Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi Mrs. N!

I'm so sorry to hear the news -- both about Accutane and your dog -- I'm also an adult acne sufferer/dog-lover with chronic depression and anxiety, so I can relate on a number of levels... I've periodically read your log and been quite inspired by it (so thanks!). It sounds like you're already pretty clear though, so I'm sure you can withstand 2 weeks off... you'll be back on in no time, and then before you know it you'll be off -- and clear -- for good! Anyway...just wanted to drop you a line to say I really hope things work out, for you and your pup. (Mine is a spunky little Dachshund that I would absolutey DIE without.) Take care,

Emi

Very disappointing news here---

My bloodwork showed that my LDL is through the roof. I have to discontinue the Accutane for two weeks, then go back in for more bloodwork to see if I am able to continue treatment. I am CRUSHED. God, if anything, I thought it would be my anxiety and panic disorder that would interfere--- never thought it would be stupid LDL cholesterol. I am trying to step up my good eating habits, being more vigorous in my exercising, and just hoping for the best. My rash on my wrists and forearms has returned, so I have some RX cream I have to pick up from the pharmacy. And what's weird is, I've been off the Accutane for nearly a week, and my rash seems to have worsened. And my lips are still peeling like mad. I guess it takes a while to get out of your system.

I'm just so frustrated. It's working so well for me. Wah.

I'm sorry I haven't been around--- been so busy here, and then, since my appointment last week, pretty blue and not up to posting, plus we just found out this week that one of our dogs has some cancerous tumors, so I've been a little freaked by that, too. I'll check in when I'm able. I wish you all great success, and miss you.

--Natalie

Thanks, Emi! And especially thanks about my old dog! He is a sweetheart, and I can't imagine what I'd do without him, smelly old thing.

I'm trying to stay positive. The boards really help---- I'll be here more often, I promise.

Well, I'm changing my bloodwork appointment to a week from today. What magic thing can happen in a week? I am SO discouraged.

So, here's what's happened in the nearly-a-week since I've been off it.

• lips peeling and dry as hell
  • facial skin still reddened
  • still have rash on my hands and wrists, in spite of being on RX cream (Cutivate)
  • slight nausea and loss of appetite
  • INCREDIBLE joint pain, especially in my feet and ankles
  • eyes still red, especially the inside rims of my bottom lids

We went shopping yesterday, to the mall and then Target, and I could hardly walk when we got back home. I mean literally, I was wincing at every step for the next few hours, and had to stay on the couch most of the rest of the day. My shoulder keeps tightening up, but I have a bone spur, plus I think it's the after-effects of the wreck in November. I can still do my Lotte Berk because it's not weight-bearing, most of it. I need to try to keep active or I fear I'll feel even worse.

I am going to have the best diet of my entire life this week. I don't want to stay off the Accutane for long, because then what if my skin starts going back to normal, and then if I start up again I'll have to go through all that first- and second-month stuff again? At least I'm at status quo here, with nothing new going on, and absolutely no breakouts. (Which is just honestly a miracle that I'm beginning to take for granted, after only three months!)

If my ankles and feet didn't hurt so much I'd try to run, but I'm afeared.

My mental status is fine, except it was a horrible stressful holiday season where my family was concerned, in-laws and such, plus we spent too much money as usual and my husband is making me stay on a strict budget this month, and I feel like his teenage daughter, asking if I can buy this or that. Plus, I've temporarily cut back on my work hours, so that's adding to the misery. It's hard being cooped up in the house so much.

OK, enough of this tirade. Blah blah blah, poor me. I'm sure you're all weeping into your lattes.

I"m glad I came here, because reading my last entry I realized that I hadn't yet changed my bloodwork appointment! ACK! I'll call in a minute.

The only new thing, being off the Accutane for over a week now, is that my skin is less dry. Not exactly oily, and certainly not to the extent it was before, but around my nose and mouth and chin, just sort of slightly sticky, just less dry than the rest of my face. PLEASE, oil, do NOT be coming back so soon. I could just cry that my body is failing me. I know this damned LDL cholesterol crap would not have happened were I able to be on Accutane at a normal age, in my late teens or early 20s. I can deal with the body aches for another few months, and my mental health is great. WHY this effing cholesterol???? I am pissed.

I'll be working the next few days and won't be back to check in until after my bloodwork, so please with this old lady luck. I'll be thinking of you all. Doesn't this just SUCK?

I'll be starting accutane soon, and this is one of my biggest worries. I am not scared of any side effects, but I am scared that my bloodwork will make them discontinue the medication. My baseline levels are borderline high to begin with. Has your doctor mentioned anything about just adding some cholesterol medications to your regimen? I think that I have read about that before for accutane users who have problems with their LDL levels...

Well good luck!

My LDL shot up 100 points at the end of the third month. I think the number was in the mid-200's. My derm told me that she doesn't start to worry until they hit 400. What were your numbers?

