Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MelbaToast

Question about muscle growth and lifting weights!

Accutane slows down healing in the body right? Well wouldn't that mean your muscles won't get bigger as fast or at all? When you lift your actually tearing down your muscles I hear.

Also, anyone on accutane who works out> what do you take to get your source of protein? I was using a protein shake but it contains a small amount of vit A (33%)

JMtuf1 I remember you said you work out and you have back pain. I go to the gym and start doing bench press' and im outta steam and feel like going to sleep on the damn gym floor. haha

i need to hear more about this energy draining issue. Is this happening to everyone? I think my prob is my sleeping pattern is off. If i can get up in the morning instead of 2pm i would have energy for the gym.

JMtuf1 I remember you said you work out and you have back pain. I go to the gym and start doing bench press' and im outta steam and feel like going to sleep on the damn gym floor. haha

yea i got that too lol. i stopped working out while on tane, when i finished tane, i waited 3 weeks to start working out. when i started, benching was hard for me, i had to bench 20 pounds less than i did before tane, and this was still hard even though it was pretty easy before tane. When i 1st started working out my back was noticeably achy, it got to the point where when i would lie down on the bench, my back would give me a really sharp pain. i usually had to lie down and wait about 1-2 minutes for the pain to go away and then start benching. Then after each set instead of gettin up for half a minute before my 2nd set, i'd just stay lying down so i wouldn't have to deal with that pain again.

After my 1st workout 3 weeks after finishing tane, i got extremely sore. i know its normal to get sore after you work out for the 1st time in a while, but this was beyong sore. both my arms got to the point where i couldn't move them. i had to keep my arms folded up at my stomach (as if they were in a cast from being broken) for 4 days. it hurt too much just to get a drink of water, and i was even watching tv one night and it hurt like hell just moving my arm to change the volume lol.

I worked out for about 2 weeks and then my back pain went away and i thought the side effect normally went away. i could lie down on the ebcnh and be more flexible and the sharp pain i was getting at 1st from lying down was gone, so i was happy that i was done with tane and all side effects were gone. then 3-4 weeks after that when i was sure my back pain was gone, i was throwing a baseball around (1st time since finishing tane). and from throwing the baseball, i re-injured my back, and my arm was clearly weaker, i wasn't even able to throw like i used too. I know my back was from accutane, because i never ever had my back get sore from throwing. Since that day i have quit working out, and my back still gets achy. a few weeks after that i had to sit down and was in pain for 2 days just fom throwing a football around.

I dont know how much tane affects muscle growth, but my take is that more rest is needed during tane.

:ninja: GOOD GOD MAN! You should go see a doctor about your back. Maybe there are stretching exercises or something you could do. Thanks for taking the time and writing all that. I play baseball too but haven't in a while. Im not like a huge workout freak but I do like staying in shape. Im guessing this tiredness effects stamina during sex too :(

That would NOT be cool. This is the hardest decision i've had to make. I had taken 17 Accutane pills then quit for 2 weeks cause i freaked out due to long-term side effects. Now im considering starting back up but I just dont know what to do.

It would be different if I had cystic on my face but I just have mild cystic on my chest mildish/mod cystic on my back. *sigh* haha ive stayed up every night since I quit, trying to decide on what to do! Im killing myself over this.

I just want to have nicer skin on my back and chest but at what cost?

Okay if any of you have any input that will help me please dont hesitate! IM GOING NUTS

funny thing is my derm said she was MOST worried about putting me on tane cause of my depression. what about my liver? my tear ducts? joints? teeth yellowing? tiredness? :wall::wall::wall::wall:

:ninja: GOOD GOD MAN! You should go see a doctor about your back. Maybe there are stretching exercises or something you could do. Thanks for taking the time and writing all that. I play baseball too but haven't in a while. Im not like a huge workout freak but I do like staying in shape. Im guessing this tiredness effects stamina during sex too :(

That would NOT be cool. This is the hardest decision i've had to make. I had taken 17 Accutane pills then quit for 2 weeks cause i freaked out due to long-term side effects. Now im considering starting back up but I just dont know what to do.

It would be different if I had cystic on my face but I just have mild cystic on my chest mildish/mod cystic on my back. *sigh* haha ive stayed up every night since I quit, trying to decide on what to do! Im killing myself over this.

I just want to have nicer skin on my back and chest but at what cost?

Okay if any of you have any input that will help me please dont hesitate! IM GOING NUTS

funny thing is my derm said she was MOST worried about putting me on tane cause of my depression. what about my liver? my tear ducts? joints? teeth yellowing? tiredness? :wall::wall::wall::wall:

well i dont mean to scare anyone when i bitch about my back, because long term side effects like that usually dont happen so dont worry abput that.

your liver wont get damaged.. just think of accutane like being an alcoholic for 6 months... when people r alcoholics for 5 yrs, they r still fine after quitting and they dont have liver problems.

and the thing with depression is questionable. personally i dont think its a problem, for me it wasn't.. i mean i was severly depressed around the time right before i started accutane. im not just talking upset over skin, i was depressed about everything, and if i had clear skin i still would of been depressed. i didn't tell anybody though, so only i knew. i was kinda concerned about accutane because i personally knew i had bad depression, but i took it anyway. and i was fine. i mean i was depressed, but i dint kill myself or gocrazy, not even close. and the best part, was i still managed to keep my cool and dint even really show that i was upset.

i thought about quitting accutane alil over 3 months in but im glad i stuck it out.

i shouldn't complain about my back as much as i do anyway. im not crippled, and even though my back aches, i can tollerate it. i get depressed over my back and physical shape for that matter because i used to work out so much and so hard that i feel bad knowing what type of shape im in now. just my back gets achy and tired fast, i can't be on my feet for to long because then its like i have to sit. i dont play sports anymore so i guess my back isn't gonna take anything away for me now.. but i registered for the FDNY test and when the physical comes i know my back is going to be an obstacle in the way. but its not like my back hurts 24/7 in bad bad pain like i sometimes make it sound.

I guess for me its a problem cause i expect too much out of myself physically that any thing like that can bother me.

basically its your call what you wanna do. just think about if your willing to take any side effects and take on the committment, if you want clear skin that bad.

my skin is good right now. i should be enjoying that, but for some reason im not.

I forgot to mention I've always had very weak posture and a bad lower back. I always have to shift my weight so my lower back wont start throbbing. But oh well. Some people in life (me) tend to look for all the negatives. im going to try and be as positive as I can.

Basically my issue is I cant figure out if my bacne is as bad as my derm says. My Psoriasis is in remission right now. last time she tried to push a VERY expensive injection med called Enbrel on me. I think its upwards of $15,000 year! But now that its in remission she didnt even say shit about my Psoriasis. Now its "your a definite canidate for accutane. your facing a potential for many scars" I already have scars alll over my body.

hah woops i went on a tangent there. enough of me ranting. I have an appointment Tuesday witht he Derm and its either stay ON or NEVER again. Ill let you all know what the outcome is.

(on a side note. I went tanning today cause i look like a ghost and all i did was turn pink, not burnt at all, just didnt tan!)

k im out

Accutane slows healing. This means that it increases recovery time after lifting because the muscles can't repair themselves as quickly. It is very easy to overtrain if you stick with your old routine, so be careful, listen to your body, and don't push yourself too hard. You really don't want to get injured on Accutane.