Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timy

Guess I was in lala land

Couple of months ago I started taking 100 mg of mino twice a day. I took accutane bit over a year ago and have found the acne to return. Anywho my skin started to clear up from the mino, so I dropped down to 100 mg a day.... then here the last two weeks I've dropped to every other day 100 mg since my skin was doing good. I haven't had a "pimple" in probably 3-4 weeks, which was awesome. I was honestly starting to think maybe I was "growing" out of my long time acne. Here lately, though, I have noticed getting little zits here and there popping up, and my skin being a bit more bumpy... so much for that I guess.

I'm contimplating doing another round of accutane. Couple reasons that stop me is for one at my job I work outside, and winter is coming plus windy would equal hell on accutane I would imagine. Two, I work out and have finally put on some decent size, I remember being extremely tired on accutane so I'd find it hard to work out.

I only plan on doing 20 mg, but my acne at this point is very mild, but I am at the point where enough is enough, even these littles zits and bumps are bothering me. I would just kick up the mino, but it gives me headaches and leaves me a bit nautious, which is why I have dropped down....

Any opinions? Should I just tought it til summer and then go on accutane? Sucks having a crummy job.

hey i think mino was awesome! it worked amazingly well for me but its TEMPORARY in my opinion.The thing is you are gonna get headaches on tane.i never ever had headaces on mino but on Tane i get them at least once a day.not killer headaches but definetely noticable.

hey i think mino was awesome! it worked amazingly well for me but its TEMPORARY in my opinion.The thing is you are gonna get headaches on tane.i never ever had headaces on mino but on Tane i get them at least once a day.not killer headaches but definetely noticable.

Yeah, I really can't recall whether I had head aches or not. Really my biggest thing is I don't want to turn all red again, although I am slightly still, and I work outside and it'll be cold soon, so its like what do you do?

false. I don't dispute that you got headaches, but to say "The thing is you are gonna get headaches on tane" is just false. Most people do not. I NEVER did and I'm on my third course. It is a very uncommon side effect.

If you had said: "you might get headaches, I did" I wouldn't have called you on it. But to state that he WILL, is just plain false.

However, severe headaches are one of the more serious side effects - if you get them, you should talk to your doctor immediately as it could indicate a very, very rare, but serious side effect.

Couple of months ago I started taking 100 mg of mino twice a day. I took accutane bit over a year ago and have found the acne to return. Anywho my skin started to clear up from the mino, so I dropped down to 100 mg a day.... then here the last two weeks I've dropped to every other day 100 mg since my skin was doing good. I haven't had a "pimple" in probably 3-4 weeks, which was awesome. I was honestly starting to think maybe I was "growing" out of my long time acne. Here lately, though, I have noticed getting little zits here and there popping up, and my skin being a bit more bumpy... so much for that I guess.

I'm contimplating doing another round of accutane. Couple reasons that stop me is for one at my job I work outside, and winter is coming plus windy would equal hell on accutane I would imagine. Two, I work out and have finally put on some decent size, I remember being extremely tired on accutane so I'd find it hard to work out.

I only plan on doing 20 mg, but my acne at this point is very mild, but I am at the point where enough is enough, even these littles zits and bumps are bothering me. I would just kick up the mino, but it gives me headaches and leaves me a bit nautious, which is why I have dropped down....

Any opinions? Should I just tought it til summer and then go on accutane? Sucks having a crummy job.

I had the same issue on mino - it would actually work quite well, and did so for several years after my second course of accutane started wearing off after about 6 years. I took 200 mg of mino per day and if I did that, my condition wasn't 100% perfect, but pretty darn OK. Every single time I tried to wean down to 100 per day, I'd get a break out. I finally figured out that the lowest I could go was about 150 per day (200/day alternating with 100/day). Every time I tried to go down to 100 per day, I'd get quite a bit worse after about 3-4 weeks, like clock work. When I upped again to 150 or 200, I'd get better within 3-4 weeks like clockwork.

I tried several differnt topicals and none helped very much. Differin and RetinA were the best, but not all that helpful. I could get down to 150/day with RetinA with less breakouts than 150 per day with anything else.

Because of this, I am on my third course of accutane. The condition isn't that bad, but I couldn't wean off of minocycline so I'm trying for a long term or permanent cure with a third course, with a cumulative dosage higher than the first two.

