Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Momotaro

Accutane Journal

Just got my blood test and urine sample test faxed to my derm for accutane. I have to wait until tomorrow to get my prescription, but I can wait. After reading people's experiences on accutane, and how good of a result they got, I finally decided to take it. I'm 18 and I have very mild acne. I had acne for three years. My acne changed from being mild-to-moderate and back to mild again. I would get severe breakouts when winter and spring came. I've been on benza-clin, pro-active, differin, tazorac, tetracyclin, and minocyclin. Pro-active didn't work well for me, but the rest of the medication did for a while. I'll post weekly on my progress.

Just got my accutane today, but I was prescribed with the generic form of accutane called Amnesteem. Even though its generic and cheaper, It still has the same quality, strength, purity, and stability as Accutane. I'm taking 80 mg a day for the next 5 months. I think that the dosage is a little bit too high for me, because my acne is very light. But after reading people's accutane journals I found out that the dosage is related to the weight. I do weigh a little bit too much...about 185 lbs. I was shocked to find out that my cholesterol was a little bit too high. Now I have to plan on going to the gym, while going to college, and working..Ugh! Anyways I have some questions to ask to some of you who took accutane. Can you take accutane with milk? because if its possible I am so happy. I had to cancel milk out of my diet for a year, because I thought that diary products caused acne. Well, I have to go now, bye.

WEEK 1:

Having breakouts on the sides of my forehead. Didn't had a breakout there for three years, now its coming back again. Also, I'm breaking out on the sides of my lower cheeks. My lips are becoming a little dry. Well, by the looks of it, I'm not seeing any improvement. The side effect that I am experiencing now is dry lips.

What i've heard: Worse the initial breakout - better future results/for longer.

Good luck, remember not to give up, it's pretty tough. I'm into my 6th week and still struggling.

Week 2:

A lot of changes happen to me during this week. I'm still having breakouts, and the acne that I had before are beginning to leave red marks. My face is beginning to look a little bit red and my nose is beginning to feel very dry. Also, my eyes and lips are becoming dry. Acne that shows up on my face don't stay for too long. Takes about a day or two for it to go away, but it leaves a red mark. Before I took accutane, my nose was kind of oily. Everytime I squeezed my nose, white little strings would come out. Now my nose is very dry, and every time I squeeze it, nothing would come out. Well, I have to go bed now, Goodnight....

Hey i'm 19 and am kinda the same. My acne in the last 3 years went from mild to moderate and now back to mild but very persistent with larger break outs every so often. I've tried oral anibiotics, retin a, benzamycin, and the regiment with no real effect. I've never been to a derm and really want to give accutane a try but thought they would just say my acne wasn't "bad". Just wondering was it hard to get your derm to prescribe it to you? Any tips as i've never been to a derm before

Thanks and Good luck

E

It wasn't hard for me to get my prescription. I just told my derm all the medication that i've been on. The derm might prescribe you tazorac before accutane. My derm told me that tazorac is the 2nd strongest medication for acne. I tried it, and it worked. After awhile though, my acne began coming back and the Tazorac really wasn't effective as it was before. Its good to have insurance. Without my insurance, I would be spending $800 a month for my monthly visits to the derm and my prescription accutane. When you do meet up with a derm, just be yourself.

I must have gotten a really, really odd sawbones, because my guy didn't even go with anything "below" Accutane in terms of potentness. I told him that I hadn't used much in the way of medication (some antibiotic years ago that I just never stuck to) and that I wanted clear skin for when I get married next summer ... the groom isn't supposed to detract from the bride, and I'm sure bright red marks on my face may steal some of the attention. Anyway, he basically said, if you're willing to put up with the side-effects, I'm willing to put you on Accutane, and here I am.

Five days in, mind you, but when it gets tough, I'm just going to have to think of the fact that I'm doing this not only for myself but also for my fiancee.

WEEK 3:

Well, i'm still having breakouts. My lips has gotten to the point where it is cracking and bleeding. It doesn't bother me now, because i'm using a chap stick. Anyways, new acne that shows up on my face goes away pretty quickly. Right now, I have up to 3 active pimples on my face. Its difficult to shave, because I'm afraid that I might irritate my skin and that would lead to more acne. Doesn't anybody know a good eletric razor that won't irritate the skin?

Which razor/shaving cream are you using? Umm, most electric razors out there are pretty good. I have the Remington Microscreen 2 (microscreen 3 is out now). There are electric razors that have replaceable gel packs...i want one

WEEK:4

It seems as though my lips and skin are getting dryer. Had to shave all my facial hair that was growing from my sideburns, all the way to my neck. after shaving all my facial hair, I noticed that my red marks that I had on the lower bottom of my cheeks had faded away. I was so happy to see that they were gone. But I have like 6 red marks on the upper part of my right cheek from the breakout I had while on accutane, ARRGGHHH!!!Well, right now I have about 2 active zits on my face. Also, I think its taking longer for my skin to heal, because I had this tiny zit on my nose that popped a week ago, and it is still healing. The things that I am using on my face while on accutane is cetaphil facial cleanser and neutrogena mouisterizer with spf 15. So far, my face is getting a lot better.

