Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prtyblueyes

Lets talk about b5 tolerance

Ive been taking 10g of b5 a day for a couple months now and my oil is starting to come back. In the past I've just upped the dosage and *poof* the oil is gone again for a couple weeks. However I'm somewhat hesitant to go over 10g's a day. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? porfavor

Woah there, pardner, nobody knows what long-term side effects there might be with >2g/day of B5, 'cause there ain't been no studies. I think I, too, started getting a 'tolerance' to B5 'cause it stopped being effective for me even if I bumped the dosage up a bit. I would say give it a break and try other methods. Maybe something else will work, and if not, maybe you can go back on B5 after a month or two and it will work again. This is all guesswork. From all of us. Since there's only one study on these dosages, and it was short-term.

Actually there have been many studies on B vitamins, including B-5, at high dosage and there have been no signs of side effects with one exception, and thats diarrhea. Here are 2 examples. B vitamins have been used for years to treat arthritis and depression. Studies on these have used as much as 3 grams per day. No side effects have been reported.

True though that there has not been long term studies on a dosage as high as 10 grams per. However a doctor i talked to said B vitamins are water soluable, meaning they do not build up in your body, you just "pass out" what your body does not absorb.

Oh and another example, B-5 is now being used for obesity. There are onging studies using high doesages of B-5 to help people lose weight.

There are a lot of sites online about B-5 and its uses. Just go to a search engine and you can learn a lot.

Try switching the brand. When I was on the B5 regiment I noticed a difference depending on the brand. Also some people, myself included have gotten kidney pains from to much B5. Even if it's water soluable, your organs still have to work with the stuff.

However a doctor i talked to said B vitamins are water soluable, meaning they do not build up in your body, you just \"pass out\" what your body does not absorb.

The anecdotal evidence for an effect on acne seems pretty strong, though. Of course, since there aren't any new B5/acne studies coming out, AFAIK, we aren't going to get better than anecdotal evidence, which is why message boares are nice. I would like to hear more if there are any other high dosage long-term B5 studies, but it's not safe to assume that water soluable = no unhealthy dose. I'm no expert, but I remember reading about people taking megadoses of Vit C getting gallstones from it, and Vit C is also water soluable.

anecdotally:

it gave me some bad sides.. did it work for acne? in short: yes. it cleared me up, then it lost effectiveness, but when i upped the dose again it went back to normal. unfortunately popping 20 pills a day is just not for me, and it doesn't feel right. might as well just get accutane, something that will be monitored by professionals as opposed to taking something that, while it seems harmless, nobody really knows what the long term potential problems are

Yeah, I wish someone would study the mechanism on this since it doesn't seem to be just a deficiency (since it loses effectiveness), but seems to work for a lot of people, at least at first.

one side I had was hair loss. now, considering that my dad has a patch of hair missing, prematurely losing hair made me jump off of it very quick

IF you can benefit from b5 at 2g and under a day, which a LOT of people can, i think it's a great supplement to take.. but there is just no way in hell i'd be doing 10g/day or even 5g/day for the rest of my life.

hmm, that's a pretty dramatic side effect. Did the hair come back when you stopped? I've read stuff about needing to supplement w/biotin and/or a b-complex to prevent some side effects like this. I didn't experience anything like it, though.

hmm, that's a pretty dramatic side effect.  Did the hair come back when you stopped?  I've read stuff about needing to supplement w/biotin and/or a b-complex to prevent some side effects like this.  I didn't experience anything like it, though.

i suggest people try a lower dose of b5.

i have a few friends who tried B5, and are now taking 1 to 2g a day and are 90-95% clear. 1 to 2g of b5 a day when supplementing with a b50 complex is not going to have any noticable side effects. i've asked doctors and they said that that's a relatively low dose and it's fine

so yeah, if you get clear on a low dose of b5, it's the best way to go imo. depending on the severity of your acne, that low of a dose is not going to do much. but if you have mild acne, it might workout great, and would only be 4-6 pills a day