As far as the dry windy weather issue: I would probably give the accutane a try anyway. But I'd put on a strong (e.g. spf30) , moisturizing, noncomedogenic sunscreen as a morning routine every day, maybe even again at lunch break. I'd also use moisturizing lotion (maybe even the same sunscreen if it's a good moisturizer) at night and a good sunscreen chapstick or vaseline on my lips virtually all the time.

If you can tough out the mino through spring, that might be a way to go, sticking with the minimum dosage that works for you (e.g. 100/day)

The thing about Mino is that it's an antibiotic. I don't think it's very good to be on an antibiotic long term because it tends to kill the immune system after while. Also, I've heard from a lot of resources, that Mino is very temporary and as a result, patients switch to Accutane for long term results.

I had the same issue on mino - it would actually work quite well, and did so for several years after my second course of accutane started wearing off after about 6 years. I took 200 mg of mino per day and if I did that, my condition wasn't 100% perfect, but pretty darn OK. Every single time I tried to wean down to 100 per day, I'd get a break out. I finally figured out that the lowest I could go was about 150 per day (200/day alternating with 100/day). Every time I tried to go down to 100 per day, I'd get quite a bit worse after about 3-4 weeks, like clock work. When I upped again to 150 or 200, I'd get better within 3-4 weeks like clockwork.

I tried several differnt topicals and none helped very much. Differin and RetinA were the best, but not all that helpful. I could get down to 150/day with RetinA with less breakouts than 150 per day with anything else.

Because of this, I am on my third course of accutane. The condition isn't that bad, but I couldn't wean off of minocycline so I'm trying for a long term or permanent cure with a third course, with a cumulative dosage higher than the first two.

As far as the dry windy weather issue: I would probably give the accutane a try anyway. But I'd put on a strong (e.g. spf30) , moisturizing, noncomedogenic sunscreen as a morning routine every day, maybe even again at lunch break. I'd also use moisturizing lotion (maybe even the same sunscreen if it's a good moisturizer) at night and a good sunscreen chapstick or vaseline on my lips virtually all the time.

If you can tough out the mino through spring, that might be a way to go, sticking with the minimum dosage that works for you (e.g. 100/day)

Thanks for the reply. I'm on 100 mg every other day right now, have been for the last couple weeks. May take a couple more to see the affects of this, but I could live where I am at right now, but if it got much worse I'd have to do something different. I'm not real crazy about staying on an antibiotic, as mentioned already, plus I read where after a while it can turn some of the red marks on your face purplish or something. Man I just hate having to go back on accutane, cause it seems like it puts life on hold for 5 months. It's like when does it end?

thanks guys

The thing about Mino is that it's an antibiotic. I don't think it's very good to be on an antibiotic long term because it tends to kill the immune system after while. Also, I've heard from a lot of resources, that Mino is very temporary and as a result, patients switch to Accutane for long term results.

I've been on accutane, so obviously the long term results kind of went out the window, although my acne is a lot milder now.

I've been on accutane, so obviously the long term results kind of went out the window, although my acne is a lot milder now.

If you've read any of my other messages, you'll know that I'm on my third course, 10 years apart on each. Each time, the recurrance happened, but much milder than before. YOu should think of another course, and I think you can reasonably expect for a longer solution and if/when it recurrs to be milder still. That means next time, if it does come back, less mino might indeed keep it in check, or maybe even topicals. Could just disappear permanently also. Give it a thought anyway.

If you've read any of my other messages, you'll know that I'm on my third course, 10 years apart on each. Each time, the recurrance happened, but much milder than before. YOu should think of another course, and I think you can reasonably expect for a longer solution and if/when it recurrs to be milder still. That means next time, if it does come back, less mino might indeed keep it in check, or maybe even topicals. Could just disappear permanently also. Give it a thought anyway.

Don't take this as an insult put your post is depressing. Are you male or female? I don't know what I'll do if I have acne much longer, much less 10 years from now.

Don't take this as an insult put your post is depressing. Are you male or female? I don't know what I'll do if I have acne much longer, much less 10 years from now.

