Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VonDutch

Accutane: How Can I Convince a Derm, or find one?

Hey,

I have mild acne but I can't get rid of it, I've speant tons of cash on this topical stuff, and it won't go away. Everytime I go to a dermatologist they say Accutane is too strong, and deny me. The problem is that this mild acne is scarring, and causing problems, and they don't see it as a problem unless I come in with 1,000,000 zits.

Anybody know if there's like a search to find derms who will treat with accutane in your area, or do you have tips on how to convince one to give it to you?

I have an appointment with a new derm and I just might tell her that i've done all the topical stuff and it's killing my study habbits/confidence, etc.

That's a rare problem. Most derms are only too happy to give Accutane. Find another one.

My advice would be to go through the phone book and call offices and ask the receptionist or whoever if the doctor regularly prescribes accutane. They probably will know and will tell you. Definitely don't suffer with a derm who won't prescribe it for their own liability reasons. I had cystic acne in my late teens and early twenties and my derm wouldn't do it. Of course this was back in the late 80's early 90's so there was quite a lot more apprehension to prescribing accutane at that time. I should have found one that did. It would have been worth it. After years of putting up with mild acne and getting f-ing sick of it I went to a derm in my mid 20's and flat out told him I'm f-ing sick of this shit and he was more than happy to put me on it. The acne cleared up and went into remission for about 5 years. I'm 33 now and still have a little bit now and then, but accutane was definitely worth it. Good luck!

I also have mild acne but it's going to scar. My derm. tried everything on me and nothing works so he said I'll be starting Accutane Monday. He's Dr. Niren in Pittsburgh, PA.

thanks guys..I went today and they gave me retina and some antibiotic sad.gif I didn't have a chance to even say anything because it was my first visit with her. We'll see how this goes.