Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello. I am new to these forums. I have had acne for a few years now ( Im 16) and its gotten to that point where i needed to go to a dermatologist. I just went to one yesterday and he told me I should be put on Accutane and I was happy because I heard how good it was. Here are my questions...(forgot to ask him).

I also have scars on my face so will Accutane help get rid of them even slightly do to the skin peeling??

How long does it usually take to see improvements??

Im in sun a little bit like on my way home and maybe in gym so could I apply sunscreen to my face??

I know Accutane shuts down the oil glands so does that mean thats the problem with acne is the oil glands???

Thanks

Hi.

If you mean deep scars then, no accutane won't help those, & as for the small scars they'll just fade/flatten out on their own in time. but accutane won't speed up that process.

To see improvements, it depends on the person. you could see results within a month, others can't see results until after the treatment has ended (or nearly ended) as i've been told before - It's unusual to clear quickly, not the other way around.

I personally don't wear sunscreen, i prolly would if i was out in it all day, but i walk to & from work everyday & it doesn't bother my skin. again peoples skin is different.

Accutane (in time) reduces the oli in your pores & shrinks your pores. No oli = no spots.

Hope this helps :)

aww thankya! lol I have to go to school while im on it though so will my face look terrible when im on it?? Like really really dry??

yeah.. Moisturiser and chapstick really help. But yeah my face is all white from like dead skin.. everyone just thinks it's a really bad sunburn

some ppl's skin doesn't look bad while on it tho. i know w/ mine i apply cetaphil cream at night and in the morning and my skin looks great. it's not oily at all but it's not flaky. it really just depends on the person, the dosage, etc. so don't be too afraid of a bad looking face, just be prepared to know that it could be dry looking.

Accutane (in time) reduces the oli in your pores & shrinks your pores. No oli = no spots.

This is a common oversimplification. Accutane does shrink the oil glands, but oil is not really the cause of acne. Acne sufferers have abnormal (overactive) desquamation and keratinization. What that means is that the cells inside the pores shed off (desquamate) into the pore much faster than they should, and the keratinocytes produce too much keratin. This stuff blocks the pores like a bunch of sticks and debris can form a dam and block a river. Sebum (oil) is like the mud that glues that dam together. If the sticks and debris weren't there, the mud would just wash away. And if the pores weren't clogged with cellular debris, the oil would exit to skin's surface without causing an acne lesion. I'm sure you've met people with very oily but clear skin - their pores aren't clogging so they have no acne even though they are really oily. People with dry skin can get acne too - even though they aren't oily they still break out because their pores clog.

Accutane normalizes desquamation and keratinization in addition to it's effects on the oil glands, and that's how it clears skin.

WOW!! lol Thanks alot. Im getting the medication today but i hope it doesnt cost too much. How much does it usually cost??? A while ago my mom bought me stuff that didnt work at all but was expensive so i hope she wont have to pay alot this time.

Accutane is very, very expensive in the US, even the generic versions. Not as bad in Canada. But most health insurance will cover the bulk of the cost and she'd only have to pay the co-pay (which varies, $10-50 or so) if you are insured.

As for the scarring, recent trials have shown low dose accutane to be benefitial for scar treatment.

Porad, do you have a link to that trial? I'd like to read it.

Gimme a sec.. it's only mentioned in passing I believe.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...h&DB=pubmed

In severe papulopustular and in nodulocystic/conglobate acne, oral isotretinoin is the treatment of choice. It is also required for patients with moderate to severe acne, especially when acne scars start to occur A new therapeutic approach consists of a low-dose regimen of isotretinoin. We performed a comparative study of high- and low-dose schemas of isotretinoin per os for the treatment of acne. The purpose of this study was to assess the therapeutic effect and tolerability of low doses of isotretinoin in the treatment of acne vulgaris and compare low-dose with high-dose regimens. Sixty-four patients (35 women and 29 men) with different types and grades of acne vulgaris were divided into two treatment groups of 32 patients, in a trial that compared a low dose of 0.15-0.40 mg/kg per day with a high dose of 0.5-1.0 mg/kg per day. These regimens were analyzed with reference to clinical history of acne, baseline investigations, dose and response to isotretinoin, clinical and laboratory adverse effects, relapses and cost of therapy. The mean success rate of the low-dose schema was 69%. The total dose up to 120 mg/kg should be followed for optimal results (success rate of 91%) and avoidance of relapses. The low-dose schema produced fewer adverse effects and offered a very beneficial effect on pre-existing scarring. Our results confirm the beneficial effect of the low-dose schema. We recommend a total dose > or = 120 mg/kg, as this therapeutic regimen of isotretinoin has proven to be the most successful in preventing relapses and scarring.

So how does Accutane help get rid of already existing acne if all it does is shut off oil glands???

The fact is we're not sure precisely what it does.

Hello. I am new to these forums. I have had acne for a few years now ( Im 16) and its gotten to that point where i needed to go to a dermatologist. I just went to one yesterday and he told me I should be put on Accutane and I was happy because I heard how good it was. Here are my questions...(forgot to ask him).

I also have scars on my face so will Accutane help get rid of them even slightly do to the skin peeling??

How long does it usually take to see improvements??

Im in sun a little bit like on my way home and maybe in gym so could I apply sunscreen to my face??

I know Accutane shuts down the oil glands so does that mean thats the problem with acne is the oil glands???

Thanks

My recommendation is just to use a moisturizing sunscreen every morning. YOu will probably need to use a moisturizer anyway, just use one that is a sunscreen. Find one that is labeled "noncomedogenic" this means it does not cause comedomes, which are blackheads, clogged pores. Ask your derm for a specific recommendation, they often have samples, grab a handful!

I do believe from my experience that you should really be careful about sun exposure while on Accutane. Use the sunscreen routinely so you don't get surprised by unscheduled sun. My experience is that burning is a problem while on the med.

Theres some discussion here about oil glands, etc. There's been a lot of good explanations. The medication makes actual physical changes in the oil glands and works on several levels - reducing oil output, reducing the clogging factors in the pores, and reducing the bacteria growth in clogged pores- all of which are the root of acne. Often those changes are permanent or linger for several years. That's why accutane can have long term or perrmanent effects.

I recommend you read up on the readily available info on the causes of acne. There's places on this board that have that info.

The amount of time it takes and the actual therapeutic and side effects vary from person to person. I'm on my third course and all three times have been moderate dose (.5 mg/kg - more common is 1.0). I had very significant "initial breakouts" all three times which began after about two weeks and lasted for 2-3 weeks. After a month I was back to the pre-accutane state, but had no significant breakouts after that. Therefore, as the existing pimples went away, my face and body became clearer and clearer until at about 2 months, I was pretty much cleared up and that lasted through the 4 month course and for a full 5-6 years afterwards. The initial break out was a drag, but well worth it.

As for existing lesions, accutane doesn't help them go away faster in my opinion. If they are cysts, I recommend that you have the MD inject them.

HTH