Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, like many people here, I suffered from acne (and lots of it)! I remember last Christmas that not one single square centimeter of my face wasn't covered with zits, yuck. I tried everything, and the only thing that seems to work was benzoyl peroxide but it didn't clear me completely. Now I found something that is effortless and works wonderfully for me. It's called... the birth control pill. I never would have guessed it would work this well but my face is actually completely clear! I take it once a day and that's it. No more washing faces 3 times a day, no more dry flaky skin, and I saved soo much time not having to take care of my face. It works great by itself, but sometimes I still find small bumps here and there. For that, I just use (a small amount of) 5% or 10% benzoyl peroxide (I reccommend Clearasil Ultra NOT plain Clearasil) once a day, and that's it!

I guess the pill would be more of an issue than other regimens, so I will go over side effects as well

1- weight gain: I didn't experience any weight gain (I've been on it for 4 months) but I've heard people say up to 10 lbs.

2- blood clots: If you're young, there is nothing to worry about. The odds are very rare. Besides, being pregnant would make you 100 times more at risk of blood clots than the pill ever will.

3- bigger boobs: once again, I missed out on this :( For most people, this would be a positive thing but if you think you're too big already, then you might not like the pill.

If you've tried all the products, and you're still dissatisfied, I would strongly reccommend the pill. For me, it works better than any other products and I've felt the need to pass the word.

How can you consider this a sexist thread? Seriously, that makes no sense. :wacko:

Thaliagoo- I've also heard from people that birth control did wonders for their skin. How long have you been on it?

We lots of members who are having sucess with birth control here! I'm sure you'll find lots of support for that! We do also have some members who are having little or no success with birth control - unfortunatey acne and what works to help it varies from person to person.

LOL. What is up with this Aggy person? What a moron. Anyway...I've been on BCP for about 5 months, and I've been clear for about 2 months. For the first 3 months, I was breakin out like crazy. I haven't gained weight, and my boobs have grown a cup...Or atleast they feel like they have...I'm pleased with the results too, but I don't want to have to rely on it forever.

I've been on BCP for about 5 months, and I've been clear for about 2 months. For the first 3 months, I was breakin out like crazy. I haven't gained weight, and my boobs have grown a cup...Or atleast they feel like they have...I'm pleased with the results too, but I don't want to have to rely on it forever.

yep! when i was on the pill the following things happened:

WARNING TO THE BOYS: EXPLICIT "FEMALE" CONTENT! :lol:

~acne cleared up considerably (not completely, but a significant improvement).

~boobs grew an entire cup size.

~randomly lost about 5 to 7 lbs? (never really gained it back afterward)

~PMS (moods and cramps) was a bit less extreme.

~period became very "regular" -- every 28 days exactly.

~period became significantly lighter -- down to 3 or 4 days as opposed to my usual 7-ish. and less "flow" overall.

i think that's about it. i also think that's about enough..lol. despite all these things, i quit the pill after about a year, and would not go back to it again. it was interesting to try, but personally, i don't like the idea of synthetic hormones, and all the risks that they introduce to the body. (and disturbingly, my period never returned to the way it was before.)

How can you consider this a sexist thread? Seriously, that makes no sense. :wacko:

Thaliagoo- I've also heard from people that birth control did wonders for their skin. How long have you been on it?

because it only applies to women. besides, it was probably just a joke anyway.

The pill isn't sexist.. it's just a woman thing so there's not a whole heap of point in guys reading this thread. It's not our fault we have periods and uterus.. uteruses? utersi? Whatever. Lol.

I don't think Aggy was joking I think that's just the type of person he (?) is.. weird, rude, and completely irritating (from the posts of his I've read)

The pill isn't sexist.. it's just a woman thing so there's not a whole heap of point in guys reading this thread. It's not our fault we have periods and uterus.. uteruses? utersi? Whatever. Lol.

I don't think Aggy was joking I think that's just the type of person he (?) is.. weird, rude, and completely irritating (from the posts of his I've read)

"Sexism is commonly considered to be discrimination and/or hatred against people based on their sex rather than their individual merits, but can also refer to any and all systemic differentiations based on the sex of the individuals."

um..back to topic..

ive just started taking Yasmin, hoping this will sort out a lot of problems with my body..did anyone find whilst taking this that they broke out during the 7day break?im so worried i'll spend 1/4 of my time having a period, and breaking out, then spending the other 3 weeks trying to get rid of any breakouts.

