Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thEneXtChaPter

do derms get commision off accutane?

Ok derms definately get paid commision to perscribe accutane. I mean only way accutane and their generic producers can sell the product and make money is if the derms perscribe it. If derms perscribe you accutane it means your acne goes away and visits aren't needed anymore.. so they stop having you as a customer.

Derms definately have to get some "under the table" commision money from perscribing accutane.

Ok derms definately get paid commision to perscribe accutane. I mean only way accutane and their generic producers can sell the product and make money is if the derms perscribe it. If derms perscribe you accutane it means your acne goes away and visits aren't needed anymore.. so they stop having you as a customer.

Derms definately have to get some "under the table" commision money from perscribing accutane.

Well, I know they aren't in it to harm the patients by keeping them on a crappy drug longer just so they can collect office visit fees. My doctor frequently doesn't charge me the office visit if it's a follow up. So we can eliminate that they would want their patients to keep coming back. But I don't know about the drug kick backs. I've heard about them but I don't know anything about them. I need to ask my derm. She certainly never suggested Roche Accutane to me. Right away she did generic. She still calls it accutane.

This whole topic has me curious. I don't want to be on a generic that works less effectively than brand. I almost ALWAYS take the generic drugs, though. But I don't use generic groceries (we talked about that) or paper products because I consider them inferior, no matter the money saved. I end up using twice as many paper towels to do the same job as Bounty and Bounty doesn't cost twice as much. Is this the same with generic drugs? I hope not.

Hey, I might do an experiment. Maybe for just one month I will spend the money on Roche Accutane and let you all know if stuff improves.

I dunno.

As i understand it, Roche is not allowed to advertise Accutane in any way in the US - and that includes doctor perks.

they are allowed to advertise directly to doctors (they are allowed to advertise with the accutane name) and to patients as long as they don't use the accutane name.

facefacts.com is direct to patient advertising for accutane. they had TV commercials for this website that didn't mention accutane, but it urged acne patients to see a derm, figuring that some of them would be prescribed accutane.

i don't think that's why it is prescribed though. it's prescribed because the derms actually do want to clear their patients acne. they make lots of money off the patient anyway because they see the derm once a month.

(In addition to everything stated above:)

Presumably doctors go into medicine to help people. Sure, they make some money in the process, but if they were really after money and kickbacks, there are way more lucrative careers available to them. All the doctors I know don't care about the money, they want to help people. Sure, money is nice, but it is not the sole reason for their career choice.

Anyway, in theory what you are proposing could make sense, but is illogical if looked at from a distance. All the generics and possibly the brand name would have to "band together" to accomplish this per your hypothesis, and I am almost certain that is not happening. Further, if they really are getting money from Accutane, they are likely getting kickbacks from all sorts of pharmaceutical companies and maybe Retin-A is actually more lucrative for them than Accutane? Regardless, the doctor is not a salesman who wants you as a repeat customer. It's like saying that the dentist wants to screw your teeth up so you'll come back. Most docs I know would be happy to not see you again, since A- you're better! YAY! and B - there are other people who would like to see him/her. One of my docs has a HUGE waiting list and I was only able to see her because my roommate sees her and it counts as "family". If she lost me as patient she'd be sad to see me go because I am so awesome, but she wouldn't exactly be hurting.

I think you're being a little bit of a conspiracy theorist on this one. My brother was prescribed accutane because he needed it, not because the derm wanted to make a quick buck.

my derm was urging me to take accutane last yr as if there was something in it for her. now what im saying is, accutane would makes the derms lose money, because you only go to them for 5 months and then your acne free, where as without tane you could be going to a derm for yrs. I think derms get some kind of paid commision. thats how it works these days.

My derm is a pretty nice guy. So next time I go in for my appt. I'm going to ask him if he gets a commission prescribing Accutane. Why not? There's no reason to lie about it, and I'm not going to stop taking it just because he gets a lousy commission. And if he does, oh well, as long as it works.

my derm was urging me to take accutane last yr as if there was something in it for her. now what im saying is, accutane would makes the derms lose money, because you only go to them for 5 months and then your acne free, where as without tane you could be going to a derm for yrs. I think derms get some kind of paid commision. thats how it works these days.

my derm left it completely up to me. she asked if i thought about accutane and i said i didn't have a problem taking it. then she said "do you want to take it. i really don't think they get paid. she probably just really believes in the drug. it is good stuff.

I'm sure if they get some kind of kickback from prescribing accutane they would also get one from prescribing retin a, etc.

imagine if someone was allowed to advertise accutane.. they could make a happy commerical and many many many MANY people would demand it...\

magine if someone was allowed to advertise accutane.. they could make a happy commerical and many many many MANY people would demand it...\

they can use direct to patient advertising in canada,

i wonder if more people demand it there.

when i went on accutane my doctor prescribed it as a last resort... only after trying to cure my acne with various other less dangerous treatments did he finally allow me to go on accutane, and totally left it up to me to decide if i wanted to try it, because it was the only thing left to try.

This is just bizarre: are you saying that all doctors get some sort of commission for the meds they prescribe? Because, NO prescription med of any sort would be sold unless a doctor somewhere prescribed it.

On the other hand, doctors certainly do focus in on certain meds and also on certain brand names instead of generics. They may base this on their honest opinion that certain meds or brand names are better than others. Or, like the rest of us, may do it for other reasons like marketing. Believe me, doctors are influenced by pharm. marketers!

it is illegal for a doctor to take kickbacks for prescribing a certain drug. that's how you lose your licence. what a ridiculous thread!

It's not ridiculous thread. Sheesh. We were just asking. How the hell would we know if we didn't ask?

As i understand it, Roche is not allowed to advertise Accutane in any way in the US - and that includes doctor perks.

Every other drug company advertises. Why is Accutane banned from advertising?

This is just bizarre: are you saying that all doctors get some sort of commission for the meds they prescribe? Because, NO prescription med of any sort would be sold unless a doctor somewhere prescribed it.

On the other hand, doctors certainly do focus in on certain meds and also on certain brand names instead of generics. They may base this on their honest opinion that certain meds or brand names are better than others. Or, like the rest of us, may do it for other reasons like marketing. Believe me, doctors are influenced by pharm. marketers!

i don't know that all doctor's believe more in a specific brand when they prescribe a med. i think they just use that name b/c everyone does that. before accutane i took generic acetaminophen for pain relief but i always referred to it as "tylenol" b/c it's essentially the same thing. just like my birth control when someone asks what i'm on i say orthotricycline but it's not it's called tri nessa or something like that. i think the name brand just allows patients to better understand what they're going to be taking by the reputation it gets.