Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ok so here are two pics of the red marks on me left cheek (which is where they are the worst)

please tell me if you think they are blood vessels, or pigmentation. because i suggested to my doc that they might be blood vessels but she keeps saying that they are pigmentation. and she keeps prescribing me hydroquinone.

also do you think my case is suitable for laser treatment?

**both pics are the same cheek, its just diff lighting and stuff**

[attachmentid=6544][attachmentid=6545]

post-47684-1162609672_thumb.jpg

post-47684-1162609699_thumb.jpg

post-47684-1162609672_thumb.jpg

post-47684-1162609699_thumb.jpg

yellowjello,

Your redmarks are so similar to mine (check out my log)!

They are not blood vessels,

they are kind of pigmentations (scars)!

I tried hydroquinone...does not work at all.

I spent lots of $$$ for dermabrassion and redmarks fading treatment. They did not work for me at all too.

I am planning to do a glycolic acid peel soon.

lasers help red marks, so do peels. as for hydroquinone.... thats for brown marks.

What is hydroquinone topical?

• Hydroquinone decreases the formation of melanin in the skin. Melanin is the pigment in skin that gives it a brown color.

• Hydroquinone topical is used to lighten areas of darkened skin such as freckles, age spots, cholasma, and melasma.

• Hydroquinone topical may also be used for purposes other than those listed here.

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/hydroquinone_topical.html

lasers help red marks, so do peels. as for hydroquinone.... thats for brown marks.

What is hydroquinone topical?

• Hydroquinone decreases the formation of melanin in the skin. Melanin is the pigment in skin that gives it a brown color.

• Hydroquinone topical is used to lighten areas of darkened skin such as freckles, age spots, cholasma, and melasma.

• Hydroquinone topical may also be used for purposes other than those listed here.

http://www.drugs.com/MTM/hydroquinone_topical.html

wait so are you saying mine are red or brown?

hey mines is like that too

but like 3x as bad

it sux

Really badly

sorry, useless posting, felt like saying something

Guest ANajmi85

I have a few of those from this crazy medicine my doctor gave me once. It cleared my face 80% in 3 days!! But I got some really bad red marks.

I have a few of those from this crazy medicine my doctor gave me once. It cleared my face 80% in 3 days!! But I got some really bad red marks.

so what did you do about them ?

yeah i've had redmarks before but milder than yours for about a year or two, but they do fade tho (thank god) although its not baby face clear, im confident and satisfied with it !

yeah i've had redmarks before but milder than yours for about a year or two, but they do fade tho (thank god) although its not baby face clear, im confident and satisfied with it !

ugh mine fade and stuff but i keep getting new pimples which makes them come back, or sometimes creates more

by the way, i might be getting laser in december. has anyone with red marks similar to mine had laser treatment? because i dont really know what type of laser to get. there are so many out there.

hm this is confusing. half the people say they're blood vessels and half the people are saying they're pigmentation.

you can't tell from a picture if they are blood vessels or redmarks. Here's way to help you find out:

Press down on a mark for a few seconds, if the red mark disappears for a second or two then it is a broken blood vessel. Reason being is that the blood in constricted and so the color temporarily fades. For this, exercise, lasers and time are your best bet.

For a red mark that doesn't disappear when you press on it, then it is pigmentation. For comparison, press down on a freckle (if you have any) and you'll see it won't disappear because it is pigemnted skin. For pigmentation, peels like glycolic/lactic, retinoids and different exfoliators will help speed recovery.

Keep in mind, that some may have both broken blood vessels and pigmentation. SO exercise, good diet and sleep will help both regardless.

Guest Locked In Grace

definatly pigmintation. its guna go away with time. i got what you got but worse.

Care to elaborate?

ok so here are two pics of the red marks on me left cheek (which is where they are the worst)

please tell me if you think they are blood vessels, or pigmentation. because i suggested to my doc that they might be blood vessels but she keeps saying that they are pigmentation. and she keeps prescribing me hydroquinone.

also do you think my case is suitable for laser treatment?

**both pics are the same cheek, its just diff lighting and stuff**

[attachmentid=6544][attachmentid=6545]

Vascular scarring and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) go hand in hand in my opinion. Wherever there has been significant trauma to the skin, you're going to get some damaged blood vessels. Hydroquinone wont do a great deal for the vascularity, but it's pretty ace on PIH.

The best thing you can do for both is wear a broad spectrum sunscreen when outdoors. If you don't do that, everything else is just a waste of money.

I'd personally look at either Glycolic Acid peels, or a GA serum. Even a Retinol wouldn't be a bad idea. That should speed up the fading of PIH, and leave you a more realistic idea of how much vascular scarring there is.

the skin tone is rather uneven, i used to have that.Taking alot of vitamin c helps with collagen production and it made my skin tone much better(3.5g a day)

you think its uneven? hm inever really thought i had a prob with that.

Man it seems as though many people are suffering from this hyperpigmentation left over from acne and the scars they leave behind. I have the exact problem all over my forehead. Some on my cheek but my forehead is the most embarassing. I wear a hat or bandana to cover up the marks every time I go out. Like everyone else who suffers from this, it has hindered my self-esteem tremendously. I have been using Kiehl's products for the acne and it has helped quite a bit. I wash my face using the Gentle Foaming Facial Cleanser, if I do not have any actual acne on my face then I proceed with Kiehl's microdermabrasion. After that I apply the Centella Recovery Skin Salve and the BLUE Herbal Moisturizer. Kiehl's also has the BLUE Herbal Spot Treatment for days when you breakout and I usually apply that 3 times daily. This is my regiment for anyone that is interested and it has helped tremendously in controlling my acne. In addition, I've also changed my diet decreasing saturated fats is extremely important as I've discovered. Increasing intake of fiber and good carbs from fruits and vegetables as well as eating a lot of whole grains is also important. I also take vitamins, Stress B-Complex which also contains zinc, vitamin A, C and B. The only real problem I have are these damn scars left all over my face. I am 23 years old and at the stage in my life where I should be out socializing and meeting new people. However, everytime I go out I have to wear a bandana or a hat to cover up my forehead and I am constantly self-conscious about my forehead. I hear time will help heal all this, but time takes too damn long. I have enclosed pics and if anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much for this website and this forum for making me feel not alone, any help would be appreciated. I will update if there is any progress.

[attachmentid=6661]

post-47572-1163535663_thumb.jpg

post-47572-1163535663_thumb.jpg

Hey forehead, Welcome board...

" I am 23 years old and at the stage in my life where I should be out socializing and meeting new people. "

Me too! I know how you feel!

For me, redmarks on my forehead don't take long time to fade, on average, they will fade less than a month.

My redmarks are mainly on my cheeks! Check out my log!

"Thanks so much for this website and this forum for making me feel not alone".... You are not ALONE!

"I will update if there is any progress"....GOOD LUCK, STAY STRONG!

They are red SCARS (indented)...your "redmarks" are so different from mine (check out my log).

Anyway...ya, I see HUGE improvement. Well done & Good Luck!

the skin tone is rather uneven, i used to have that.Taking alot of vitamin c helps with collagen production and it made my skin tone much better(3.5g a day)

you think its uneven? hm inever really thought i had a prob with that.

Dont mean to scare u or anything like that,but there might be some superficial scarring even when the red marks are gone.True red marks are perfectly flat..

Keep using Hydroquinone. It's very effective for preventing brown spots. Those red marks will turn brown in no time if you don't take care of them. Also religiously use sunscreen. Looks like you have some shallow scars left too but you can deal with them later in long term. First priority now is preventing hyperpigmentation as your skin type (Asian) is prone to it. Good luck.