Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaleidoscope

Accutane without BCP?

Just wondering... is it ever possible for a girl to go on Accutane without going on birth control pills, if she's not sexually active?

Hey Leah

I think it depends on ur derm...my derm is insisting that i use it...she thinks i am at the moment but im not :P

I've got 5 boxes of Diane 35 sitting at home so i mightt take them just bcoz i purchased them...I'm just waiting 2 c what shez going to say at my next appointment...i feel bad bcoz i told her that i will take them...even though she knows im not sexually active...

Just wondering... is it ever possible for a girl to go on Accutane without going on birth control pills, if she's not sexually active?

I thought abstainance was a form of birth control acceptable on iPledge (of course, I always get at least one question wrong each month).

JMO, but I don't think it's fair to put a woman on BC if she's not having sex.

I was actually considering getting the cheapest pill my insurance would pay for ($10 for some generic) and not take it. I'm sorry, but at 40, I KNOW how not to get pg! Plus I know about emergency contraception.

Platinum

yeah i was wondering that too. ive tried a couple of bCP and have laways just ended up a total emotional wreck! damn hormones. so im hoping i might be able to get on tane with BCP. im in the UK and we dont have ipledge here so dont know if that will make a difference

Abstinence is an option, but some derms will not prescribe if you don't agree to BC. As i understand it, people who choose abstinence as their form of BC while on Accutane make up a large portion of the exposed pregnancies. In the heat of the moment, abstinence decisions sometimes evaporate, and derms are trying to shield themselves from liability by insisting on the BC.

Hehe, my derm from my first course made MEN get pregnancy tests because there was a case where a biologically female tranny was so convincing that the derm didn't realize she wasn't biologically a male and she got pregnant. True story!

Hehe, my derm from my first course made MEN get pregnancy tests because there was a case where a biologically female tranny was so convincing that the derm didn't realize she wasn't biologically a male and she got pregnant. True story!

:lol: That's insane.

You have to have two forms of BC. Abstinance is only one. And you can't stay condoms or anything as #2 because then you're not practicing abstinance. Lol so the pill is your only other option.

My derm said back in the day before iPLEDGE, about 10 years ago...he made a nun go on BCP.

Well with iPLEDGE you can choose abstinence as primary and condoms as backup even though that really makes no sense.

I don't know. lol They just gave me BCP right away.

My derm said to pick abstinance as the first birth control, and condoms as the second. You do not have to be on birth control pills.

I'm lucky...I'm done having kids and have my tubes tied...I don't have to jump through the hoops of Ipledge :dance:

JMO, but I don't think it's fair to put a woman on BC if she's not having sex.

I know, I agree. There's no way I'll take it... It would be completely unnecessary and it's not like BCPs are without risks/side-effects.

I do understand their hesistance to just take your word for it though.

My derm said to pick abstinance as the first birth control, and condoms as the second. You do not have to be on birth control pills.

Good to know!