Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I ordered samples of Emu Oil from 2 different online stores. A 1/3 oz from the Aubrey Nicole store and a 5ml size from Diana Yvonne store. There both very nice and already after only 4 days I can tell a big difference. I have rosacea (pretty severe at times) and it totally has calmed my skin down and no breakouts. And I swear that some of my red marks from past breakouts seem lighter, maybe just less inflamed. While I was looking for Emu oil and comparing I went to so many stores and I almost ordered from Joppa (seems to be a favorite here) but I saw posts on their discussion boards about the emu oil smelling like fried chicken and being very oily...huh? I definately don't want to smell like fried chicken. Neither of these two that I'm using have any smell at all and from what I've read, Emu Oil shouldn't smell if it's 100% pure or ultra oil. Also it said that the best oil comes from Australia, which both of these supposedly do. Now, I'm wondering how they actually get the oil...I suppose that the Emu has to be harmed (?), not sure how I feel about using it when I think about it that way. Anyone have any experience with emu oil? Liking it, hating it? I never thought I'd be able to use an oil type moisturizer on this face :)

Heather

I have not used emu oil yet, but I do have some info about where it comes from. Emu oil comes from the fat of emus. So, the bad news is that the fat is taken after the emu is killed. However, emus are mostly killed for food, especially in Australia, and the use of the fat for emu oil is secondary. Emus are thought of a lot like chickens in Australl

I am not sure if this info helps or not. I know it is sad that the emus are killed, but they are not killed to make emu oil.

emus are killed for their meat and when they are killed the oil is extracted so in essence the emu would be killed whether or not the oil would be used because there is a huge industry for emu meat (its like a luxury or something).

personally, i REALLY like emu oil and am using joppa's. it does not smell like fried chicken but has a slight scent that disappears as soon as it dries. i have a very accute sense of smell (my boyfriend calls me a bloodhound) so others may not actually smell it. my boyfriend said it doesnt smell like anything.

i do not find joppa's emu oil oily. in fact once it is absorbed into my skin my skin is pretty matte, but not excessively dry.

you should probably note that i have not tried any other emu oil besides joppa's. but i am really happy with joppa's so i prob wont:)

is emu oil used like jojoba oil? do you apply it to a dry pimple? the red area? a new pimple? as a primer before putting on makeup? wear it all day? spot treatment?

i apply it as primer before putting on makeup and then at night after i cleanse my face (kinda like a moisturizer).

I've been using it at night before going to bed. I've put it on my entire face, a little goes a long way. It absorbs fairly quick. I'd probably use it in the morning, except that I'm always running around in the mornings trying to get my kids up and off to school and it leaves very little time for me to get ready. Shower, dress and makeup happens in about 15 minutes, so not sure that I could use it on the morning and have it absorb quick enough to put on my makeup.

longshot - wasn't trying to imply that joppa's emu oil wasn't good quality, just saw where several people in their forum were saying that it smelled like fried chicken and they thought it was odd.

Heather

hey gigglebox, i know you werent trying to imply anything about joppa's emu oil:) i was actually one of the people on the joppa board that said it had a distinct scent. i def dont think it smells like fried chicken tho:) i recommend that emu oil, but i dont really have anythign to compare it to.