Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucy_87

tane for mild acne

is there a greater chance of longer remission if you started with mild/moderate acne and went through a course of tane as oppossed to severe acne? seems to be on here that people who started with milder acne have a rough ride for some reason?

I don't beleive there are any good figures for remission rates of mild acne since isotretinoin is only approved for severe recalcitrant nodulocystic acne and that's the type the people in the clinical trials had.

Anecdotally, it seems to me like it's just the opposite. People with mild acne seem to have recurrance relatively quickly, but that could just be an illusion due to the idiosyncrocies of message boards.

is there a greater chance of longer remission if you started with mild/moderate acne and went through a course of tane as oppossed to severe acne? seems to be on here that people who started with milder acne have a rough ride for some reason?

My derm told me that his patients with the most severe acne, are the ones most likely to need a second course.

My derm told me that his patients with the most severe acne, are the ones most likely to need a second course.

oh right cool thanks mickey. hope your course is going well for you!!

My derm told me it doesn't matter what type of acne you have, your chances of relapse are the same.. 50/50.

My derm told me it doesn't matter what type of acne you have, your chances of relapse are the same.. 50/50.

Well, I don't think the studies bear that out. It might be a workable "rough" figure for him to use and NBD. Maybe all told, considering severity, age, cumulative dosage, it is about 50-50 in his practice.

But what I've read in legitimate medical information is that recurrance is related to those individual factors - severity of initital condition, age when you take it and total cumulative dosage.

What has caught my eye since it relates directly to me is that recurrance seems to be greater the older you are when you take it.

The explanation for that that makes sense is that if you're older you probably have a more chronic type of acne as opposed to the more short lived adolescent type. Let's say for the purpose of discussion that two patients have similar conditions and take a similar cumultative dosage. One patient is an adolescent and one a 30 or 40-something. If both get a few years of remission from the accutane, the adolescent is more likely to grow out of the condition durning that time than the older adult. The adolescent has a maturity/hormone contidion at the root, the older adult has other more chronic factors causing it. The adolescent might therefore enjoy a permanent cure or a milder condition upon relapse.

In addition to this, I'm also finding out (from personal experience and reading a lot about it) that older folks (30+) also develop rosacea in those years and that can mimic acne around the cheeks near the nose, center forehead and chin. This is exactly where a lot of people get acne as well, and rosacea lesions can be cystic, papular and pustular just like acne. Acne vulgaris seems to have associated comedomes, while acne rosacea doesn't. But a relapse in an older person might be a combination of nagging acne vulgaris and rosacea. I think I have a little of both. Many/most of the treatments are the same though.

Aside from that, I don't know what the studies show about severity vs. relapse. That didnt interest me that much since I'm not severe but I am OLD.

Finally, from what I've read, the total cumulative dosage is a widely accepted factor in the success rate, with cumulative dosages below the 120-125 mg/kg threshold being less successful than those above.

Well, I don't think the studies bear that out. It might be a workable "rough" figure for him to use and NBD. Maybe all told, considering severity, age, cumulative dosage, it is about 50-50 in his practice.

But what I've read in legitimate medical information is that recurrance is related to those individual factors - severity of initital condition, age when you take it and total cumulative dosage.

What has caught my eye since it relates directly to me is that recurrance seems to be greater the older you are when you take it.

The explanation for that that makes sense is that if you're older you probably have a more chronic type of acne as opposed to the more short lived adolescent type. Let's say for the purpose of discussion that two patients have similar conditions and take a similar cumultative dosage. One patient is an adolescent and one a 30 or 40-something. If both get a few years of remission from the accutane, the adolescent is more likely to grow out of the condition durning that time than the older adult. The adolescent has a maturity/hormone contidion at the root, the older adult has other more chronic factors causing it. The adolescent might therefore enjoy a permanent cure or a milder condition upon relapse.

In addition to this, I'm also finding out (from personal experience and reading a lot about it) that older folks (30+) also develop rosacea in those years and that can mimic acne around the cheeks near the nose, center forehead and chin. This is exactly where a lot of people get acne as well, and rosacea lesions can be cystic, papular and pustular just like acne. Acne vulgaris seems to have associated comedomes, while acne rosacea doesn't. But a relapse in an older person might be a combination of nagging acne vulgaris and rosacea. I think I have a little of both. Many/most of the treatments are the same though.

Aside from that, I don't know what the studies show about severity vs. relapse. That didnt interest me that much since I'm not severe but I am OLD.

Finally, from what I've read, the total cumulative dosage is a widely accepted factor in the success rate, with cumulative dosages below the 120-125 mg/kg threshold being less successful than those above.

Yeah, I kind agree with you on the younger/older thing. But I mean I'm 18 and I took the right cumulative dose and I have mild-moderate acne and I relapsed after 3 months. What's the excuse for that? Bad luck, I guess. My acne is't as bad, but i still am not happy.