Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JT

Oily face types - what do you do?

My skin constantly feels slick throughout the day and even when I wash it, the slickness comes back within a few hours. It's tempting to wash my face more than twice a day, but from personal experience I know it just creates even more oil and extra flakiness.

So far I've managed to keep most of my acne at bay, but the greasy face is always still a problem. I use eucerin's moisterizer to clear the flakes which is nice, but it just makes my face shinier. Anyone had success with keeping their skin oil free?

I've been seeing posts about Jojoba oil and alpha hydroxy, but it seems like every type of moisterizer I've run across makes the oily face worse.

so does Evening Primrose Oil, worked really well to stop the oilyness but beware, it does decrease your appetite. im already skinny and i don't need to lose any more weight lol so i stopped taking it. i actually posted about it in the Diet/Holistic forum.

i always wash my face 3 times a day. once in the morning (7:00), once when i get home from work (5:00), and before i go to sleep (11:00) this keeps my face from getting extremely oily. i also take natures cure which helped a lot. my face doesnt get as oily when im on it.

Well, I've been doing something recently that has really helped with oil. Now, my face isn't really too oily to begin with, but you should at least give this a try.

Mix 75% jojoba oil with 25% castor oil. Castor oil is a drawing agent and helps remove clogged pours and dirt and jojoba also helps to deep clean the pours and moisturize without having a greasy look to the face. Wash your face as you usually would (with a VERY gentle cleanser) and rinse. Then apply the oil mixture with a moderate amount of oil. Gently rub the mixture on your face in circular motions in the shower for about 5 minutes. Then allow the shower water to rinse your face for about 30 or so seconds. The heat from the water opens the pours further and allows the castor oil to work to its full potential. Take a clean rag or cloth and gently remove all of the oil from your face.

This works on the principal that like dissolves like, and when applied to your face, the oils dissolve all the oil on your face. Since jojoba oil mimics our natural oil (sebum), your body won't compensate by producing excess oil afterwards.

The result it a clean, moistened (but not greasy), oil-free face. Give it a try.

(Note: jojoba oil does cause a small IB for some people, but it is well worth it in the long run - best thing I've ever used for my face. Also, make sure you remove all of the oil in the shower, as it could contain dirt and bacteria removed from your pours which could lead to future breakouts if not thoroughly removed)

i tried the whole oil cleansing thing and it made me a million times more oily. i use apple cider vinegar toner and that helps. other than that i haven't found much that really takes care of it. i hate it as well, but i can't seem to shake it.

Yeah, I'm always a little skeptic trying to treat oil with oil. Jojoba sounds like its been getting more and more popular for the past few months though. Maybe I'll give that a shot when I see a health store.