Notifications
Clear all

How long does the contraceptive pill take

MemberMember
(@dreamer_22)

Posted : 11/04/2006 8:53 pm

Hi all

I was prescribed the contraceptive pill (one similar to Diane-35) for my acne. Anyway, i've taken the pill for almost a month and i've seen no improvement. My acne has actually worsened (I used to only get acne around my mouth and on my chin, but over the past couple of weeks i've had breakouts on my forehead and my cheeks! - I never used to get acne on my cheeks!)

I'm feeling very disenchanted. How long does the contraceptive pill take to clear up acne? Or doesn't it work for some people? :(

Thanks

MemberMember
(@foomph)

Posted : 11/04/2006 10:52 pm

Personally, 3-4 months, and if it doesn't work buy then I try osmething else, but I have a friend who waited it out and it took 9 months (Diane-35) but it worked beautifully.

MemberMember
(@jane86)

Posted : 11/05/2006 2:50 am

Personally, 3-4 months, and if it doesn't work buy then I try osmething else, but I have a friend who waited it out and it took 9 months (Diane-35) but it worked beautifully.

it took most of my friends 3-4 months as well, but i have known people with more milder cases to have to wait up to 10 or so months for it to work

the company says 6-12 max

so stick with it because the results are truely amazing in the end from what ive seen

MemberMember
(@andriak6gmail-com)

Posted : 11/05/2006 4:24 am

it takes at least 3 months for the pill to even start helping your acne but with different pills it varies, i started taking yasmin 1 month ago, and for me i'm not sure if its helped already or if its all these other things i'm doing but i've noticed my skin improve...however just keep at it and ur skin should improve if ur acne is hormone based, but definitley stick it out!!

MemberMember
(@i_amputated_my_head)

Posted : 11/05/2006 4:35 am

Hi all

I was prescribed the contraceptive pill (one similar to Diane-35) for my acne. Anyway, i've taken the pill for almost a month and i've seen no improvement. My acne has actually worsened (I used to only get acne around my mouth and on my chin, but over the past couple of weeks i've had breakouts on my forehead and my cheeks! - I never used to get acne on my cheeks!)

I'm feeling very disenchanted. How long does the contraceptive pill take to clear up acne? Or doesn't it work for some people? :(

Thanks

if it's making your face break out more, you need to switch to a different birth control medicine. my doctor prescribed me ortho tricyclen. from the research i've done on the internet it is the only birth control pill clinically proven to improve acne. i haven't started the pill yet so i don't know if it'll work for me, but it works for some people. just talk to your doctor about different forms of birth control.

MemberMember
(@strawberryshortcake)

Posted : 11/05/2006 2:12 pm

I've heard great stuff about Diane 35. I'd give it a little more time. It is pretty well-known for it's acne fighting abilities, maybe you've just hit some sort of IB? You may want to try searching the forum to see if anyone else has experienced this.

MemberMember
(@jande)

Posted : 11/05/2006 5:57 pm

In my opinion it doesn't work. Tried it twice. Put on 10 kgs each time in just a month each time. If your acne is caused by hormone levels then if this pill doesn't work it is possible to have your levels assessed and perhaps go with a higher dose. I read an article somewhere on it.

MemberMember
(@sandia)

Posted : 11/05/2006 6:16 pm

I am taking Alesse. I saw improvements a month after I started using it. After 3 months, it got much more better. I started on June2006, we are now on November2006 and although I get the ocassional acne, it is not like before. In my opinion,compared to how my skin was before the pill, it is so beautiful now lol...

MemberMember
(@dreamer_22)

Posted : 11/06/2006 1:06 am

thanks for your replies everyone.

I think i'll continue for another 3 months at least to see if I see results.

*fingers crossed*

MemberMember
(@rainboworder)

Posted : 11/09/2006 8:09 pm

my complexion got much much worse for about 3 months when i started BC pills, but has cleared up nicely now after 10 months. i say stick with it a little longer.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/11/2006 11:03 am

Hi all

Thanks

Ive read that certain birthcontrol pills can make acne worse but there are others that make acne disappear. Ive been on Yasmin and Ive read excellent things about Ortho Tricyclin. You might want to talk to your dr about changing to either one of those :) What pill exactly are you taking now?

