Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Dr. is putting me on Bactrim after a month on Tetracycline (did not work). I am wondering if anybody out there has tried this and what the results have been as well as side effects. It is sulfur based and since I did fine on Plexion, I should be fine with this as well. I am looking for any feedback since this is a new one for me.

I was on bactrim for 2 or 3 yrs. My derm took me off a couple of months ago b/c another one of his patients started taking it and had to be hospitalized. Which was stupid, cause I'm not allergic to it - not like i'm going to suddenly become deathly ill. But he was all upset and insistent so I said, fine. Now I'm on mino. It's okay. But I loved bactrim - it was the only thing that helped after taking every antibiotic you can think of. Don't worry about taking it - if you're going to react to it, it will happen almost immediately. And drink plenty of water - it's supposed to be hard on your liver. My doc made me periodically get blood tests. And I always got the brand name, even though it was a lot more expensive. They said the generic was the very same, but...I could tell a difference. And even if that was just in my head, I went ahead and paid more just to make sure. I think you'll like it. My derm saw it kind of as the last resort before accutane and said that everyone who takes it loves it. It's good stuff. Maybe I'll switch back...

I had severe cystic acne in my late teens and early twenties. I went through the usual conventional antibiotics and none worked. Bactrim DS worked well for me. I was on it for a couple years and had no adverse reactions to it and my acne was under control. My derm should have put me on accutane as I suffered a lot longer than neccessary, but he did do one thing right by putting me on Bactrim DS. Good Luck!

Thank you for the responses on Bactrim. I am on my 3rd day of it after trying Tetracycline which did not work at all, I have been on Minocycline that worked slightly and Plexion which stops working after a couple months on it. Nothing thus far has worked and I am so frustrated with trying everything and only ending up back at the Dr's for another cortozone injection. I will keep on the Bactrim with hope that this may work. I am 30 years old and have had this problem since 25, I am so fed up with acne. How long did it take to kick in and see results? Also what cleanser were you using while on this (and did it dry you out)? I am looking for as much info as I can get. I will keep my fingers crossed that this may work....

It's been about 12 years since I took bactrim, but from what I can remember my regimen was using Pan Oxyl Bar (10%) in morning and also used Persa-gel W 10% (it was a prescription medication at that time) and Retin-A at night. I had extremely oily skin so I can't really say what will happen in your case but my skin was fine. I would try Clean and Clear Continuous Control and maybe the blackhead clearing scrub as well I've been using them now for about 2 weeks and they work great. Honestly, Bactrim did a good job at getting the cystic acne under control, but my face really didn't clear up the way I would have liked it until I took accutane in my mid 20's. Good luck!