Hello again, and thank you for all your support!

Yay, my LDL went down to a more manageable number (can't recall it now, sorry---- I'll look it up and come edit this later), so they've allowed me to go back on the Accutane, but at reduced dose: 40 mg once a day. So far so good. While off it, I was just beginning to get my lips back to normal, and it was GREAT! Now back on (for 3 days), they haven't started back up yet, so hopefully it won't be as bad this time. Everything else just same as before----- clear, no psychotic breakdowns, happy as a little clam.

We'll see if she allows me back up on the 80 mgs a day next month, so I can finish faster, but at this rate I'm just thrilled to be on it at all. And a warning, now that warm weather approaches (well at least down here, it approaches): I sat outside this weekend watching my husband do yardwork (I'm fighting horrific bronchitis and was barely out of bed all last week), and I got sunburned! I hadn't reapplied my sunblock, and even though my back was to the sun most of the time, just being outside for that long made my face as pink as a berry. So be careful! No need aging our skin when we're battling the acne as well!

Good luck, everyone! I'll try to check in more regularly.

Hello again, everyone! I was bumped all the way down to page 7! Oh well. That's what I get for not checking in. I figured nothing new, so no sense bothering everyone.

Well, I was off the Accutane completely for a few weeks after the dreaded LDL went sky-high, then down to 40 mg a day for a month, and I am much improved---- total cholesterol 231, very manageable, and LDL down, too, so she's put me back on the 80 mg a day----yay! Not sure when I'll be finished, but I'm still clear, and very happy, but eager to be done with this. My lips had gotten nearly back to normal until this week, and now I'm back to just completely peely and horrifying. Skin still somewhat reddened, and the wrist rash is gone, but who knows for how long.

I've plateaued on my weight loss, which stinks, but frankly I haven't been too active lately and we're going through a horrible family crisis (sister going through horrible divorce after finding out her husband was cheating on her for OVER A FREAKING YEAR. PIG.), so I've been hitting the Salsa Verde Doritos pretty hard. Need to really be careful, because spring is here, and it's already so hot down here, and I can't hide in my sweaters and sweats anymore.

SO, I wish you all well. March 13 was my 5 month mark, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll have since my setback last month. I've never done the number crunch to see my cumulative dosage, but maybe I'll take a look at that later.

Meanwhile, back to bleeding nostrils, peely lips, but THANK GOD, no breakouts. It really is unbelievable. I've only had one cyst, and about 6 pimples since I've started this. That's less than I would have had in one WEEK without the Accutane. Pretty miraculous.

Take care, everyone. Be careful on Spring Break! Watch your drinking! Stay safe!

Hello again, everyone! I was bumped all the way down to page 7! Oh well. That's what I get for not checking in. I figured nothing new, so no sense bothering everyone.

Well, I was off the Accutane completely for a few weeks after the dreaded LDL went sky-high, then down to 40 mg a day for a month, and I am much improved---- total cholesterol 231, very manageable, and LDL down, too, so she's put me back on the 80 mg a day----yay! Not sure when I'll be finished, but I'm still clear, and very happy, but eager to be done with this. My lips had gotten nearly back to normal until this week, and now I'm back to just completely peely and horrifying. Skin still somewhat reddened, and the wrist rash is gone, but who knows for how long.

I've plateaued on my weight loss, which stinks, but frankly I haven't been too active lately and we're going through a horrible family crisis (sister going through horrible divorce after finding out her husband was cheating on her for OVER A FREAKING YEAR. PIG.), so I've been hitting the Salsa Verde Doritos pretty hard. Need to really be careful, because spring is here, and it's already so hot down here, and I can't hide in my sweaters and sweats anymore.

SO, I wish you all well. March 13 was my 5 month mark, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll have since my setback last month. I've never done the number crunch to see my cumulative dosage, but maybe I'll take a look at that later.

Meanwhile, back to bleeding nostrils, peely lips, but THANK GOD, no breakouts. It really is unbelievable. I've only had one cyst, and about 6 pimples since I've started this. That's less than I would have had in one WEEK without the Accutane. Pretty miraculous.

Take care, everyone. Be careful on Spring Break! Watch your drinking! Stay safe!

Hi!! I'm so glad you posted! I have been thinking about you a lot and wondering if we would ever hear from you again! You are missed! Fabulous news about your skin ~ I am sooo happy for you! Sorry to hear about your sister... I will put good thoughts out there for her. Welcome back and please Keep In Touch!!!

Hey Mrs.! How are you? I've been away for months. My work travel schedule has been tremendous this year. I've logged over 8K air miles since Jan.

I didn't get in to see my derm in January, so my treatment is off by a month. I'll probably go until June. I'm now up to 80 mgs a day and trying to monitor my hair for signs of shedding as I don't want to repeat my previous experience.

Is your blood work still coming out okay? Hope all is well for you.