Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crappyskin

Had subcision and my isolagen biopsy with Dr. Chu today.

As usual Dr. Chu was really nice, as was the rest of the staff. First he took the isolagen biopsy from behind my left ear which hurt a little but the worst bit was the local anesthetic injection! Then came the subcision, first he loaded me up with anesthetic on one side of my face and once I couldnt feel anything he started scraping away under my skin, when he had finished with an area his (very fit!) understudy (I think) put lots of pressure on it to keep it from swelling too much, then they did the same on the other side.

They used so much local anesthetic that it took me a good 20 minutes before I could even walk out of the place!

All in all it was ok, no where near as painful as I thought it would be thankfully! But now I'm very swollen and I look like a gerbil!

So far I've had two n-lite sessions (not long ago) and todays subcision, I'll keep you all updated on my progress.

--CS

That 'very fit' understudy - you mean that Greek derm? She normally does the NLites - or do you mean the tall leggy blonde? ...(who took a plaster cast of my face)

Actually, I've noticed that all the junior derms (male and female) working under Dr Chu.

In fact, I think Dr Chu's kind of fit too!

How much improvement would you say you got from the 1st lot of subcision/NLite?

What aftercare are you using?

yeah, the Greek girl that usually does the n-lite smile.gif

um, I cant really tell the improvement of the subcision because my face is all puffed up at the moment, and I thought it took quite a while for it to work anyways? (looking at tamaras photos), I did hear all the crunching noise of the bonds breaking when he did it (which is supposed to be a good sign I think).

But I noticed that my skin was alot better just a week or so after my second n-lite (I had the first n-lite just two weeks before the second), the acne cleared up really well and the scars did seem to be filling in. but I will only really be able to tell in a month or so how well things are going.

Dr. Chu said in about 6 to 8 weeks the isolagen will be ready and at that point he will also do subcision again if he thinks I need it.

fingers crossed!

oh, and I'm not using any aftercare, would you recommend it?

hows things with you at the moment?

--CS

Aftercare - well, after subcision, I found that using just the standard CP serum and emu oil helped a lot with puffy/swolleness. But it's not necessary - subcision and Nlite work quite well together - and that is a good sign - to hear the threads cut!

Me - OMG, I've had so many things done - I got some improvement with subcision and NLite - but some of my scars were too deep and too wide - so Dr Chu performed two lots of excision (scars being cut out and then sewn up together) - some of these responded very well, although still a little indented, they have improved a lot! One of them however isn't looking too good, but that's the risk I took.

I've got around 50 tiny ice picks that won't repond to any of the above -- so I have got hold of 50%TCA and am doing the cross method (burning little holes in the ice picks to stimulate a healing response/collagen) - I'm on day 6 right now, scabs are still there (TCA is strong stuff) but it's looking good - for full effect/60-80% improvement, I will need to do this every month for 6-8 times I think.... Then... I'm done biggrin.gif

It's time consuming this scar revision work #-o

I can put up with the puffyness for now, since I'm at my parents home for a couple of weeks and I dont need to be presentable for a while.

wow, have have done alot! you must be an expert by now!, good luck with the TCA - sounds painful!

and, yeah, it certainly is time consuming! I'm finding this out now!

--CS

i had my subcision 5 days ago and the swelling has almost gone.There is some bruising but not as bad as before.I took arnica and bromelaine this time round.

crappyskin I know what you mean about the anesthetic.I always get dizzy after it .I can't even walk for a good few hours.

But it's been worth it for me.I got 40% improvement last time.Let's hope it's permanent .

God luck.I wish you all the best.

They are very nice at that ward.I had someone ask me twice if I wanted tea or coffee while I was waiting for Dr Chu.

LOL Shiny - I've never been offered a cup of tea - must be because I am NHS! Still, theres a nurse with short blonde hair and she is so lovely - I have been there 4 times in the last few months - and everyone recognises me. It's cool.

they gave me tea too, and my dad some coffee smile.gif

They were really nice even tho I was holding them up, they all wanted to go home, but I couldnt walk for ages, so they just gave me tea and water for ages until I could leave, then they all went home!

--CS

You private patients - you all get special treatment - I was kicked out immediately after my excisions and subcisions .. and drove myself the 2.5 hours home.

Well, still ... I am extremely lucky - coz I couldn't afford the good doctors fees.

wow, you drove! I could barely walk!

isolagen costs us 2500 and its only 1500 on the NHS right? well, thats where the extra 1000 pounds goes, towards the tea and coffee!

