Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaybee

Connection between playing videogames and acne?

Now I've been wondering for a long time if there's a connection between video games and acne. So I decided to do a small study in a group of heavy gamers and found that there was a weak, but still visible correlation between people who play video games for 4-6 hours a day and those who don't. So I did a small write up trying to explain why I thought this was the case at my *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules* page.

If anyone has anything to add, let me know!

This is the most far-fetched connection to acne I have read so far. :dance:

I have acne, I dont play videogames.

My boyfriend plays computer games all day long and doesnt have any acne. :wall:

The only thing I could possibly connect to that is that the blood does not have a chance to circulate as much.

But even that is pretty far fetched.......

No I didnt read it :( I'll have to read it tomorrow when I'm more awake. We are not ridiculing you, believe me, probably everyone here has posted their thoughts on some connection to acne.

Some are pretty funny to read - because we are all in the same boat -- trying to find out what causes acne!

For example - my stupid post about unhappy suffering animals that we are eating every day causes our bodies to be unhealthy and perhaps cause acne to be worse. :P And I dont even eat them yet I have acne :P

Now I've been wondering for a long time if there's a connection between video games and acne. So I decided to do a small study in a group of heavy gamers and found that there was a weak, but still visible correlation between people who play video games for 4-6 hours a day and those who don't. So I did a small write up trying to explain why I thought this was the case at my acne in gamers page.

hmm ask ur self.... how old are these ppl ?

Hmmm...

Well observing gamers, they tend to eat lots of junk food and soda while playing, and they don't really exercise. Those could aggravate existing acne, but I don't think they'd cause acne out of the blue. So I'd say acne prone + sedentary lifestyle + fueling on trans fatty / refined sugar / refined flour junk food and drinking soda all day is an invitation for big problems.

A lazy lifestyle could make things worse...but I doupt it has a important impact on your acne.

When you play a game for a long time and seem to know everything about it and then something doesn't go your way, that should of, its quite stressfull belieave me.

All those factors in your report + lack of sunlight = Acne

Mine got worse over the summer from living the xbox lifestyle.

Now I've been wondering for a long time if there's a connection between video games and acne. So I decided to do a small study in a group of heavy gamers and found that there was a weak, but still visible correlation between people who play video games for 4-6 hours a day and those who don't. So I did a small write up trying to explain why I thought this was the case at my acne in gamers page.

I think you have a point there

4-6 hours is too much or at least is too much without interruption

To be protected from overuse injury of the tendons and the sight it has been suggested to make a pause of 10 minutes away from the screen every 40-50 minutes of computer using or gaming

I can see a relation with your stress theory as that pause would slow down the realistic stress response as you're slowly brought back to the real world

It would interesting to make another pool linking gaming with infection, colds and flus, that would further show a relation between many hours of videogames and lowered immunity

Personally I can tell you that after 15 minutes of playing with 3D arcade games I get sick almost as if suffering from kinetosis and my stress levels is so high that even small noises make my jump in anticipation even if it has been several minutes I've stopped playing. That's why I prefer platform 2D or puzzle and LucasArts adventures. Zelda never did that to me nor any game on SuperNintendo ... but the last generations videogames ... I can't stand them

It's also true that it's not easy to think of eating a fruits or carrots while playing with those games.

It's sweets, potato chips, french fries and so on

I would also add another factors

Clearly 4-6 hours daily of gaming results in a very sedentary lifestyle

I do believe that we're plagued by sedentarity in a worrying way; sedentarity does more victim than smoking as it increases exponentially all disease and death risks three times more than heavy smoking does

On top of that we're not even given alternatives. Even if following an organized sport kids are not exposed to tasks that would allow to them to keep their muscoskeletal system (bones, tendons, ligaments, muscles) fit

The results is that if sedentary kids are unfit and undermuscled, sport kids are less unfit but still undermuscled.

Sedentarity has one of the biggest implications in acne

It's just enough to think that the lack of insulin resistance and diabetes in people who otherwise eat white bread and flour products as their staples is explained by their lack of sedentarity

And I do believe that data show that insulin resistance is one of the biggest explanation for bad acne

Oh and stress increase insulin resistance too

Also it's useful to remember that insulin resistance is not a specific disease only a small percentage of the population suffer from. We all suffer virtually from insulin resistance, the degree just depends on how much saturated our cells are and how heavy the downregulation of insulin receptors is. In western country following the western sedentary lifestyle and refined diets we all are suffering from higher or lower degree or insulin reception downregulation and therefore insulin resistance. Teens are more susceptible to downregulation and are even more insulin resistant. 2 + 2 ...

noted, If I write a second version of the article, I'll be sure to go more in depth in the sedentary lifestyle.

