Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yelhsa1127

doc says no to generic!?!

I went to the dermo. yesterday and started my waiting month for accutane. I would like to take the generic form of accutane because it is so much cheaper, but my doc said that he STRONGLY reccomends the name brand accutane. He says that the name brand absorbs better and they see better results with it. Has anyone else heard this?

no, my derm said the generics were fine. they are exactly the same. just ask the pharmacy to fill it with generic.

I went to the dermo. yesterday and started my waiting month for accutane. I would like to take the generic form of accutane because it is so much cheaper, but my doc said that he STRONGLY reccomends the name brand accutane. He says that the name brand absorbs better and they see better results with it. Has anyone else heard this?

went to the derm today and we talked about it, she said the generics are really something to avoid; now I don't know what's the tane price in the U.S, but here it's 120 bucks a month, so pretty much everyone can afford it...see, there's at least 1 good reason to live in Canada, you bastards :D:D:D

My derm also recommended the brand name, he just feels it works better. He told me that if there was a huge difference in my co-payment then to get the generic, but he preferred I get Accutane.

too bad generics are so much more expensive. My derm said that if you do generics you will have to be on them longer, so you will rack up more money in the long run with doc visits and stuff

Yeah, are there any studies on the success/failure rate of generic vs. brand name? I'm open to believing anything, so long as there's something more substantial than a derm's word on it (given that I've been to derms who are absolutely retarded).

I agree. i've been looking for info on generic vs. brand name. the only thing i could find is an article that says some generics don't absorb as well as brand names, but i couldn't find anything specifically for accutane. If anyone can find some info please pass it on to me! :)

i wanted the real deal myself, but my derm told me the generic was fine. infact i dont think they even had accutane at the pharms here so they only had the generic, atleast at the pharmacies over here. anyway the generic did the trick for me just as well. Besides, the generics are the real deal. I mean they are produced to effectively kill acne right? they aren't just thrown out there, they are made with the same intent of being a very powerful acne drug, and by all means it lives up to it.

Hmmm, I wonder.....

Is your derm getting kick-backs from Roche?

i wonder about that too.....

This topic has me concerned, though. I'm going to ask my pharmacy how much Roche Accutane would cost on my insurance. I only pay $10 for 40mg 30day supply. I would gladly pay more if it works that much better. But say it only works 10-20% better. Would I be willing to pay 400% more for it? My brand copay is usually $40.

:wacko:

The bioequivalence profiles for generic isotretinoin are virtually identical. The approved generics (Claravis, Amnesteem, Sotret) work just fine. I've used both brand and generic (Claravis) and they both did the job.

I pay $50 for the brand, and I think the generic would only be $10. I actually had a hard time finding the brand name the first time I got my prescription. I just stuck with the brand though, since that's what I started with. I think my derm likes brand in general...when I was on antibiotics he always gave me the brand...guess everybody just has different opinions.

For some generics it's probably justified given the wide range that the FDA qualifies as bioequivalent (80% to 125% of the brand name), but with isotretinoin, the curves are virtually identical.

This topic has me concerned, though. I'm going to ask my pharmacy how much Roche Accutane would cost on my insurance. I only pay $10 for 40mg 30day supply. I would gladly pay more if it works that much better. But say it only works 10-20% better. Would I be willing to pay 400% more for it? My brand copay is usually $40.

also, you have to consider that if the generic DOES take longer to work as wll as the brand name, you would have more doctor visit copays, blood tests, etc....not just the prescription price

Yeah, I was thinking of that. Or, the derm could just rx me a higher dosage of generic. It might still be cheaper.

I'm not gonna worry this month but when I see the doc for the followup, I'll ask her about what we've been talking about. Again, she went directly to generic for me so she's not trying to sell Accutane brand. And she's not the type of person to keep me coming back just for the money.

I read that anything generic works just as fine and the pharmacy people also said that as well as dome things i read online. Bith the generic and normal versions of Accutane do the same thing

If the generic is the same dosage as the brand name you would have taken, there's no reason to suppose that you would have to take it for a longer period of time... Generics are fine, it's the same active ingredient, only differs in inert ingredients and formulation--things like absorption would be the only affected qualities of the drug, and for a widely-used drug for which generics have been available for ages, there is nothing to worry about--consider them identical in every respect except the colors on the bottle.

the only difference between brand name accutane and its generic is the price. i always get the generic brand of any drug if it's available.

my derm was also strictly against generics..so much that she told me to call if the pharmacist decided to give me it

she says the brand name gives less side effects and works better

eh..i aint paying for it so whatever

i actually heard someone's derm on here wouldn't prescribe brand, only amnesteem, because they thought it worked the best. personally i think it is all the same.

i think that they are all the same but i have now way of knowing cuz ive only taken claravis. it has been nothing but amazing so far for me.

i think that they are all the same but i have now way of knowing cuz ive only taken claravis. it has been nothing but amazing so far for me.

I think I will stick with my $10 Sotret. It seems to be doing it's job with minimal side effects. If I need a second course I may ask for Accutane.

im using generic and its perfect! im only a month in and its looking pretty ood.. my derm said there really is no difference, just the price!