--CS

Ha ha .. now, that's an expensive Latte biggrin.gif

I had a wonderful Starbucks White Chocolate Latte with Cream on the top today .. set me back around £3. Hmmm, I could buy over 300 of those for a £1,000.

Seriously, it's kind of nice that private patients get some extra special service (although Dr Chu is always nice) or... I would feel guilty ... and you would resent me ...

This way, you need to all know the dates of my appointments at Dr Chus... knowing that I am going to be this dozy, tranquilised person hitting the M40 -- so stay off the streets!

The worse thing about driving all that way home is that there is always some sort of traffic jam - and you know how people look at each other on the other lanes when traffic comes to a stand still?.. well, there is always a look of shock when they see my face having been excised or subcised and hour before - I feel like the travelling freak show! LOL.

Hehe, I'm really starting to HATE the M40!, I always seem to be on my way home from Dr. Chu around 5 o'clock so the traffic is a nightmare! thankfully its getting dark by then so nobody can see my hammer house of horrors face!

--CS

WOW!, looked in the mirror today and my skin looks really really good! I recon about 60-70% improvement! smile.gif However it will prolly go back to normal once the swelling is completly gone, but for now, I'm happy smile.gif

--CS

crappyskin: hey what time was your appointment? I was there at 2:00 and left around 4:00. I too was sooooo dizzy after the "local" I couldn't walk for a good hour. Dr Chu must have went crazy that day. I have had subcision before and that has never happened .

He also gave me my fourth set of isoalgen. I am still way too puffy to say whether there has been any improvement. In fact I have never been this swollen. I think it takes a good two weeks before you can tell the results because the swollen/puffy look can be deceiving.

Best of luck!!

Heidi

My appointment was at 3 on the 31st, but I got there late at about 3:15 thanks to the M25. I wasnt in the waiting area at all because the second I got there Dr. Chu pulled me into his room! (a change from normal, I'm usually waiting around for ages!). I was the tall guy in the guniess rugby shirt, you may have seen my dad, the old skinny dude with glasses. I was on the end bed in there operation room, I didnt see or hear anyone else there tho.

And, yeah, that local was crazy, I felt like I had just had a full on session at the pub! When my dad came in I couldnt even talk!

--CS

When you say you had a local.. were you put out??? I just get a few injections on my face and we're off!!

Last time I was there - my appointment was at 11 am and I didn't get seen to until 2.30pm - that's the NHS for you - and no free lattes!

My next appointment is on the 7th of January at 4.40PM this time - at least it will be dark when I hit the motorway.

hey: I was there then and on the bed on the other side trying to recover. I was talking a lot because I was a little freaked out. (I am American so I would think you would have heard me - there is a little truth to the stereotype).

Dr Chu said he had more subsicion in the next bed- that must of been you. How funny! However, I didn't see you or your dad.

Good luck with your Isolagen and sub! Keep us posted. It took my cells six week to grow, but the normal is 8-10. I am going for the full five injections and then Dr Chu said he wants to "sandpaper" down my rough edges. He says I have mainly boxcar scars and no ice picks.

heidi

Maya: he injected me and then asked if I could feel him poking me with a needle, I could so he pumped me with more! maybe they used a different sort of local to yours. I was awake for the whole thing, but I felt wasted!

heidi: small world!, I prolly didnt hear you because I was either drugged up or shitting myself about the operation!

I have only paid for the 3 injections at the moment and Dr. Chu said it would be 6-8 weeks for the cells, maybe age is a factor, I'm only 21.

I too have mainly rolling and box car scars apparently, and I'm "on to a winner" according to Dr. Chu smile.gif

--CS

Ahh - that must be why ... coz I'm very experienced with accupressure and I had stimulated (through tapping some points on my hand) endorphins to be released to treat any pain/discomfort etc.. so I didn't get many injections.

Actually, the Greek derm was so impressed by my accupressure tapping, that she made me show her how to do it. And throughout all procedures, the Greek derm, Dr Chu and myself always have great chats about kids, holidays and the like.. it's like a coffee morning.. but with no Lattes for us NHS patients he he..

I would have liked to have a chat with them (the Greek derm in particular! wink.gif) but when ever I tried to speak I just dribbled and made strange sounds!! took me a good 20 min before anybody could understand me!

--CS