MemberMember
(@tweety2)

Posted : 11/21/2006 7:44 pm

I just switched from Micrgestin to Brevicon and my skin is an absolute mess!! I am hoping that waiting it out will help too..... my fingers will be crossed!

MemberMember
(@liv)

Posted : 11/22/2006 12:58 am

my complexion got much much worse for about 3 months when i started BC pills, but has cleared up nicely now after 10 months. i say stick with it a little longer.

Same with me. I started breaking out in the first 3 months, it got worse before it got better...it was horrible but I stuck through it and am fairly clear now.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/22/2006 9:45 am

Hi all

Thanks

My dr told me yasmin is better than ortho tri-cyclin and that yasmin is actually one of the best if not the best. Yasmin usually takes 3 months to work. Unfortunately my last period started on like the seventh and I didnt see my dr until the twelfth. I have to wait until my next cycle to start the yasmin but in the past my yasmin made it so I had no acne at all :)

MemberMember
(@lostinmyface)

Posted : 11/22/2006 12:06 pm

Hi all

Thanks

Be careful, as BC doesn't always work. I have had acne for 20 years (since I was 11). I have been on BC or 15 years ( 3 different kinds over that time ) And my acne still persists. If your acne is hormonal, it should help you. It usually takes about 3 to 6 months to REALLY clear. If it continues to worsen after a couple of months, I would look into a different dose. It is common to break out a little when you first start using it though becuase you are in face adjusting your hormone levels.... and if your acne is hormonal... welll that just makes sense.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/22/2006 12:36 pm

Hi all

Thanks

Be careful, as BC doesn't always work. I have had acne for 20 years (since I was 11). I have been on BC or 15 years ( 3 different kinds over that time ) And my acne still persists. If your acne is hormonal, it should help you. It usually takes about 3 to 6 months to REALLY clear. If it continues to worsen after a couple of months, I would look into a different dose. It is common to break out a little when you first start using it though becuase you are in face adjusting your hormone levels.... and if your acne is hormonal... welll that just makes sense.

I was put on bcps Yasmin and in worked for me in the past. I am gonna use the same exact medicine again so it will probably work. It depends what kind of birthcontrol pill it is and if estrogen is in it

MemberMember
(@sandia)

Posted : 11/22/2006 8:41 pm

I kept a log of pictures of my skin from when I started the pill and I was looking at them and noticed that by the 5th month, I was clear :D Well, I have red/brown marks left, but no pimples.

MemberMember
(@dreamer_22)

Posted : 12/09/2006 10:12 pm

I'm on my third month now and my acne is a *little* better, hopefully only good things to come...

MemberMember
(@foomph)

Posted : 12/09/2006 11:07 pm

THis was my first time taking Alesse and i tell you, it almost cleared me to the point where I thought I wouldn't need extra help! Allwithing 2 months! But I have a great derm and she gave me accuatne again to make sure it ALL stay clear. But I am NOT getting off this pill ever! Once I finish my second course of accutane I'm staying on it to keep my skin perfect! I tried Diane-35 twice for 9months and it worked, but not perfectly nor as quickly as Alesse.

MemberMember
(@siouxsie)

Posted : 12/10/2006 8:05 pm

Yasmin did nothing for my acne & I took it for 2 years. But everyone is different & some pills may work better. I want to look into Diane-35.

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 12/19/2006 1:10 pm

Moved to Prescriptions forum.

MemberMember
(@keli)

Posted : 12/19/2006 1:17 pm

Hey, I too am on the pill Dianette (Diane-35) and I did breakout very badly - and I mean VERY badly in places I never used to break out before! I'm on my third month right now and I can slightly see a improvement. Alot of people tend to break out during the first months but usually by 4-6 month you will definatley notice an improvment I think.

MemberMember
(@lionqueen)

Posted : 12/21/2006 2:41 pm

Moved to new Hormonal subforum.

MemberMember
(@dreamer_22)

Posted : 06/06/2007 1:33 am

Hi everyone

I thought i'd return to this thread and say that i've been on the pill for 8.5 months and i'm completely clear (I saw results in 7.5 months). BUT it still looks like I have acne, because of all my scars/red marks :( One issue down, one to go...

MemberMember
(@sufferinginpa)

Posted : 06/06/2007 8:22 am

I think it depends on how out of balance your hormones are. I'd give any pill at least 3-6 months. My derm said 2-3 but it usually takes me that long just to stop spotting with a pill.