Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magictrick

Breakout on Arms

I've had mild back acne for a while and recently it seems to be fading away, but all of a sudden I got a breakout on my right arm, between the mid to elbow section. I was wondering is Dan's bacne regimen still applicable for arms as well? Its also weird because its only on my right arm.

Also I was wondering where could I pick up an alpha hydroxy solution? Is it over the counter or do I have to get a prescription for it? (I live in Canada)

Thanks

www.drugstore.com has a product called Alpha Hydrox enhanced lotion.

i think it ships to Canada. also www.paulachoice.com might be helpful, they have many skin care lotions for exfoliation. they also ship to Canada.

I think Dan's regime might be useful to arms, i didn't think it helped me a lot though. maybe i was just impatient. instead, i found using salt water helpful, right away i noticed a difference. salt dries it up, i just pat the solution on using table salt/water. hope this helps!

It is on the outside part of my arm. I am a guy so I do have hair on my arms, I don't know if that in any way may affect this.

Thanks for the info guys.

OK, bumps that look like pimples on that part of the arm are not acne. They are almost always a keratinization disorder related to acne called keratosis pilaris. Keratosis pilaris occurs when a plug of keratin builds up and blocks the follicle. They can be irritated by pressure or friction and become inflamed, looking like like pimples. They are sort of goosebumpy. If you can scratch the white keratin plug out you will often see a tiny little coiled hair pop out of it that's been growing in circles under the keratin plug, unable to make it to the surface.

There's no cure for KP and often people with acne have it as well - it also occurs on the outside of the upper arms, the outside of the hips and thighs, the fronts of the thighs and calves. I can successfully treat mine with an AHA lotion - i use one made by Eucerin. But it comes back quickly if i stop using it. Don't use BP on KP, it will only dry it out and that can actually make it worse. It needs to be moisturized and exfoliated - AHA is a good choice.

OK, bumps that look like pimples on that part of the arm are not acne. They are almost always a keratinization disorder related to acne called keratosis pilaris. Keratosis pilaris occurs when a plug of keratin builds up and blocks the follicle. They can be irritated by pressure or friction and become inflamed, looking like like pimples. They are sort of goosebumpy. If you can scratch the white keratin plug out you will often see a tiny little coiled hair pop out of it that's been growing in circles under the keratin plug, unable to make it to the surface.

There's no cure for KP and often people with acne have it as well - it also occurs on the outside of the upper arms, the outside of the hips and thighs, the fronts of the thighs and calves. I can successfully treat mine with an AHA lotion - i use one made by Eucerin. But it comes back quickly if i stop using it. Don't use BP on KP, it will only dry it out and that can actually make it worse. It needs to be moisturized and exfoliated - AHA is a good choice.

Wow i think this may be what my wife has. She has great skin on her face but she gets this kind of goose bumpy things on the sides of her arms to the shoulders. I can recall any hairs being under there but i know you can kind of scratch em off. Do you think this is what she has? what is the aha stuf? It really works. Thanks

Pop That Zit

Thanks for the information.

Is this AHA Lotion available over the counter or is it purely prescription? I've never heard of this type of infection so I'm not familiar with AHA Lotion.

Wow i think this may be what my wife has. She has great skin on her face but she gets this kind of goose bumpy things on the sides of her arms to the shoulders. I can recall any hairs being under there but i know you can kind of scratch em off. Do you think this is what she has? what is the aha stuf? It really works. Thanks

Yep, sounds like KP. AHA is alpha hydroxy acid - it's a mild acid that gently chemically exfoliates and basically dissolves the plugs.

Is this AHA Lotion available over the counter or is it purely prescription? I've never heard of this type of infection so I'm not familiar with AHA Lotion.

I got mine at the grocery store with the other body lotions. Here's a link to it on the Eucerin page so you can see what the packaging looks like: http://www.eucerinus.com/products/hb_pluslotion.html

yea I have had acne on my upper arms, back and chest for probably 7 yrs now, my back has completely gone away about 3 yrs ago but I still have it on my chest and on the outsides of my upper and NOW LOWER FOREARMS

the lower arms developed about a year ago and I sort of just recently decided id like to try n get rid of this because it seems apparent that its not going away

they are very very small bumps all over my arms and larger on my chest but NEVER on the inside of my arms of anywhere below my sternum area, seems to be much more than just acne...any help would be so greatly appreciated, thanks!

Pop That Zit

dude...that website is so disturbing. WOWWWWW