Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koji

Newbie here - please respond

I know this must've been discussed before but please give me your input. What is the best cleanser for this regimen? Cetaphil or Purpose? or something else you suggest? I am looking for a new cleanser so just want your opinions before I go buy it this weekend. Thank you!

Most people here seem to like Purpose, Cetaphil feels a little too much like a lotion (and can leave a residue on your skin, so it feels not as clean). i had to do a lot of experimenting before i found the right cleanser for me--sodium lauryl sulfate (a common ingredient in many cleansers) actually makes me break out, so i had to find a different cleanser. There is a Cetaphil for normal-to-oily skin that i've used, and i liked it better than the regular formulation--it's clear and foams a little, so it feels cleaner.

Guys thanks for your help. I was all ready to go get the cetaphil but then read on the other thread that it has sodium lauryl sulfate. I don't know for sure if it breaks me out or not but I don't want to take the chance. Does the cetaphil normal-to-oil skin dry your skin out? Oh and I live in the U.S.

The cetaphil for normal-to-oily skin dried my skin out, but i think that was because of the sodium lauryl sulfate. Not everyone is as sensitive to SLS as i am, many people use cleansers with SLS and have no problems. What clued me into the possibility of SLS being a culprit was this: my acne was mainly on my forehead, it was a rash-like acne (no large cysts, but many many small red inflamed pores/comedones which crusted over and didn't clear with BP or SA) along my temples and hairline. I read about SLS and shampoos, and the fact that it was used in labs to irritate skin on purpose (to test anti-inflammatory drugs/skin treatments).

That said, not everyone has the kind of acne i had. If your acne is mostly the whitehead/cyst type, and is not localized to your forehead, it's likely you do not have issues with sodium lauryl sulfate. (I'm tryin' to save you money here--the natural cleansers are often pricier than the drugstore variety!). If, on the other hand, you notice a lot of breakouts on your forehead or around your lips (toothpaste can have SLS in it) then you might want to experiment with SLS-free cleansers.

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/article6.htm#inglist Here is a link to a list of commonly used ingredients in cleansers, moisturizers, etc. If an ingredient has a rating of 3 or higher in the comodegenic column, some suggest avoiding it. SLS has a rating of 3, but not everyone reacts to it the same way. The irritation factor for an ingredient can contribute to acne, as well. Acne prone skin is easily irritated.

Personally, i have found that Jason Natural Super C Gentle Cleanser works very well for me. But that is just my skin. My suggestion would be:

1. If you want a 'cleaner' feeling cleanser, try the Cetaphil for Oily skin (if you have oily skin, some people with acne do not). Use a small amount and rinse well. Use only your hands to wash and rinse, no washcloths, as this can irritate skin and washcloths can harbor bacteria.

2. If you find your acne is not improving, and is the type i described above (localized to hairline, forehead, etc) then try a SLS free cleanser. I found my cleanser at the health food store, you can also buy it online at http://www.drugstore.com There are some in the drugstores, i think that Neutrogena makes one but i am not sure. Use the list found at the link above when you go shopping. It's amazing how many companies use comodegenic ingredients in supposedly "noncomedogenic" products.

I hope this helped and has not confused you further! And BTW, i dont' sell Jason Natural, nor do i have any stock in the company, it's just what has worked for me. I also use Neutrogena On the Spot and Eucerin Renewal SPF 15.

Ashersmom,

I definitly have acne like yours, more rash like than cycstic. I want to try the Jason Natural face wash that you recommendated, but on the drugstore.com desrciption it says that it has BHA. I'm already using PC's 2% BHA so I'm afraid it might be too much. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Koji,

You can see if there is another Jason Natural product (or other natural cleanser) that you can use. I've never found salicylic acid (a BHA) to be effective on my pores, so i don't use a BHA product that stays on my skin. The AHA works fine for me. Maybe some other posters here have used a BHA cleanser and BHA lotion together, i don't know. the cleanser doesn't really stay on your face long enough to do a lot of work--i think BHA has to stay on your skin a while to effectively shed skin cells, so the cleanser + the lotion shouldn't do too much damage.

http://www.jason-natural.com/html/oily_skin.html Here are Jason Natural products for oily skin. They don't have a list of ingredients, but if you can find them at a health food store (or even call the company) you can find out the ingredients.

Toll Free: 877-JASON-01 extension 331

Local: 310-838-7543 extension 331

Click here for general inquiry.

JASON Natural Cosmetics are available at your local natural / health food stores in United States, Canada and are available around the world. If you are unable to find a particular product, please call the JASON Consumer Hotline: 1-877-JASON-01.

The key is to find a cleanser without SLS, it's not neccessary that it be a 'natural' product, just if you can avoid the ingredients that irritate your skin.

It goes without saying (but i'll say it anyway) that if you change your cleanser to a SLS free one, but not your shampoo, you won't see results. Since shampoo can drip onto your face and forehead, you're going to need to find a SLS free shampoo, if you want to see if cutting out SLS will help. I like Avalon Organics shampoos, specifically the Rosemary, and Trader Joe's also has an SLS free shampoo that my husband uses (it's also cheaper than the Avalon). You can find Avalon at a health food store, or perhaps Drugstore.com. So change both your shampoo and cleanser, if you want to see if SLS is causing some of your acne.