Also, I got a fury of people mailing me hate mail because they think I said: "playing video games will give anyone acne".

My only point was that excessively playing video games will lead to breakouts if the individuals are already acne prone.

noted, If I write a second version of the article, I'll be sure to go more in depth in the sedentary lifestyle.

Also, I got a fury of people mailing me hate mail because they think I said: "playing video games will give anyone acne".

My only point was that excessively playing video games will lead to breakouts if the individuals are already acne prone.

The point those people need to get is that playing video games doesn't worsen acne per se BUT if playing video games for many hours daily lead to 1) decreased sleep 2) junk food snacking in front of the computer 3) sedentary lifestyle and 4) increased stress (especially because of lack of pauses between sessions) then it CAN WORSEN acne or even cause it ...

we should ask someone who is clear from acne right now to try to play 5 hours daily without interruption to high strees response 3D videogames while drinking 3 liters of soda and several kilos of fried chips ... I'd like to see what is of him/her in two months :think:

i used to be a heavy gamer before, sometimes playing about 12 hours a day for a long period of time. There were times where i thought sitting in front of the monitor for that long caused some breakouts to occur during the day as i'm playing. But i think it was the stress, because i did really get stressed when things didn't go my way or made a big mistake in the game, sometimes slamming my fist to the table. But who knows, it may have no relation to my face at that time.

well...gaming tends to be popular for the young teenagers

young teenagers tend to experience the...hormones and that stuff

maybe those game freaks are just going through puberty? assuming theyr of the young teens

unless the statistics or w/e is based on a well representative group of many ages

w/e

young teenagers tend to experience the...hormones and that stuff

Which alone can't cause acne ...

maybe those game freaks are just going through puberty?

puberty alone can't cause acne or be considered a cause of acne

Rather than gaming causing acne, maybe gaming attracts people who already have acne. Computer games are easy on people with acne, there's no social pressure, you can do it in the comfort of your home, theres no one to judge you, see you, its a world away from bars, nightclubs, disco's (lol does anyone still go to disco's?), and any other social situation where looks and other superficial characteristics are highly prized.

Being addicted to World of Warcraft does nothing but bad things to your skin and health.

Trust me i have been there. :D

i play game sand yes games do cause acne i know that for a fact. It only causes acne if u play it a lot and worry about wiining and losing. That crates physioligical stess whichc auses acne.

Of course theres a connection.

If you got acne, you stay inside more and play more videogames. Dont need no study for that.

I played video games at a high level all through high school and had not a single pimple. Since I started to get acne I quit playing games, but the acne is still there.(10months) Mmmmmmmm. Video games make me happy, and what is the number one acne killer? happiness!

I think tonight I'll boot up the 360, get a couple of aces in S&D. :)

And nothing spells 'rape' like mp44 headshot through your 16!

Oh yea, p90sd with Juggy causes acne. That's a fact. Don't use it.

The main factors for me are stress. Trying to get 100% on guitar hero songs and restarting them all the time lol. I used to be grossly spotty when I was a 'hardcore' WoW player. Playing hours on end without breaks and always needing to complete that last quest.

I usually find that when I'm at university, when I come back for holidays my skin is quite clear. But as soon as I get into the inactive, computer game loop of the holidays when I have nothing else to do, It all goes wrong. But I rarely eat junk food, so that is out of the equation for me.

Of course theres a connection.

If you got acne, you stay inside more and play more videogames. Dont need no study for that.

Exactly. Which came first? :)

Video games actually HELP with my acne. Playing Guitar Hero for an hour after a long stressfull day at work helps me escape for a bit while putting a smile on my face. What's wrong with that? :dance:

As far as "stressfull" games being a cause of acne, what about watching movies? Wouldn't that have the same supposed effect if you're watching a thriller, drama, or well, anything other than a comedy for 2-3 hours?

As another poster had mentioned, I believe it's more about sitting on your butt for hours on end stuffing your face with awful food and pop.