Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thEneXtChaPter

seeing a doctor for this?

I've been taking fish oils for 3 weeks now, and they have not made the slightest difference at all for my back. my back was killing me last night absolutely killing me just from standing too long. I feel old but at the same time im too young for this. i'll be 18 in 2 weeks, but im in horrible shape, my back is a huge reason, and this is an insecurity of mine. 1st acne, now body pains have been bothering me. Even though I dont play sports anymore or that kind of thing, it just bothers me mentally as well as physically. my mother keeps tellin me to see a doctor and go for physical therapy..

Whats physical therapy gonna do for me? Will that fix my back? I doubt it. Whats the point of physical therapy for me?

2nd off, the doctor is gonna ask how I hurt my back. What am I supposed to say? I hurt it from taking an acne medicine? Chances are the doctor will think im crazy because he most likely never heard of accutane and doesn't know about that factor, and i will feel embarrased going to a doctor and saying that. The fuckin idiot that called me from the amnesteem lab told me to see my derm for my back. what is my derm going to do for my back pains?

Did you ever increase your dosage, or did you just keep taking the smaller dosage?

You are right - it's unfortunate but if your isotretinoin side effects are persisting, i don't think there's much that anyone can do for you beyond prescribing painkillers.

Did you ever increase your dosage, or did you just keep taking the smaller dosage?

You are right - it's unfortunate but if your isotretinoin side effects are persisting, i don't think there's much that anyone can do for you beyond prescribing painkillers.

:cry: . and yes i made my dose higher.

Physical therapy worked wonders for my back years ago. I was at the top of the pain scale that they use (nausea, sweating, and something else I can't remember).

With that said, they never asked what happened. I said it came on gradually and would come and go over the years. They just wanted to know if it's related to an injury. They will probably have you do core strengthening exercises (talk about sexy abs, these exercises will do that for you).

Go see a doc.

Platinum

yea im coming closer to making that decision. just i dont know if it will fix m back, maybe it will make it better but i want it fixed.. and not to sound like a whiner, but with college classes, its hard to find time for both. im always tired and fed up after class so i come home and fall asleep.. im supposed to start working again soon, i dont know how im gonna balance classes and work, plus an additional physical therapy would be a rough add on.

I've been taking fish oils for 3 weeks now, and they have not made the slightest difference at all for my back. my back was killing me last night absolutely killing me just from standing too long. I feel old but at the same time im too young for this. i'll be 18 in 2 weeks, but im in horrible shape, my back is a huge reason, and this is an insecurity of mine. 1st acne, now body pains have been bothering me. Even though I dont play sports anymore or that kind of thing, it just bothers me mentally as well as physically. my mother keeps tellin me to see a doctor and go for physical therapy..

Whats physical therapy gonna do for me? Will that fix my back? I doubt it. Whats the point of physical therapy for me?

2nd off, the doctor is gonna ask how I hurt my back. What am I supposed to say? I hurt it from taking an acne medicine? Chances are the doctor will think im crazy because he most likely never heard of accutane and doesn't know about that factor, and i will feel embarrased going to a doctor and saying that. The fuckin idiot that called me from the amnesteem lab told me to see my derm for my back. what is my derm going to do for my back pains?

If you have not been seen by a doctor, to diagnose the cause of your back pain, then I urge you to do so.

It is possible, that accutane is not the cause of your pain and that the timing of your problems was just a coincidence... You could have something else going on...and maybe it is treatable.

I've suffered with back problems over the course of several years.

I went through physical therapy and it helped me immensely.

yea im coming closer to making that decision. just i dont know if it will fix m back, maybe it will make it better but i want it fixed.. and not to sound like a whiner, but with college classes, its hard to find time for both. im always tired and fed up after class so i come home and fall asleep.. im supposed to start working again soon, i dont know how im gonna balance classes and work, plus an additional physical therapy would be a rough add on.