No insult taken. I'm a guy by the way. But no need to be depressed. If you treat aggressively with accutane, you really won't have acne much longer. You'll get cleared up and chances are you'll stay clear for a long time, if not forever. (statistically, cure rate after second course is pretty high).

I'll admit - when it started returning about 5 years after the first course, I was pissed and depressed. In retrospect, I would not have messed around much with non-accutane treataments. I would have given antibiotics a chance - maybe a couple different tries at 6 weeks each. After that, bam - I would have insisted on accutane. As it was, I messed around for a couple of years and that was the depressing part. I thought I could "lick it" through some force of will. Why did I do that? Just stupid. Taking a second course (and now a third) of accutane doesn't depress me at all. I feel good that I'm solving a problem. Not doing it sooner is what made it depressing.

So what if you need to take 2 or 3 courses of accutane over the next cuple of decades? no big deal. Plus, statistically speaking you're not likely to need it again after the second course, especially if you take the full 125+ mg/kg cumulative dosage. I never took that much - both times 1/2 that much. I really think if I'd been prescribed the full amount the second time, I'd be done.

I urge you not to get depressed. Just deal with the problem with as much information and assertiveness as you can. Its a simple medical problem that can (usually) be solved or made much bette with medication. If you had some sort of other recurring skin condition that could be cured or made very tolerable with simple medication, you wouln't think twice. Acne has a stigma (it sure does for me!), that's the only difference. WE get depressed about it and somehow feel inferior becausse of it.

Solve the problem. If you need to solve it again in a few years, do it again.

No insult taken. I'm a guy by the way. But no need to be depressed. If you treat aggressively with accutane, you really won't have acne much longer. You'll get cleared up and chances are you'll stay clear for a long time, if not forever. (statistically, cure rate after second course is pretty high).

I'll admit - when it started returning about 5 years after the first course, I was pissed and depressed. In retrospect, I would not have messed around much with non-accutane treataments. I would have given antibiotics a chance - maybe a couple different tries at 6 weeks each. After that, bam - I would have insisted on accutane. As it was, I messed around for a couple of years and that was the depressing part. I thought I could "lick it" through some force of will. Why did I do that? Just stupid. Taking a second course (and now a third) of accutane doesn't depress me at all. I feel good that I'm solving a problem. Not doing it sooner is what made it depressing.

So what if you need to take 2 or 3 courses of accutane over the next cuple of decades? no big deal. Plus, statistically speaking you're not likely to need it again after the second course, especially if you take the full 125+ mg/kg cumulative dosage. I never took that much - both times 1/2 that much. I really think if I'd been prescribed the full amount the second time, I'd be done.

I urge you not to get depressed. Just deal with the problem with as much information and assertiveness as you can. Its a simple medical problem that can (usually) be solved or made much bette with medication. If you had some sort of other recurring skin condition that could be cured or made very tolerable with simple medication, you wouln't think twice. Acne has a stigma (it sure does for me!), that's the only difference. WE get depressed about it and somehow feel inferior becausse of it.

Solve the problem. If you need to solve it again in a few years, do it again.

I guess its just depressing that you're still dealing with the problem this late in the game. I guess I view acne as a primarily teenage deal, and it is, but sad to see people still messing with it many years later.

I understand where you're coming from, and appreciate the advice. I'll probably see what happens when I drop down to like mino every coupleof days. Right now the only active thing I have is a few small bumps in my chin area.

Thanks broitheer

Have you tried doxycycline? It didn't cause nausea for me and worked great. But the sun sensitivity was horrible. And wind burns, too.

On second thought, nevermind. Go for the accutane..... :)

Have you tried doxycycline? It didn't cause nausea for me and worked great. But the sun sensitivity was horrible. And wind burns, too.

On second thought, nevermind. Go for the accutane..... :)

Hah, yeah, if I were to go on a different medicine it would be accutane, just not quite sure yet. Also I've been getting big into working out, but I remember how easily sore you get, plus the lack of energy. You lose a lot of muscle in 5 months.

have you tried topicals like bp? since your acne is mild it may work for you and you won't have to go back on accutane.

have you tried topicals like bp? since your acne is mild it may work for you and you won't have to go back on accutane.

Tried green cream a while back and didn't have much success. To be honest I'm just not crazy about applying stuff to my face. I hate doing it, and I hate having to rely ona cream on my face.