Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I quit BP about 3 weeks ago. I've been using it off and on for 7 years now! Anyways these past few months since July I've been off BP for about a total 70 to 80 days. The first month and a half I broke out baaaaddly! I don't regret stopping though cause now my skin looks good. My acne has gone from severe to real mild. It depends on if you can tough it out through the breakout stage long enough to let your skin adjust and heal itself. Your skin has become a BP junkie and needs to get used to not having BP on it constantly! What are you using now and how bad is your acne?

I do not want to use BP anymore but am experiencing breakouts since I quit it two weeks ago. Does this go away or am I always going to depend on BP?

Hi, yes the same thing happened to me. Your skin will continue to breakout for a while but stick it out it will slowly learn to function on its own and will get over it's "withdrawl" stage. BP causes premature aging I regret using it for all those years. Your skin is in a period where its not used to functioning without the chemical affect of BP which was basically frying it causing your skin cells to constantly shed. BP traps you in a cycle where most people keep using it because they dont want to breakout due to the "withdrawl" stage. Stick it through, freedom from that shit is great.

Ell, You stopped BP too!? What do you use now and how bad is your acne?

I quit BP over a year ago. In retrospect its funny because previous to that I "attempted" to stop using BP but always went back to it because I rationalized the breakout as -BP is so great it keeps my skin under control and without it I breakout- when the truth was -BP is damaging my skin and has trapped me in a cycle where I have to use it or I will breakout due tof he BP withdrawl . I decided to stop using all those toxic heavy chemicals on my face.

I currently only use aloe vera for spot treatment. I try to use http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/ for everything I put on my skin. My skin thanks me.

My skin is amazing compared to how used to be. I'm taking care of my skin instead of destroying it in an attempt to stop acne. Diet has played a key role in helping my clearing as well.

Ell, You stopped BP too!? What do you use now and how bad is your acne?

I quit BP over a year ago. In retrospect its funny because previous to that I "attempted" to stop using BP but always went back to it because I rationalized the breakout as -BP is so great it keeps my skin under control and without it I breakout- when the truth was -BP is damaging my skin and has trapped me in a cycle where I have to use it or I will breakout due tof he BP withdrawl . I decided to stop using all those toxic heavy chemicals on my face.

I currently only use aloe vera for spot treatment. I try to use http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/ for everything I put on my skin. My skin thanks me.

My skin is amazing compared to how used to be. I'm taking care of my skin instead of destroying it in an attempt to stop acne. Diet has played a key role in helping my clearing as well.

Wow, that's great to hear! Thanks for sharing that. It's nice to know we don't have to depend on BP for the rest of our lives! I was starting to feel like I'd never have clear skin without it. Hopefully my skin will continue toget better and better. Do you have any red marks or bad breakouts anymore?

Thanks for the replyings. I am gonna stick it out now. I have been using bp for years and my 26 year old skin looks like it's 35. After reading that BP has been banned in Europe, that really made me stop. America's regulations both for food and skin care products are not in the best interest for the people. Anyway, I have started using Aubrey Organics line for Combo skin and an oil free neem and aloe gel. I also use Diacneal by Avene at nite.

The one thing I have noticed is the color of my skin on my face is starting to match the rest of my body. I am olive toned and my face has been pink for years. Also my skin is more oily. Now I just need a good natural loose setting powder for my shine.

Thanks for the replyings. I am gonna stick it out now. I have been using bp for years and my 26 year old skin looks like it's 35. After reading that BP has been banned in Europe, that really made me stop. America's regulations both for food and skin care products are not in the best interest for the people. Anyway, I have started using Aubrey Organics line for Combo skin and an oil free neem and aloe gel. I also use Diacneal by Avene at nite.

The one thing I have noticed is the color of my skin on my face is starting to match the rest of my body. I am olive toned and my face has been pink for years. Also my skin is more oily. Now I just need a good natural loose setting powder for my shine.

Congrats on quitting BP, it is hard I know. I was on it for 7 months and I quit when I started getting wrinkles. I was 100% clear though while I was on it. My skin didnt break out like crazy at first, it just gradually got worse and worse... it sucks and my skin is quite oily... but I would honestly rather go through that that go through what I went through while on BP. I couldnt smile cause my skin would crack!! And I was getting wrinkles left and right, I'm only 21!!!

Update:

Skin has improved alot. It is pretty much clear besides a few bumps, which go away in a day or two.

I ordered a natural powder from Aubrey Organics for oil control. I'll keep you updated on how that works.

My acne has been cystic and is worse week befor and during my period. It's not horriable but I usually have one to three large cysts all the time since I was 12, now 26.

Thanks for the replyings. I am gonna stick it out now. I have been using bp for years and my 26 year old skin looks like it's 35. After reading that BP has been banned in Europe, that really made me stop. America's regulations both for food and skin care products are not in the best interest for the people.

Since when has Europe banned BP? I think you might have misread something as unless I bought some from a black market peddler the other day then its still very legal in Europe

Update: I must of cursed myself thinking I was clear. I woke up with a whole new face of pimples. My forehead is covered, checks, and nose. Although I did try a new makeup yesterday.

Update: I must of cursed myself thinking I was clear. I woke up with a whole new face of pimples. My forehead is covered, checks, and nose. Although I did try a new makeup yesterday.

What kind of makeup did you use?

IMPORTANT - 'stawberries' saying that bp has been banned in Europe is NOT true. There are a few sites out there that are saying bp is banned in Europe. These sites are saying this to convince you to stop using bp, and buy their alternative products instead.