OK, you may not be a whiner :boohoo: but (danger :excl: mom reaction, so take it for what it's worth) if you are feeling fed up and tired at your age, you should definitely see a doctor. The pain is probably starting to affect you psychologically. Especially back pain. It can make you feel as if you cannot handle your work load. As much as we like to label doctors as drug pushers, they do have some good stuff that may help you get through this. Or they may rx physical therapy.

You can always try it (drugs or physical therapy) for a week and, if it simply is too much to handle, then quit. But don't keep doing nothing for your pain. It will wear you down. I know this from experience.

Good luck,

Mama Platinum

I have the same thing going on. My back, especially the lower back and my butt are so painful. I can hardly walk standing straight with the pain, and i know it's from accutane. I've given up exercise till the 'tane is over. I never had problems before. Mine started when i went from 40mgs to 80mgs, and have continued since.

Sometimes if hte pain gets bad, i just skip a day or two of 'tane and the pain subsides a little.

I don't want to do permanent damage to my bones but i'm damned if i'm coming off 'tane after four months.

My lower back has been hurting too, but who know's if Accutane is the culprit. It's not so much pain, but it just gets stiff and uncomfortable.

Naproxen or Advil might help OTC...or I've heard really good things about glucosamine chrondroiton for joints, but that takes about 3 months to begin working. I'd see an MD and get an opinion, for sure.

1. You're ridiculous for thinking that a doctor will make you feel stupid for telling him that you're experiencing the documented side effects of a medication. That's just retarded dude.

2. Don't dish out money for physical therapy you might not need. If you're really interested in correcting your own problems with your back, TAKE UP YOGA. I am not pushing the eastern jive, but before you knock it TRY IT. I have suffered from lower back pain during my course but it is almost unnoticeable if I've been practising some positions that are extremely easy to do. All you need is a decent space and a good book to start with and I would absolutely recommend BKS Iyengar's Light on Yoga. Again, I'm not a salesman, I own the book, I wouldn't be pushing it on a site for acne. If yoga doesn't work out seek out a professional or do both at the same time.

Don't be so pessimistic about available treatments - don't think that the best hope you have is to take painkillers for the rest of your life. There ARE things you can do to make your back (and at the same time body and mind, should you choose) stronger.

2. Don't dish out money for physical therapy you might not need. If you're really interested in correcting your own problems with your back, TAKE UP YOGA.

He wouldn't get physical therapy if it wasn't needed. You can't just walk in the the therapist and demand treatment. You usually need a referal, at least if you want insurance to pay.

OTOH, yoga is an excellent idea. And once you learn it from a class you can pretty much do it on your own. I would suggest a good instructor. They can correct bad positions so you get the most benefit.

What I meant was, maybe I'm lost, spending money on anything other than a good yoga book and a maybe a decent mat would be a bad idea until you've seen what some of that crazy shit can do for you, mentally and physically.

Ok, listen, don't buy any other book than BKS Iyengar's Light on Yoga. I'm pushing it now, ok? Because Yoga has become the next fad, and there's a lot of bullshit out there. If you're going to take it up, Iyengar is the one of the last living renowned/authentic teachers. Besides that, the book is concise, easy to use (some of the poses are not easy, however, esp in the beginning) and extremely well written. The religious/eastern overtone of the book, especially the intro, might be a little bit foreign and esoteric but it does not stop it from being an excellent book and you learn something about eastern religion and philosophy in the process.

well thanx for the help everyone.

