Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thEneXtChaPter

i was just thinking, im not even a derm,

ok what derms do with accutane is nothing special. i mean look at is, they perscribe you a medicine, i heard most derms (although mine didn't) make u sign a waiver to cover their asses legally. then all they do is pick a dose for you and monitor your blood work..... which thats extremely easy, no derms learn about blood work and that kind of stuff, its basic thing that your taught in medical school as a derm, your taught to just look after triglicerides.. simple you just look and see whats elevated and how high its getting.

and they say your dose is based on your body weight? thats not always the case. my derm gave me a dose of 40 1 month then raised to 60.. not every derm would of done that with me. i mean it worked, but other derms might have perscribed me 40 and 80, or 60 and 80. so basically the derm decides how hard they wanna fight it.

and 3rd off, no one really knows anything about this drug except the people that actually made the damn thing, im talking about the scientists! when it says ask your derm if this or that is normal while on accutane, bullshit! all your derm knows about accutane is whats in the brochure for it, and what you find on the internet, they dont know anything more about it! derms will only tell you shit based on stats they read. and if u call an accutane lab, you'll get an idiot on the phone who will read you the same brochure you got from your derm!

basically no one knows anything about the drug. infact, you yourself know more about accutane than your derm, because you took it and you can relate to things!

the only thing a derm has over me is the derm has perscribed it to a bunch of different people and has experience supervising people on the drug.

but honestly, what does a derm do, that me or anyone else on these forms couldn't do?

I could read your blood work and make sure your not gonna die, i can write your perscriptions for it, and not only that write it neater! and i can come up with a dose thats not to high or low for you based on your weight, and a dose that will work.. and i can answer yur questions on the drug because nobody knows anything more than accutane than the stuff u can read off the internet or bochures about it.

all im saying is, derms dont have anymore knowledge on accutane than the patient. so just follow the basic rules. and that is, take the medicine and thats it. your acne treatment is a pill and thats it, no creams for it. you can use moisterizor, but thats your choice, wont affect your treatment.

We prob. do about the same knowledge as they do in regard to Tane but along with those 8+ years of training comes the ability to legally diagnose and prescribe meds.

With the internet, almost any person can have more knowledge about any disease than their doctor. Most people (especially older people) don't research as much as we do. I think it's great that we have access to all of this. Plus, I figure that my derm has been prescribing Accutane longer than I have been alive. He's directly seen results from an unbiased view.

Most derms do lots of other things. They are dealing with skin cancer and who knows what else. I found that the derms I saw didn't know much. I educated them in many ways. My family doctor was clueless about acne. He didn't even know that BP helped kill bacteria. He thought it was just used to dry out your skin.

Many derms haven't had enough cases and experience to know what we know from hanging out on acne.org. When I had heel pain during Accutane, she had never heard of such a thing. It made me wonder if I was imagining it or if it was caused by someone else. On acne.org, I found 3 or 4 others who had the exact same thing.

You have to take charge of your own health care so you can make informed decisions.

P&W

Lol yeah I thought about that before. I thought about being a derm. for a while, because it seems so easy. I know a lot about skin conditions since I"ve spent hours looking up information on Acne and what works and what doesn't and for what type of acne, ect. And I ever learned about other skin conditions along the way. Only.. I don't have the grades so I'd have to pay for college myself..which is impossible. LOL

You have to take charge of your own health care so you can make informed decisions.

Yepyep!

But still..when you're going to a dermatologist or doctor or whoever... it's always nice to have them know more and be correct about it. I don't want to be paying some guy who knows less than I do to prescribe something that's going to affect my body and not his. So yea it's good to take control of your own health but it's still comforting (more than comforting) when your doctors are informed intelligient people. But, that isn't always the case.

We prob. do about the same knowledge as they do in regard to Tane but along with those 8+ years of training comes the ability to legally diagnose and prescribe meds.

theres nothing to diagnose with acne. if treatments aren't working, then its accutane. you dont need to "diagnose" acne. in fact you could even give accutane to anyone who has any type of acne! the whole point of not doing so is to use other methods this way the person doesn't have to go through the health risks of accutane when there are other treatments. but when those treatments dont work, its suggest accutane and the patients decision.

Lol yeah I thought about that before. I thought about being a derm. for a while, because it seems so easy. I know a lot about skin conditions since I"ve spent hours looking up information on Acne and what works and what doesn't and for what type of acne, ect. And I ever learned about other skin conditions along the way. Only.. I don't have the grades so I'd have to pay for college myself..which is impossible. LOL

same i was thinking i'd like 2 do that, but i dont have the money to pay for med school.

You can write me all the perscriptions you want, but I'll stick with my doctors for the prescriptions.

With the internet, almost any person can have more knowledge about any disease than their doctor. Most people (especially older people) don't research as much as we do. I think it's great that we have access to all of this. Plus, I figure that my derm has been prescribing Accutane longer than I have been alive. He's directly seen results from an unbiased view.

JMT, I feel the same way as you. I think what the derm has over us is their experience with 1000s of patients. And they see more positive results than we do on these boards.

Funny, my derm never asked my weight. Just 40mg for 4-6 months.

Oh well. Whadaya gonna do?

Platinum

theres nothing to diagnose with acne. if treatments aren't working, then its accutane. you dont need to "diagnose" acne.

Well, of course one can look at an acne sufferer and know its acne but I said we dont have the "legal" ability as MD's do to diagnose.