Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sam HIll

just a thought..

Hi,

Just joined the group. I no longer have acne as I am now in my 30's. I took acutane when I was a teenager and it worked. I was clear about 6 months to a year after I began the program.

But lately I've had spots of red patches on my face right about where I used to have acne appear. I think it's eczema. Whatever it is, I have found that simply taking fish oil, about a 1200 mg capsule a day, works to keep it away.

That got me to thinking.. what if a little fish oil would have worked for me when I was younger? My family had no clue about natural therapies back then, but if it worked, I could've had a much easier time in high school.

Has anyone tried this? Would anybody be willing to try it? Fish oil is cheap and can be found at any health food store, even Wal Mart. I typically pay about $4 a bottle for mine.

Even if the fish oil doesn't help, let me share with all of you an experience I had back in high school. I found that applying Lanacane (over my entire face) WITH oxy 10 (on the affected areas) kept me clear the entire time I was applying it. This also worked for other ointments of that nature. The only draw back was that the Lanacane combined with the oxy 10 reacted to form a brown substance that I always had to wipe away later.

Anyway, if anybody is willing to try the fish oil, I would love to hear how it worked out for you. Feel free to write me at [email protected] and let me know how it goes.

Anthony

My brother works at GNC and brought some fish oil home one day. He told me to take it because it helps with acne. Now he's big into lifting weights and joins men's health forums and stuff so I'm guessing he got information from there that fish oil helps. I had tried it for a week or so while maintaining my regimen of Tazorac at night, but I didn't really notice a difference so I had stopped with the fish oils.

1 week probably was the reason why I didnt notice and my face was so irritated from using Tazorac and no moisturizer at night. But yes, I have heard that fish oils do help with acne. To what extent? I'm not sure.

Thanks for the reply!

Wow! I was operating totally on a hunch that fish oil would help and it appears that someone esle thought so too! Cool! :)

Do you have any of the fish oil left? Did you take it all? How much were you taking? Of course, it could just be that different skin types react differently. Or maybe you can try to take more of it. I don't think it can hurt at all. Maybe two capsules rather than one or maybe more than once during the day.

When you say that you didn't notice any difference.. is that because new blemishes continued to form while taking it or that the old blemishes didn't go away?

BTW.. how bad is your acne? Mine was pretty bad.. I had it all over my face. Mainly on my chin, upper lip, forehead, some on my cheecks, my neck, back and chest. I'm thinking if your acne isn't as bad, it may be hard to tell if it's helping at all.

Thanks for the reply!!

i've taken fish oil since i was a freshman in high school (not for acne, i didn't have it back then.) and i'm still taking it. it didn't have any effect on my acne at all. i'm currently on accutane.

My brother works at GNC and brought some fish oil home one day. He told me to take it because it helps with acne. Now he's big into lifting weights and joins men's health forums and stuff so I'm guessing he got information from there that fish oil helps. I had tried it for a week or so while maintaining my regimen of Tazorac at night, but I didn't really notice a difference so I had stopped with the fish oils.

1 week probably was the reason why I didnt notice and my face was so irritated from using Tazorac and no moisturizer at night. But yes, I have heard that fish oils do help with acne. To what extent? I'm not sure.

no moisturizer with tazorac? why?

I really didn't have a clue when I first started using retinoids. My dermotologist never really recommended it or anything, so I just did what I thought was right.

Do you have any of the fish oil left? Did you take it all? How much were you taking? Of course, it could just be that different skin types react differently. Or maybe you can try to take more of it. I don't think it can hurt at all. Maybe two capsules rather than one or maybe more than once during the day.

When you say that you didn't notice any difference.. is that because new blemishes continued to form while taking it or that the old blemishes didn't go away?

BTW.. how bad is your acne? Mine was pretty bad.. I had it all over my face. Mainly on my chin, upper lip, forehead, some on my cheecks, my neck, back and chest. I'm thinking if your acne isn't as bad, it may be hard to tell if it's helping at all.

No, I don't have any fish oil left... my brother was using it at the same time. I was only taking 1 capsule... which I believe was 1000 mg. I don't think I noticed a difference because I was always picking at my face and using tazorac without any moisturizer so my face was real irritated at the time. My acne was mild... but then when using tazorac it was probably moderate. My acne is mostly on my cheeks. I've also seen fish oils with GLA... that seems as if it'd be more effective. Right now my acne is clearing up nicely with the "hot water dip" but I suppose I can pick up some fish oil within the next week to see if maybe my acne will clear up a tad more. I do get a small zit or two now and then on my back, so maybe I can tell if it clears them up.