Yeah kittenkaboodle glucosamine is very good im thinking of starting it again. years ago i was having pretty bad knee problems and i went on glucosamine and it was a huge help, my knees are now mostly fine.

i know its easy to say this is a coincidence that happened during tane, but its not. its fom tane.if i was having knee problems, then i'd say u can't blame tane because i've had knee problems in the past. but i've never ever had any probkems what so ever with my back. never once. i worked out hard and used the heaviest weights i could use and played sports often and never ever had anything wrong with my back.

my back started aching really bad immediately on tane, probably the 2nd week of tane, and i cut out all working out and mostly all sports during tane, so i wsn't active at the time. i was taking tane in the winter, and the 1st i noticed my back problems was i was at work and i was shoveling snow and my back was abosultuely killing me shoveling. there was an old lady next door shoveling snow, and i was thinking instead of sholveling her snow for her, i need her to shovel mine for me!

my back pain has gone down since finishing accutane so it doesn't ache as it did during the beginning months of tane. during those 1st 3 months my back pain was bad. the final month its calmed down but still hasn't gone away.

my back is from tane.

and RIGHTOK, i know its alil rediculous.. but.... not all physical therapy doctors are familiar with acne and that kind of stuff. and im really insecure about acne. i HATE talking about it, it makes me uncomfrotable. even that im clear now, if i even hear the word acne i start blushing and sweating. if 1 of my class mates had acne and someone was talkin to them about their acne, i'd start getting embarrased. i HATE talking about acne. and you gotta admit it is pathetic. i hurt my back because of my skin? before i knew what acne was, if u would of told me i was gonna have back problems, i would of thought from sports or something, i would of never in a million yrs guessed or understood my face would fuck up my back.

I just fele uncomfortbale with the whole thing. and i know im gonna be depressed like hell at physical therapy. but i decided im going to see a doctor for this. this way i can atleast make an effort to do something about it.

Good. I'm glad you are going to do something about it.

Honestly, I don't know how important it is to tell them you were on accutane. I'm not saying to lie, but tell them you don't know what happened and that it just started hurting a few months ago and won't go away. Maybe once you get comfortable with them, you'll feel like you can tell them about accutane.

Of course, if you can bare it, tell them about the accutane right away. The more info they have, the better.

Just more advice from someone who's been through back pain.

Platinum

i dont know where this fish oil thing came from. fish oil is famous for being high in vitamin A. you have to watch vitamin A while on accutane. retinoic acid (vit. A) was originally used for acne before they refined it into accutane. they refined it because the vitamin A therapy had too many side effects like muscular/skeletol.

i dont know where this fish oil thing came from. fish oil is famous for being high in vitamin A. you have to watch vitamin A while on accutane. retinoic acid (vit. A) was originally used for acne before they refined it into accutane. they refined it because the vitamin A therapy had too many side effects like muscular/skeletol.

I just looked at my bottle of fish oil. There is no vitamin A in mine.

im always tired and fed up after class so i come home and fall asleep.. im supposed to start working again soon, i dont know how im gonna balance classes and work, plus an additional physical therapy would be a rough add on.

FWIW I took up yoga about a year ago and it really helped my (non-accutane related) back pain. Plus it actually helps with stress too, so you know how you mentioned that you are tired and fed up, etc. The yoga will actually help you with that. I work full-time and attend grad school at night and feel much less stressed when I'm keeping up with the yoga.

Also, if you explain to the physical therapist that the back pain is a side effect of the medication, why would they laugh? They are professionals, not the kids from school. If you think they will doubt you, bring some patient information. But as someone mentioned upthread, you'd probably need a referral anyway, so they'd be aware that it is enough of an issue that someone gave you a referral and they wouldn't give you a hard time. I've never had a doc give me a hard time for anything I went in for.

This is more of a side note, but: I do yoga between one and three times a week, I think it's amazing. Be sure if you're gonna do yoga to find a GOOD teacher! Many teachers simply don't know how to adjust poses based on individual constitutions. You could suffer from serious injuries if you have an instructor who ignores your complaints that something hurts OR if they do an adjustment improperly. If anyone lives in San Diego, I can direct you to an amazing studio :)

But that isn't the point I wanted to make: Have you looked into chiropractic care for the back pain? That's my next step-- I know it can work wonders and it's something you could probably fit into your schedule more easily than physical therapy.