If you are breaking out during the placebo week you have a couple options. The first is switching to Yaz - Yasmin's low dose sister pill which has fewer placebo days, a lower estrogen dose, but the same anti-androgenic progesterone componenet. Or you can talk to your gynecologist about taking Yasmin continously - skipping the placebo week and just starting a new pack. (You will probably experience some spotting if you go this route.)

kinda sucks that you have to put up with all the side effects for clear skin on birth control..... then when you go off it the acne will come back, sometimes worse.

My only side effects on Yasmin are positive ones.

you are very very lucky then. even the people who like it and stay on it usually report horrible side effects, they just get used to them and accept it.

it's good that you are an exception though.

No, the people that complain about it on the internet probably report horrible side effects, but that doesn't mean that the side effect profile for all users is terrible as you imply. People who are taking it and like it don't feel the need to go post about it on a message board.

Hm. Well, good for you. Unfortunately taking Yasmin was what gave me the breakout of my life, and the first acne scars I've ever had. :(

Same here, I had a terrible breakout two weeks in. Thinking it would go away though, I kept taking yasmin for a bit over three months. I developed terrible cystic acne, which I never had before. It is different for everyone but I haven't heard too many good experiences with this brand.

Hm. Well, good for you. Unfortunately taking Yasmin was what gave me the breakout of my life, and the first acne scars I've ever had. :(

Same here, I had a terrible breakout two weeks in. Thinking it would go away though, I kept taking yasmin for a bit over three months. I developed terrible cystic acne, which I never had before. It is different for everyone but I haven't heard too many good experiences with this brand.

Yasmin is working quite well for my daughter.

My derm has tried to persuade me over and over again to try birth control pills for my adult-onset acne (confined to the left side of my neck)...but I am way too scared to. I have a history of anorexia, and although I am healthy now, the thought of gaining weight absolutely TERRIFIES me. I would not be able to handle it. I have seen websites and testimonies go half-and-half...50% say they have had weight gain, the other half say no. I'm not even willing to take the chances (no, not even 5 pounds!).

But then again, it may be my last resort because I have been through so many treatments and nothing is working.

Yasmin has a special progesterone that's a diuretic - it won't cause the water weight gain that other brands cause. And i actually lost a significant amount of weight with minimal effort (simple portion control) while on it.

My derm has tried to persuade me over and over again to try birth control pills for my adult-onset acne (confined to the left side of my neck)...but I am way too scared to. I have a history of anorexia, and although I am healthy now, the thought of gaining weight absolutely TERRIFIES me. I would not be able to handle it. I have seen websites and testimonies go half-and-half...50% say they have had weight gain, the other half say no. I'm not even willing to take the chances (no, not even 5 pounds!).

But then again, it may be my last resort because I have been through so many treatments and nothing is working.

thats the same as me..im just in recovery now, and have suddenly put on nearly 40lb, so feel enormous anyway...ive only been on Yasmin a week and a half, and havent put on any more weight so thats good, but i was hoping it would help more with my usual water retention problems, but im just about the same.

thats the same as me..im just in recovery now, and have suddenly put on nearly 40lb, so feel enormous anyway...ive only been on Yasmin a week and a half, and havent put on any more weight so thats good, but i was hoping it would help more with my usual water retention problems, but im just about the same.

I refuse to take the pill because of weight gain and boob issues as a recovering anorexic the thought of this drives me to the brink. My derm has suggested low dose accutane as a possible cure for my acne. I just hope it works. I know lots of women have fantastic results on the BC but for me its just not an option. I am hoping to take meds for a fixed amount of time to get my skin clear and then get on with my life. Hopefully, in a couple of years, I'll be free of acne, not having to take any meds at all and my husband and I can start a family. As my cycle has always been pretty regular and never given me too much trouble I don't want to mess it up with BC.

But I totally appreciate that it works for a lot of ladies and they are happy on it.

youve had great results what bc are you using ive been on orthotricyclin 5 months havent stopped breaking out new ones constantly thinking of stopping,dr said poss go on yasmin however reading this board people say no good results there either