Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leopolda

Positive results from dermabrasion? Dr. Yarborough?

Hello all. This year, I am planning on having several excisions (on my forhead) and then to resurface that area this summer. I had CO2 laser on just my forehead 2.5 years ago with decent results. But this time, I am looking into dermbrasion because 1) It seems to be designed specifically for the purpose of deeper scars, and 2) because I could do spot treatment with dermabrasion (2 or three specific, localized scars), and I cannot do that with laser. I have read lots of horror stories about dermabrasions gone wrong (Jonnery and a few others on this board, thank you for sharing your stories). But, I think it was the "Waite" who raved about her results from Dr. Yarborough in New Orleans. I've done a lot of research on him and have found only positive information. Apparently, he pioneered the treatment, has been doing it for a long time, uses the wire instrument as opposed to the diamond wheel that most Drs. use, and uses a technique in which he treates scars as they are still healing (6-10 weeks). This looks pretty promising to me. Of course, being on the west coast, I'd much rather do it here, but am so nervous of making matters worse. As I am a teacher, I am lucky enough to have the summers off and am considering traveling to New Orleans o have this done.

Does anyone have any feedback? Any really great dermabrasion docs on the west coast? Waite or any other Yarborough patients who read this, could you please tell me a bit more about your experience with him? Anyone else who has had good results from dermabrasion, esp. spot treatments, even if from another Dr.? I'd love to know.

Thanks very much

Hi Leopolda,

I know of another poster who lives here in Seattle who was told by his dermatologist to fly to see Dr. Y if he wanted dermabrasion. He really is supposed to be that good!

Anna

Hey Leopolda,

I've pm'd you - let me know if you didn't get it or if you have more questions. smile.gif

Waite

Thanks so much Anna and Waite. This is really encouraging news. Are there any other dermabrasion patients out there (esp. Yarborough patients) who could share their experiences?

--leo

This is great news! I too have heard countless of wonderful stories about this guy. I live in Tallahassee Fl and am considering driving there. I mean why not? Esp since im so close. LEOPOLDA, can u tell me how much he charges for a consultation or is it free? I am not in the financial position to do this yet since im still in school, but am considering just going for a consultation to get his professional opinion (am very very curious to see what he has to say) I mean he has to give good consultations since he SPECIALIZES in scar treatemnt. I'm sure just a consultation would boost my sprirts for the future.

Ylem,

Waite, who had this procedure done about a month ago, said that the consultation is $125. The full facial dermabrasion is pretty steep $4500. Yikes! Yould also have to travel and stay there for several days so that he can monitor your progress and change your bandages, so that's another expense. But Waite says that you can opt to stay in an adjoining room to the hospital for $40/night. Maybe it's just that i come from San Francisco, but that seems really cheap to me. Also, you could avoid, if you wanted to, going out into the real work looking like a mummy and cab rides to/fro the hospital. There's also the hospital cafeteria for food (she says that if you have the full face, you'll need to eat soft, liquid-y food for the first few days.) If you can drive, rather than fly, it would be even cheaper. Finally, you don't have to have the full face done, and he will prorate accordingly. For me, I would hope either just to do the forhead or, even better, just to spot treat several big scars. I called his office and they said that you can also communicate with him through the mail. I am sending him off a letter today describing my scars, where they come from, what type of skin I have, what type of healer I am, etc., and then including some pictures. His nurse says that he will be able to tell me from the pics and the info I provide whether he can help me or not. He can also, at that point give me an estimate on how much I can expect it to cost. My letter has a bunch of questions too, so we'll see. The nurse said you can do a same day consultation/procedure, once he has decided with you to go ahead with it. I have figured out that, if I were to do this, I would have to pay $200 in airfare; $40 shuttle to/fro Airport; $40/night in hotel/hospital room; $125 for consultation; $$$ for food in addition to what he might charge me for the procedure. Let's see, that would be...about $550 not including the procedure itself. Waite said she didn't have the forehead done, so he only charged her $3000. I'm hoping that since I only want my forehead (or even just specific parts of the forehead) done, it would be about $1500, though it may be more.

Yes, this is a lot of money, but I think, personally, if it can give me some decent improvement, I'm ready to pay. I've already started saving--just not sure the procedure yet, but I must say, this sounds promising.

