Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fiction

An interesting observation

So I've noticed that almost everyone on the entire acne.org website is from one of the big three countries that also happen to be well connected through economics and globalization. the UK, Australia and the US. I know I've seen other European countries represented and perhaps the larger Asian countries, but doesnt that seem wierd to you guys? The bulk of people with acne are from the richer countries of the world. Sounds to me like it is a diet thing. I've also noticed their are more people on the boards as well. Interesting thing to consider.

Here's my explanation to your observation:

1. Just because a person doesn't go on acne.org doesn't mean he or she has clear skin.

2. Those living in wealthier countries are more likely to have internet access, which is required for acne.org members.

3. People from wealthier countries are more likely to find treating acne important compared to people in

poorer countries, mainly for economic reasons. Those living in wealthier countries who are considered

poor to their fellow citizens may feel more pressure to treat their acne because spending time and money

on appearance is more of a priority in parts of the world where many of the inhabitants can afford to.

4. Those unable to speak English or speak English moderately well will have

difficulty using acne.org. Less people will speak English in countries that are considered economically

unstable as opposed to those that aren't.

As a sidenote, I've seen documentaries where the inhabitants of such economically unstable countries have acne. If a particular group of people tend to have acne-free skin, I look to genetics.

Just to add fire to this board. I was in Cambodia a few months ago. I found it very funny how people aged 15-30 years of age didn't have a single spot on there faces & had flawless skins. They washed there faces in the sewage ridden river water, used old scraggy towels to dry themselves down. Put a smile on my face.

Where F*^kin' ourselves in the ass.

Just to add fire to this board. I was in Cambodia a few months ago. I found it very funny how people aged 15-30 years of age didn't have a single spot on there faces & had flawless skins. They washed there faces in the sewage ridden river water, used old scraggy towels to dry themselves down. Put a smile on my face.

that's very interesting. i wonder why that is??? maybe it is diet, i dunno. i wish i knew.

that's very interesting. i wonder why that is??? maybe it is diet, i dunno. i wish i knew.

Many people think it is the diet. I just an article claiming that 90% of all teenage-related acne cases are due to the eating habbits. But who knows? Dr. Cordain seems to think he has the answer with his "paleo-diet", so maybe there is something to this theory. Personally, I'm pretty sure it's diet related - we simply eat so much crap and we have no idea about it.

I don't think the wealth of one's country has much to do with acne. I've seen people from the US, Canada, Australia, England, Russia, Belgium, Mexico, and many more.

You have to take into consideration only the wealthier countries have abundant internet access, many countries are still considered 3rd world countries. Many countries do not speak speak or read English.

Based on my own experience I would have to bet on diet being the explanation. I'd even say its the amount of food eaten together with the low nutrient value of it and the high amount of sugar.

Based on my own experience I would have to bet on diet being the explanation. I'd even say its the amount of food eaten together with the low nutrient value of it and the high amount of sugar.

So you think that diet is 100% responsible for acne?

Just found an article that has a similiar agenda as this post from http://acneresearch.org/blog/?p=7

Acne As A Predominently Western Disease

As many acne sufferers know, one of the first steps to understanding the acne conundrum is realizing that people who live in 3rd world countries, such as regions of Africa and Asia, rarely suffer from acne. Acne is primarily a western disease and was prompted by a western lifestyle, which includes minimal exercise and encourages a diet filled with fat and sugar. Hence, in America we have such a high incidence of heart disease and obesity. Additionally, many Americans consume 3,000 calories a day, when multiple studies have shown that eating only 1,500 calroies a day can lead to an increased lifespan of 5 to 10 years. It is also true, that the acne epidemic in westernized countries is not just due to diet and lifestyle; obviously, genetics are also involved. However, it is also noteworthy, that some people who move from 3rd world countries develop acne in America later on, which would imply diet as the culprit.

Many factors are involved in acne; hormone imbalances, keratinization and sebum synthesis. I have chosen to focus on the dietary aspect, because it is so often ignored. Numerous web sites, books and articles are notorious for claiming that there is absolutely no connection between acne and diet. America simply refuses to acknowledge that acne is a disease that reflects the health of the whole human being.

“Acne can be eliminated by understanding the root cause of bad skin conditions. Acne is closely related to diet, which is proven by the fact that this skin disorder is predominantly a Western problem and people in those countries which do not follow a Western diet are not troubled by acne on a serious level.

For human health, three processes are necessary: Appropriation (taking in food, water, air etc.), assimilation (absorbing nutrients) and elimination (expelling waste or toxins). If any of these three processes become unbalanced, that leads to less than perfect health. If the digestive system ( which does the work of assimilation) gets sluggish due to various reasons, then waste products may be expelled through the skin as blocked pores and acne.

There are many factors which affect the digestive system, both internal and external, such as stress, which might cause indigestion, nausea, vomiting, gas and diarrhea. Stress can cause damage to digestion which results in bad skin conditions. That is why people suffering from acne are advised to avoid stress in their daily life.

Weak digestive systems fail to create enough hydrochloric acid which in turn affects liver function. The liver is responsible for processing toxins and once liver functions are affected, toxins start accumulating in the body tissue and organs.

Liver malfunction also gives rise to another problem. It creates glandular problem which results in hormonal imbalance. hormones play an important role in the development of acne, and this surely ends worsening the acne condition.â€

Acne is not caused by diet. But "excessive" acne it is a western society problem. Why?

I think there are serveral reasons:

1. Our immune systems are bad, basicly because of our good medicine. Alot of the people in western societies were supposed to die as child in 3thrd world countries. Antibiotics are another reason I think.

2. We are dispossed to alot of stuff we arent suppossed to get in contact with. Air pollution alot of stuff in our food (hormones for example), but you cant really change that and alot of people do not get acne, so it is not the main point I guess.

3. Stress! Yes we life a relative save life, but stress is enormous in a western society. Small, sometimes complete asocial families, school (pressure to perform well from childhood on), advertising of a perfect world... There is a reason why so many people get drepressions believe me! The stress level for you average youth might be higher than during 2nd world war + there is no real perspektive... Unemployment, destroyed enviroment, peak oil... We quite know this will lead to a collaps in maybe 50 years perhaps alot earlier.

People in 3rd world countries have their problems and maybe die from them, but they also have huge families/tribes to help them. They do not have this pressure through media to be perfect and all. They do not worry that much about their future. They arent used to all this wealth and do not need it to be happy.