is just injected under the scar to break up the scar tissue there and temporarily raise it so collagen can form underneath. It is gone very fast so people reinject every other week or once a month.

Dan, thanks for the advice, it does make me feel better knowing that Dr. Alkek had this performed on himself and that he hasn't had any problems. I'm just really curious to hear what he would recommend for me because I have been recommended so many different things in the past. My scars do look alot better than they did 3 years ago, but I think I have reached the plateau and there will be no more improvement now without a filler. I certainly don't want anything that will peel my skin anymore. :hand:

Tricia, I had the same experience, the subscisions, dermabrasion and excisions from the past had improved me but due to tissue loss, the only remaining thing that would help was a filler. I had tried Restalyne but it only lasted a couple of months and was fairly pricey. With Dr. Alkek's 20+ years of experience with silicone, it seemed like the best option at this point for me. Also, he had the procedure done on himself 25 years ago.

Dan

unfortunately, silicone injection are not good for pinpoint scarring(got tons of it on my cheek), from what ive heard, although i may be wrong. hope im wrong.

I had my consult today with Dr. Alkek and asked about acne care and the scars. I have had more breakouts lately so he gave me some nicomide-T cream and duac for that. I told him my scars can be chronically irritated and pink but he wants me to try his regimen for two weeks along with antibiotics for the acne and then when it clears better do the silicone injections. He said a few scars on my face wouldn't work but many would. It was funny he started pointing to scars I really didn't care about and I had to really show him how bad one was because he wasn't looking to close at it. He did say I had some "holes" which never feels good to hear. He said I would probably need two sessions of the silicone and for just the areas I think are the worst it will only be about $400 each time. So I am going to hopefully start in two weeks. The nurse also told me my acne is probably hormonal, I just had a baby a year ago and need to get on bcp like orthotrycylen. They also give you a pamphlet of all the bad ingredients to steer clear of in makeup. I'm glad I went and my insurance does cover him for office visits and skincare so that is :dance:

I had my consult today with Dr. Alkek and asked about acne care and the scars. I have had more breakouts lately so he gave me some nicomide-T cream and duac for that. I told him my scars can be chronically irritated and pink but he wants me to try his regimen for two weeks along with antibiotics for the acne and then when it clears better do the silicone injections. He said a few scars on my face wouldn't work but many would. It was funny he started pointing to scars I really didn't care about and I had to really show him how bad one was because he wasn't looking to close at it. He did say I had some "holes" which never feels good to hear. He said I would probably need two sessions of the silicone and for just the areas I think are the worst it will only be about $400 each time. So I am going to hopefully start in two weeks. The nurse also told me my acne is probably hormonal, I just had a baby a year ago and need to get on bcp like orthotrycylen. They also give you a pamphlet of all the bad ingredients to steer clear of in makeup. I'm glad I went and my insurance does cover him for office visits and skincare so that is :dance:

I think you will like the results. I am now starting to see the benefits of my third round "touch up" which was done in mid-July. It takes longer for my collagen to respond as I'm an Ole'timer, 41.

Tricia -

I don't know if you have a flex-med account where you work but I have been using it since it will cover treatment for disfiguring diseases which obviously covers damage due to acne scars. It is my own money but it is pre-tax so it gives me a break to some extent.

Glad to hear about your positive consult! Sounds like you did get some good information.

tricia, i'm just curious if having silicone injections would be wise when you have acne breakouts occasionally. if a cyst or just a pimple were to form on the area of the silicone implant, wouldn't that be concern for migration of the silicone or something else? i would ask your dr. about this, esp since it is a permanent procedure we are talking about. i would also get second opinions as i've read in a report online somewhere a while ago that if ppl are prone to acne, it's not a good idea.

i have yet to see before and after photos of patients having this procedure done. it sounds promising, but as i'm sure other ppl are too, would love to see some before and after photos. if anyone could post anything, it would be great!!

Krugstoneco, that is a long time to wait from mid July to see results, I was thinking it should only take three to four weeks. I'm 31 but look young so I've been told lately. I will be dissappointed if I don't see some improvement in the first month after the injection, I may not go for the second if I don't see real improvement.

Dan, I don't have a flex plan but I know what you're talking about, that is a good way to use the money. I saw the brochure today with the pics of the silicone and there was very good improvement. I would have liked to talk to Dr. Alkek more about it but he was in and out and I was talking to the nurse longer. Before I get it done I want to talk in more detail about it.

Trident,

I don't get alot of acne now, I had two zits that were healing over today, so they probably thought I break out all the time especially with my red marks. However, my red marks just never go away. I usually get two to three good ones a month. From what I've read silicone LIS doesn't migrate and I think they inject it deeper than my zits usually are. Mine are more surface zits, not really cystic anymore.

Krugstoneco, that is a long time to wait from mid July to see results, I was thinking it should only take three to four weeks. I'm 31 but look young so I've been told lately. I will be dissappointed if I don't see some improvement in the first month after the injection, I may not go for the second if I don't see real improvement.

Dan, I don't have a flex plan but I know what you're talking about, that is a good way to use the money. I saw the brochure today with the pics of the silicone and there was very good improvement. I would have liked to talk to Dr. Alkek more about it but he was in and out and I was talking to the nurse longer. Before I get it done I want to talk in more detail about it.

Trident,

I don't get alot of acne now, I had two zits that were healing over today, so they probably thought I break out all the time especially with my red marks. However, my red marks just never go away. I usually get two to three good ones a month. From what I've read silicone LIS doesn't migrate and I think they inject it deeper than my zits usually are. Mine are more surface zits, not really cystic anymore.

You will see improvement in the first month! Remember, I've had two full treatments and I now compare improvement with having smooth skin verses my scars becoming more shallow. It's kinda like TCA Cross treatments you see initial improvement within 4-6 weeks but the results keep improving over time, probably up to 4-6 months. Additionally, at 31, your collagen still "remodels" more quickly than when we hit that magical 40 and above plateau. Within the last 12-18 months I have noticed drier skin, more fine lines, wrinkles and pillow creases in the morning that last longer. My doctor won't treat me again until I've waited about 4 months, because at this stage it's not about; does it improve my scars?, it's about protecting from over-correction. Remember, this is a permanent filler.

I think I remember that article, it is scary but other articles I've seen say those with bad results are at a fraction of 1%. It is also very technique based. I was talking to Dan on pm about a girl who had bad results that posted on this site but she said her doctor injected too shallow. She then got a dermabrasion to get it out and is doing better now. If I get it done I will keep it in the scars only so if I have to get a dermabrasion it could be removed in a spot dermabrasion. Dan also said Dr. Alkek has had no patients with bad results including granulomas. Still I will have to talk to him more about my skin since the corticosteroid creams I used long term messed up my skin where I already have some permanent inflammation and redness. It is a risk that has to be weighed and most procedures for scarring do have risks.