There is reason to be hopeful. You can't erase your scars, but it can be better (significantly better, from what I can tell), than it is. Perhaps you can start saving your money and look forward to a a procedure like this in the future to tide yourself over in the here and now. Or, maybe you can open a credit card that you only use for this, that way you can pay it off little by little. Good luck to you.

--leo

Just bumping this thread, because it seems that there's not that much interest in this. I'm just curious why? I guess to me this seems like a really encouraging direction. It's not new or terribly high tech, I know. I also know that there are people who have had terrible (my sympathies) results from dermabrasion, but this method seems really different and promising. Aside from Yarborough's use of the wire brush as opposed to the diamond wheel, he also believes in the benefits of treating new scars (under a year old). Not that he doesn't also seem to get results from treating older scars as well, but most Drs. want to let a scar mature, and he seems to be one of the only ones out there to be treating and getting results from newer scars. So I'm just curious as to why there's not more interest in this? Is it the cost (which is quite expensive)? Or the stigma of "dermabrasion?" Or is there somethign else I'm overlooking?

If there are other Yarborugh partients out there, I'd love to hear about your experiences. Waite so far seems thrilled with her results? Anyone else?

I have sent off my letter and as soon as I hear back from him, I will share the info I get.

--leo

Hi Leopolda,

I will speak for myself and say that I have never had a physician perform dermabrasion on me. I did it on myself with sandpaper. When I was 8 I had chicken pox and because of intense itching I put an inch long cut in my forehead which left a scar. Plus, I was left with a chicken pox scar on my temple. When I was 15 I went to the garage and grabbed some relatively fine grit sandpaper and went at the scars. Remarkably, they improved about 85%. I have done minor little touch ups throughout the years on fine lines, etc. Last May however, I really blew it when I dermabraded an area on my cheek. It barely bled but the area I treated left a larger indented area. I AM SO MAD AT MYSELF!!!!!!!!

Bottom line is this though. Dermabrasion thins your skin (at this point in time this thinning is permanent). Therefore it needs to be done evenly all over the face or blended really well. All of this is depends on the skill of the doctor and your skin's ability to heal. Like any ablative procedure you can wind up with scarring worse than you had. Plus the healing time can be pretty significant. I read once that 80% of dermabrasion patients wish they had never undergone the procedure. If you are going to have it done though, I would say that Dr. Y is your guy!!

The bottom line is that I have had really mixed results but this was with my home treatment. This is a serious procedure and deserves serious consideration.

My best!

Anna

leopolda:

I do not want to have dermabrasion done because I have heard quite a few stories of people looking worse than before their procedure. For me, it's just not worth the risk of further scarring and that's why I much prefer the idea of less ablative options. The bad stories I have read seem to greatly outweigh the positive stories I have heard.

Dear Anna and Oursfan (Oursfan, I like your new sig--Elliott Smith was, IMO, a genius--what a loss),

Thanks for sharing your stories. Anna, I wonder if the difference between your results had to do with your age (the younger you are, the better you heal sort of thing). I definitely notice that now that I'm getting older, my skin doesn't heal as well and scars more easily. I didn't realize that dermabrasion permanently thins your skin--that certainly gives me something to think about. And I too have heard that there are so many dermabrasion patients out there that wish they'd never done it. I just can't help thinking (hoping) that this Doc and this method is different and that because my scars are localized and are essentially surgical scars, that this might hold promise. I dunno. I wish there were a way to hear from more Yarborough patients (Waite so far has been really helpful)....

Anyway, I will continue to do research into this and will continue to post my findings...

-leo

I agree totally with OursFan. I've heard that the downtime for dermabrasion is as long (maybe longer?) than for laser resurfacing, and I just don't think I could deal with that. An d the risks really scare me. I prefer to stick with treatments where the worst thing that could happen is that they don't work...

-kristin

I've been interested in dermabrasion for a while. I almost had it done once, but chickened out. I guess if you are going to have it done, he's sounds like the man.

I want to hear about the response you get to your letter. I'd also like his address--does he have a website? I did a search on him and couldn't find much.

I've done research on dermabrasion compared to laser, and they say the pain is less than laser, as is associated redness, and epithelization is quicker with dermabrasion. The articles were very good--they were in medical journals. They did studies on scars, and performed half laser, half dermabrasion on each scar.