Week 5:

Its been awful this past week. I'm beginning to have breakouts all over my face. My face is getting pretty red and my hands are drying up. Also, my face is covered with all this dead skin and it's hard trying to cover it up with a mouisterizer. My lips are bleeding and it hurts when I try to open my mouth. It's now taking longer for pimples to go away, takes about 5 days now. Right now, I have about 6 pimples. I'm really depressed. When I went to use one of the public bathrooms at my campus and when I looked in the mirror, I was shocked to see what my face looked like. My face was covered with all these red marks and dead skin, I stood there looking at the mirror confused. I hate the public bathrooms at my campus, because they always use those bright lights that reflect everything that is shown on the face. I really hope that my face clears up before next semester, because I really don't want to attend classes looking like this.

I am so sorry acne_suks. I never thought anybody would reply in my journal. Anyways, i never use shaving cream, because the last time i used it I broke out everywhere. I use only gilette sensor excel. Also, I did receive an eletric shaver from my godmother, but after awhile it began to irritate my skin. I read your accutane log and all I have to say is I hope that in the future, both of us won't have to suffer from acne again after taking accutane. Oh, again I'm sorry for not replying. I feel bad now sad.gif

Week 6:

Same as last week. My face is getting redder. I'm beginning to look like a tomatoe. As for the side effects, my face is not so flaky and the dryness on my hands are disappearing. Also, I don't need to apply chapstick to my lips, because they're really not dry. Right now I have two zits on my face. They're really small though. My main concern is the red marks that are beginning to appear. They look so disgusting. It looks as though someone painted my face with red polkadots. Anyways, Christmas is coming up soon and my parents are hosting this big Christmas party. I really don't want to attend it, because I hate it when relatives look at me and then begin having that concern look on their face. What I really hate the most is when I have to meet all my acne-free, good-looking cousins. It's sad to know that i'll be the only one at the party with this skin disorder. If I don't see any improvement before Christmas day, I guess I won't be attending the party...

nice, hope it works for ya. It shouldn't break you out -- aloe vera is proven to treat acne too! Make sure you get the right product. It'll probably work within a few days. Like I said -- after 2 months, you'll start turning natural color again anyway.

Aloe vera is very effective healing... I remember this as the first i heard of it was when i had horses and they vamped product when discovered.

Later realising it was Human use i also used on skin and worked quite well.

And its natural product so wouldnt think it would cause a breakout.

G'luck

I have it in my journal, the first post. It's called...um

Fruit of the Earth's 100% Aloe Vera (something like that, look in journal)

I got a huge bottle of it from rite-aid for like $7

WEEK 7:

This has been a bad week for me. My face broke out, resulting in 14 zits. Some are really small, while others are a little bit big. I'm hoping that it will all go away by Christmas. acne_suks and R4chel, it wasn't the aloe-vera that caused me to breakout, because i'm only applying it to my cheeks. That is where most of the redness is. The area where I usually breakout is on the lower bottom of my cheeks. So far, I think the aloe-vera is working pretty well, because my cheeks aren't that really red anymore. Thanks for the advice. The side effects that I'm experiencing is a little bit dry skin and chapped lips. Also, while I was cleaning my 40gal. fish tank (which I've been cleaning since I was 12), I had a back ache. It was the first time that I experience a back problem. I don't know if it is due to the accutane or if its just me getting older. Another problem is sleeping. Lately, its been hard for me to go to sleep. Last night when I was in bed, it took about 2 hours for me to get sleepy. During that night, when I finally was asleep, I accidentally rolled my body off the bed. I never had rolled my body off the bed before, it was kind of a weird experience. Right now, I think the accutane is beginning to show some improvement on my face. Even though I had a big breakout this week, I have a feeling that it will be gone by next weeks update. I'm going to go bed now and I'm hoping not to fall of my bed again [-o< .

Before i go to bed, i just wanted to say...

I WISH ALL OF YOU A HAPPY MERRY CHRISTMAS biggrin.gif !!!

merry x-mas to you too smile.gif Hang in there man, those pimples will be gone soon! Yeah -- some nights i can't sleep at all!! I'll stay up for about 2 hours(same as you) and trytrytry to fall asleep...bleh

Well I'm not sure if this is from Accutane, It could be though. But i still think it'll be worth it when we're clear wink.gif

Week 8:

Well, its been two months now since I started accutane. I feel as though that it was a mistake that I decided to take accutane. My face looks a lot worser now than it did before. My face is covered with a ton of hyperpigmentation. As for the side effects, it looks as though the area of skin shedding on my face is spreading. I used to shed only on my cheeks, but now it has expanded up to the sides of my forehead. I'm still having trouble sleeping, but its not as frequent as it used to be, thanks to the power of yoga smile.gif . I currently have 9 zits on my face. I'm now breaking out at the sides of my forehead and cheeks sad.gif . Whenever a zit is not active anymore, it would leave this horrible color spot. Although my face looks like [email protected], i'm still going to continue taking accutane. I'm hoping that I will see improvement by the end of month 3 [-o< .

Week 9:

Well, my face is looking a lot better than before. I'm still breaking out, but they're not that bad. I get my haircut done only by my Aunt. I don't trust the barber shops anymore, because the last time I went I notice that the barber didn't wash his hands. He was touching all over my face when he was cutting my hair. The next day when I woke up, I had broke out all over my the sides of my forehead. Also, I think that barbers should at least sanitize their haircut equipment before use, because you never know what those equipment have been through. For the side effects, I only experience.......well, I don't know if this is a side effect, but I've been producing a lot of boogers up my nose. Anybody else experience this.

Well, I have to go now, Bye.