Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goldendryad

the worst it's ever been

Hi I'm new to the board. I had mild acne as a teen, nothing major but I do have oily combination skin. It seemed under control in my late teens and early twenties, with mild hormonal flare ups.

But now I'm 24 and for the past 4 months it has been horrible. Lots of the angry, mean cyst ones that are deep, and some smaller whiteheads. And in a funny area....along my lowr cheeks and jawline. It's weird because my upper cheeks are normal to dryish in skin type. I've never had acne like that on my cheeks.

As for possible causes, for me I think it's hormones and stress. But lately being fairly stress free and still breaking out is driving me nuts. I do not blame food. I eat very little dairy. Sugar just can't be a factor because some of the times when I've ben the most clear, I've eaten a lot of sugar. Like a dessert twice a day. I have eaten lots of red meat since childhood. The only difference I can think of now is that I'm eating more store bought meat, as opposed to the farm raised meat I ate a lot of in the past. I always eat lots of fruit and veggies. I rarely eat junk (like maybe one serving of fries a month and one serving of chips a month). I find that I can't function on no red meat or vegetarian foods. I get anemic and have no energy and am hungry all the time. I'm already hungry all the time, but not eating red meat makes it worse.

As for skin care, well I seemed to be really clear and doing well by alternating cetaphil in the morning and spectrogel in the evening. With BP gel for spot treatment. That no longer seems to be working. So I've cut out the spectrogel and am sticking to cetaphil. Oh and vinegar or tea tree oil for spot treatment. I also tie my hair up when I go to bed because my scalp is oily. And I switch pillowcases constantly.

I hate this acne. There's nothing worse then wearing angry bumps on your face. It affects your whole perception of yourself, particulalrly confidence and self esteem. I hide behind my hair or really play up my eyes now, anything to pull attention away from my pimples.

Has anyone here had experiences like mine? Has anyone found a clear solution? Myself, I'm not a fan of the more dramatic cleansers and medications. I find they irritate my skin and dry it out, then it breaks out worse. Right now I'm taking chromium, evening primrose oil and occasional cups of red clover tea.

So please, any ideas or experiences?

im 21 now and my acne was in its worse like 1 year ago, now im clear thanks to CSR, but if u don't want to use it i don't know what to suggest, maybe some birth control pills if ur a girl and if not than maybe accutane

but for sure you HAVE to fight that acne quick, otherwise it may leave many red marks and/or scars, i had acne for too long and now im left with marks.

Lots of the angry, mean cyst ones that are deep, and some smaller whiteheads. And in a funny area....along my lowr cheeks and jawline

Are you female? If so, this is typical of acne caused by female hormonal issues. Birth control pills and/or spironolactone is commonly prescribed to counter this type of acne.

I am a girl, and not on any bc and not too sure about taking it, with my migraines and family history of breast/ovarian cancer there are a lot of cons to it.

I already kind of use csr....I'm only using cetaphil to clean my face right now...vinegar for zits (ran out of my bp and the vinegar is clearing them up and making the redness go wayyy faster then bp) and I'm using neutragena combination skin moisturiser.

Any other methods to regulate hormones?

Spironolactone perhaps although it works best when used along with BCP. The people in diet/holistic say that there are dietary changes that can balance the hormones. Some people say that acupuncture has worked for them. You may want to see an endocrinologist and find out what's going on.

Incidentally, BCP is actually protective for ovarian cancer, but with migraines and a family history of breast cancer i can understand your reluctance.

Do you have any of the other symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome by chance? Irregular periods, hirsutism, weight gain, etc? You can actually have this syndrome even without the ovarian cysts, it seems to be a metabolic/hormonal condition and needs to be renamed in my opinion.

That sucks...I am totally in the same boat as you....in the last month, my cheeks have totally broken out....in symmetric areas but my right cheek is very cystic and unhappy.

i really feel your pain about hiding behind my hair. not to sound my own trumpet, i used to be complimented on my fair skin and pretty hair....now i wear my hair one way....like a long messy curtain to mask my acne and walk around with my head bowed low. I feel like I'm 23, these should be my prime years....and here I am, fighting a teenage woe....only a lot worse.

I have been prescribed Yasmin, Duac (BP antibiotic topical) and in 3 weeks, Accutane.

Keep us updated. we all understand how oppressive adult acne is.