It is a scary procedure, and the fear of more scarring is scary. Frankly, I'm more afraid of laser though.

I'd really like to hear from people who have had dermabrasion--especially this "waite" person.

~Emma

Leopolda,

I am pretty sure my age had a lot to do with how I healed. Aging is kind of a mixed bag in that you are less likely to get raised scars but you are more likely to develop indented ones. I just want NO SCARS!

Good Luck!

Anna

Hey guys,

I'm studying for a test right now so I can't say too much, but in the next few days I can elaborate on my experiences with dermabrasion, laser, results, risks, etc.

smile.gif Waite

Here is his info:

John M Yarborough, Jr. MD

2820 Napoleon Ave

New Orleans, LA 70115

(504) 897-5899

Waite,

I'm very interested in your procedure as well. Complications, results, etc.

Can you still go in the sun? Do you notice that the skin is thinner? I know your studying, good luck on the test. Can't wait to hear from you.

Thanks for posting the info Anna. I meant to do that last week, but it go quite hectic. I have sent off my letter to him and will wait to hear back from his office.

Waite, good luck with your studies: we'll all be excited to hear your update!

Also, Anna, do you happen to remember who it was who saw Dr. Y? Someone on this board? SOmeone from Seattle you said? (BTW, I used to live in Seattle--loved it, a bit grey, but such a cool place--I lived in Fremont!)

Anyway, I will update people as I get info back...

--leo

Hi Leopolda,

Leo wrote:

Thanks for posting the info Anna. I meant to do that last week, but it go quite hectic. I have sent off my letter to him and will wait to hear back from his office.  

Waite, good luck with your studies: we'll all be excited to hear your update!  

Also, Anna, do you happen to remember who it was who saw Dr. Y? Someone on this board? SOmeone from Seattle you said? (BTW, I used to live in Seattle--loved it, a bit grey, but such a cool place--I lived in Fremont!)  

Anyway, I will update people as I get info back...  

--leo

Hi, everyone. I am so excited. Today, I received a message from none other than Dr. John Yarborough himself. He called me in response to the letter I sent him! I wasn't there to receive the call, but I am supposed to call him tomorrow morning. His message was so kind--and I can't belive he called--I think I expected a nurse or receptionist to get back to me. Anyway, I will update as soon as i speak to him.

--Leo

Hello, everyone. Well, I spoke to Dr. Yarborough this morning and I still cannot get over his kindness and his genuine desire to help people. Firsy of all, he gave me his home phone number and told me I could call anytime with more questions. He spent about 1/2 hour with me on the phone. He told me how much he really liked my letter (2 pp. explaining everything, including the previous bouts with Compulsive Skin Picking), and that he really thought he could help me. He said that most Drs. still recognize Dermabrasion as the most effective resurfacing technique. because lasers are easier to use and involved less skill and therefore risk, however, many don't do it anymore. He says that sometimes people need multiple treatments spaced no less than 1 year apart (he says it takes that long for you to see the final results of the collagen boost). He says that dermabrasion works well on most kinds of scars because it both resurfaces the surface of your skin, while bbosting collagen underneath the skin. He would want me to come out on a Sunday, and have the consult/procedure done on that Monday and return for the next several days to have the bandages changed and so that they could monitor the progress. I think I mentioned this before (Waite told me this), but you can stay in a nice hotel room connected to the hospital for $40/night, so that you don't have to go outside looking like Freddy Kreuger or the Mummy. Anyway, the only rub is that he thinks you should do a full face dermabrasion the first time and then do follow up spot checks if need be. I'm going to press him a bit on this as the rest of my skin is fine. Anyway, as I said, he was the sweetest man, and I am so excited about this!!!

--Leo

Leo:

Thanks for sharing...did Dr. Y say anything about side effects or risks of dermabrasion? Does he do a test patch...then do the whole face? Last thing are you thinking about doing it?

Since he is the 'king' of this procedure, it would be great to see some of his before/after photo's.

Thanks for your time, let us know.

Hi all,

Anybody with tan skin had dermabrasion?

I'm thinking of getting the treatment done.

My only concern is the skin color/Pigment.

I had two CO2 laser resurfacing treatments.

It took about 13 months to get back the normal skin tone.

Let me know. I would appreciate alot.