IMPORTANT - 'stawberries' saying that bp has been banned in Europe is NOT true. There are a few sites out there that are saying bp is banned in Europe. These sites are saying this to convince you to stop using bp, and buy their alternative products instead.

Yep I agree... and im pretty sure it was written by the same person too lol

Now my skin is the absolute worst it's been in years. It started with my forhead and it litteraly has spread all over. I don;t know what to do. It looks like I am 16 again and I'm 26. I feel like I am gonna have to use BP for the rest of my life. I do not want to scar my face any worse.... grrrrrrrrrrr I am so disappointed.

i have purged and broke out out bad befor but never like this. For those who quit did this happen to the extreme? How long did it last? It doesn't seem to be healing at all just spreading everywhere.

Hey there,

YES, YES, ,YES..... as Melodie and ELL said when you quit BP this could happen and I concur.... ESPECIALLY if you've used BP for any length of time (I used it for 10 yrs).... YOUR FACE has become reliant on it and IT WILL BREAK OUT SEVERELY AT FIRST because it's used to the BP doing its work for it.... to break open the oil / skin impactions and shed the dead skin cells.

I too am light/olive complexioned and when I used BP my face always varied between pink and orange , different from my neck and arms etc. BP also bleaches things so you can imagine what it's doing to your face. BP is an irritant.

I don't know how long this bad breakout will last for you. We are all different. Here is my history, if it helps.

I'm female. 35 yrs old. No one else in my family had acne past teen years. MOst had no acne at all.

I have suffered with acne since I was 10 yrs old.

Mild acne from teens to early twenties (mostly blackheads & small cyst/nodules).

Hardly used any products in my teens.

Started using BP at age 24. (applying it all over face and leaving it on twice a day, washed my face 2 - 3x a day, , also used ice cube applications ... basically I beat my poor face up)

My face was perfect for the first 3 yrs of using BP but it was oily.

My face then progressively got to where it was mild to moderate no matter what BP gel I used (including Dan's)

I QUIT BP and all soaps, scrubs, rarely use make up if ever and dumped all SLS shampoo and SLS toothpaste about 4 months ago. WATER ONLY for me 4 months now.

First month WATER ONLY: acne stayed same mild/moderate, black heads, nodules, skin felt grubby / oily.

2nd month WATER ONLY: acne got SEVERE, face covered with black heads, nodules, cysts, whiteheads, skin felt grubby, less oily.

3rd month WATER ONLY: acne calmed to moderate/mild, fewer black heads, small bumps like impacted pores and a few nodules. face felt DRY. not oily at all. started using the HOT water DIP method. RED LEFTOVER SPLOTCHES EVERYWHERE though.

4 month WATER ONLY: still have faint red splotches all over but.... improving greatly. NOW I WASH MY FACE once a day and sometimes skip a day or two and my face is dry and my acne varies between mild and moderate only because of hormone fluxuation before my period. MUCH fewer black heads, fewer nodules. My face is about the same now or better as when I used BP. Much less irritated and the zits come and go fast.

PLEASE GIVE THIS WATER ONLY METHOD 6 MONTHS if you can. The fact that your face is worse than it's ever been tells you the BP has done something to your face to weaken it or make it reliant on the BP. DAN himself admits that if he goes off BP he also gets zits and he's in his 30s. Why hasn't he grown out of it.

Another tip: Sodium Lauryl sulfate, Laureth 4 and other ingredients in shampoo, ,toothpaste and cosmetics, soaps etc could be causing your acne.

GOOD LUCK to you.

Thanks. I would try the water thing but it wont wash off my makeup. Still your giving me hope, that I won;t look like a freak forever.

Use Cetaphil and wash cloth soaked in hot water to remove makeup. Other than that you don't need any other topicals just hot water. If you want, try epsom salt, ACV, and baking soda. Steaming helps a lot too!

Nothing but bad can come with just using water only. ATLEAST use just a CLEANSER. You are leaving

all that crap that gets on your face throughout the day and water won't get rid of it.

I agree BP causes premature aging. I finally stopped because I noticed very obvious and noticeable fine lines on my face. Not around my eyes but at the area near it where I would put BP.

I went through a really bad period of trying to stop the breakouts using alternative treatments. Finally I just stopped all together and tough it out. After 2 weeks my skin adjusted and I was fine. But those were the worst two weeks of my life. On top of stopping BP, I stopped using makeup so my skin can really heal, man I was not a pretty sight.

I found that using the goat's milk soap I bought and a simple moisturizer like jojoba oil or complex 15 was all I needed. I just made sure I wash my face 3 times a day and whenever I feel like I need to. I figure if my face feels icky, that's my skin's way of telling me I need to wash it or I'll pay via breakouts.

Update:

I have been using Aztec clay, mix with with some powdered sublimed sulfur and apple cider vinager as a mask every few days.

I made a mix of my toners, burt's bees tomato and aubrey organics blue green algae in a small bottle with some sulfur. I use a q-tip and spot treat.

For daytime I have been using Aubrey organics 100 pure aloe. It's wonderful, it's not a gel, or cream but pure liquid. I just pour a small amount in my heads and pat my face and neck.

I also use avene diacneal for nite. This is a over counter Retinaldehyde at 0.1% and Glycolic Acid at 6% cream.

My skin is looking much better. :) I'm really glad I've stuck with it.