Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dirtedog

Started today, help! Few questions.

Hey all :angel:

I'm 19, male, and have been at war with acne since I was about 11. I would say I have moderate acne. Everyone else in my social environment seems to have perfect skin. Only on rare occasions do I see someone even mild acne. It really gets me down, and breaks my heart every time I look in the mirror. I can't take it anymore! :cry: . My acne gets worse during the summer, and because I live in New Zealand, summer is now!

Last Christmas was the first time I really broke out. I went to the derm and he gave me erythromycin pills. They were horrible. They made my stomach really upset by causing hunger pains. I gave up after a month. About that time a family member who had mild acne suggested Proactiv. Her face had cleared up with the product and she was spotless. So I ordered the system. I found it worked to a small extent, but the harsh cleanser would scrap off my pimples and make my face bleed. The only Proactiv product I would recommend would be the refining mask, and maybe the BP.

With only a slight improvement I went back to the derm who then put me on doxycycline. I cannot use Accutane because it is unsafe to take while doing my day job. He also suggested that I stop using the proactiv. So I did. I took the pills for about 3 months and got Neutrogena oil free acne wash. By July, my skin was a little better, but that may be due to winter, when my face usually gets less acne. In the last three weeks...probably because it is getting hotter in New Zealand..my face has got way worse. I only have acne where I shave...ie my lower cheeks, chin, and jaw line. Anyway…enough about my life story

So, in the last week I have been doing some research into what might be best for me. I found this sight and thought I should give the regimen a go, since I have used BP in my proactiv system and that may have helped. I’ve been reading lots of things including in the message boards to find which products would suit my naturally oily skin, and have come up with the following:

Morning:

Wash – Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

Medicate – Left over Proactiv 2.5% BP…I have ordered Dan’s, and will switch to that when it arrives.

Moisturiser – Neutrogena Moisture oil free, combination skin

Night the same, but after three weeks I will moisturise with Neutrogena healthy skin face lotion, with SPF, and Alpha Hydroxy.

Would this work for someone with oily skin? Should I use Jojoba oil to reduce the sebum? Should I use the Cetaphil face cleanser for normal to oily skin instead of the regular cetaphil cleanser?

Well, fingers crossed this will work. I'm tired of acne ruining my life!

Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks for your help :lol:

Would this work for someone with oily skin? Should I use Jojoba oil to reduce the sebum? Should I use the Cetaphil face cleanser for normal to oily skin instead of the regular cetaphil cleanser?

Yes it will work for someone with oily skin. Depends on wether you are dry or not(you are not, stated in your first question) It would make sense if your face is oily to use the oily, but I liked the regular cleanser b/c its very gentle

Hi and welcome!

You have chosen your products well I think.

The only added bit of advice I can give is that if your skin is very oily, the Cetaphil gentle cleanser may not clean very well. You can try it out and see if it will work for you though, because alot of people do love it.

I have very oily skin and I love Purpose liquid cleanser. But like Brandy said, many people use the Cetaphil and they like it. Good luck on the CSR! Be prepared for your skin to take a nosedive the first few weeks (redness, itchiness, and your breakouts may even get worse than they are now) but stick with it. I did not see any real improvement until week 9 and then it was all of a sudden no more zits, period.

Thanks for the replies guys :lol:

I have been on the CRS for two days now and already noticing small improvement such as my inflammation going down a little. My face isn't getting too red from the BP as I thought it would.

Dan says to wash for like 10 seconds...is this enough? I usually go for about 30-40 seconds.

I've been reading a lot on this forum including the threads about diet. Has anyone tried to change their diet for the better and noticed any improvements. I had my dad on the phone yelling at me today after telling him about my acne situation, the first thing he asked was about my unhealthy diet. I try to eat vegis and fruit, but I find it really hard. I love meat and sweet things. haha

Also, I was reading the 'dip' method. Would this work well with the CSR?

I've made another appointment with Dr dermatologist, but the earliest they could get me in was a month away...sucks

If you're going to try the CSR, you should try it precisely. That way, you'll know whether it is working for you. That means no to the dip regimen (or anything else that isn't in the CSR).

Good luck!

Cam >B)

Thanks for the replies guys :lol:

I have been on the CRS for two days now and already noticing small improvement such as my inflammation going down a little. My face isn't getting too red from the BP as I thought it would.

Dan says to wash for like 10 seconds...is this enough? I usually go for about 30-40 seconds.

I've been reading a lot on this forum including the threads about diet. Has anyone tried to change their diet for the better and noticed any improvements. I had my dad on the phone yelling at me today after telling him about my acne situation, the first thing he asked was about my unhealthy diet. I try to eat vegis and fruit, but I find it really hard. I love meat and sweet things. haha

Also, I was reading the 'dip' method. Would this work well with the CSR?

I've made another appointment with Dr dermatologist, but the earliest they could get me in was a month away...sucks

Thanks for the help

Another question, on the 'what to expect', it says that my skin will get better during the first week or so then start to breakout like mad? Is this always the case? I've been doing the regimen for 3 days now, and would say I seem to have about a 25% improvement. But, now I am so scared that I will break out again...I am in the middle of university exams, and now is NOT a good time :doubt:

So, here's my fixed regimen:

Wash – Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

Medicate – Left over Proactiv 2.5% BP…I have ordered Dan’s, and will switch to that when it arrives.

Moisturiser – Neutrogena Moisture oil free, combination skin + 3 drops of jojoba oil.

I think the jojoba oil is working great on my oily skin. I usually have to much oil on my face, that I should host nude women oil wrestling on it! haha...we'll maybe not :cool:

Cheers for the support

rgds

dd :lol: