Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kierstabelle

A Doctor's Fear = No Clear Skin

I have been going to the same dermatologist for 10+ years, and we have tried everything- about a dozen antibiotics, probably even more than that of topical; we tried to culture the bacteria in my acne. And still the acne persists- that big, apinful nodular acne that has now spread to my back and I am getting smaller acne over my chest.

I went to her today to discuss Accutane, which I wasn't even sure I would qualify for since I have some other medical problems. And she wouldn't even discuss it with me, or my condition. Not because of me, or my case- just because she doesn't want to. Not because I don't fit the guidelines for receiving Accutane. She even called the acne on my chest and neck inconsequential to HER.

Then she tells me she wants to put me back on an antibiotic we have already tried which didn't work. And then goes on to explain to me that birth control pills and antibiotics can decrease the BC effectiveness-- the woman can't even say sex...so I finally tell her "I'm not having sex" to which she then goes on to tell me about her non sex life!!! Seriously, I didn't know need to know that and besides that we are supposed to be discussing my problems.

And my parents aren't being supportive at all- they just keep telling me "it isn't a big deal learn to deal with it" and I shouldn't have to learn to deal with this-- I'm 22, when do I get to start deciding what is right for me? I feel like my acne is my cancer, and people keep trying to prescribe me aspirin thinking that is going to take care of it.

Everything else about us we are able to change (hair color, eye color, our smile, our bodies- hel, even our personalities with the right drugs) except for our skin. Why are we so cursed, and why won't people help us?

Everything else about us we are able to change (hair color, eye color, our smile, our bodies- hel, even our personalities with the right drugs) except for our skin.  Why are we so cursed, and why won't people help us?

Kierstabelle, you need a new dermatologist. That behaviour (talking about her own life, whether your acne matters to her, refusing to discuss treatments) is outrageously unprofessional. You should not be dealing with it, and if you have cystic acne, you should have the option of accutane - and if your derm refuses to prescribe it, you have the right to know why.

This woman should be ashamed of herself. evil.gif

I wish you the best of luck. let us know how it goes.

Vanessa is right!!

Don't waste any more of your money on this derm. It seems obvious to me that she is not taking your condition seriously. Based on your description you sound like someone who would qualify for accutane.

Definitely go and see someone else to get a second opinion. Acne is also a condition which can in many cases be fixed with the proper treatment.

Good luck, be strong!!!!

smile.gif

I second what everyone has said. You need a new derm. There is *no* reason why you should have been put through 10 yrs of unsuccessful acne treatments. What I find just as disturbing is that she has probably worsened your condition by breeding a better bug with all of those antibiotics. Eventually the bacteria becomes resistant to the antibiotics. Change doctors. Keep changing doctors till you find one that is really willing to work with you and listen to you. They're working for you! Make them earn their money!

For what you're describing, I think that accutane would be an excellent choice. I tried the antibiotics (3) I tried the topical creams (5) and I even tried some perscription oxy-pad type things. I went on accutane two years ago and am honestly pissed off that my doctors didn't put me on it sooner.

Thank you...I needed that. I got an appointment with a new dermatologist in a couple of weeks. I don't know much about him, but he is the only one in our area that is accepting new patients, so now I'm in the process of seeing if any of my other doctors have heard of him and what they think.

I am thinking of swearing off all acne meds until I meet with him- that way he has a clear understanding of the kind of acne I have been living with and what he is up against as a dermatologist.

As far as my other dermatologist-- she was better than the first one I had seen (which was about 11 years ago). I didn't stay with him long-- he was crazy!! Mind you, he was a very well respected member of my home town area's medical community. He believed that my acne was caused by what I ate, and forced me to spend about 7 months eating nothing but PB & J sandwiches and soy milk. Crazy.

I wish dermatologists let you see them when you are in the middle of a big breakout. But you always have to make an appointment and it's like you skin knows you are going in so it clears up a little right before you go- maybe I should start taking pictures of my skin to help them do their jobs...

I don't know..I'm rambling. Anyway, I just wanted to say Thank You!!

I wish dermatologists let you see them when you are in the middle of a big breakout.  But you always have to make an appointment and it's like you skin knows you are going in so it clears up a little right before you go- maybe I should start taking pictures of my skin to help them do their jobs...

I never go off meds. Most of the time I was on meds that if you stopped for a couple of days they couldn't be used anymore because your body became resistant to them.

But since I am in between dermatologists right now, I figure I can stop all of the prescription meds, and stop the regimen for the next couple of weeks and then go to this new dermatologist with a clean slate (well, for our treatment though probably not my skin).

Now I just have to find the perfect full coverage makeup in the meantime, to deal with all of the acne that will spring up and not heal or leave those blasted red marks for years on end.

So we will see how it goes...

I'd been to many Derms and none of them helped me. After spending 2 years with my last one I found this site, tried Dan's regimen and for the second time in my life have been clear (1st time was from birth control pills). I never went back to my Doc! That was 3 months ago. You really should try the regimen- if you are not clear you have nothing to lose.

I hate to say but there's not much variation in dermatologists. They're all educated with the same material, courted by the same drug companies, licensed by the same govt and stay paid whether they help people or not.

i think derms would have found a cure by now..they just dont want to.This way they get cash and the patient isnt in a life or death situation so they can drain him year after year..

Kirstabelle, I had acne much like yours. I went to derm after derm and tried every antibiotic available. They did nothing for me and may have made my acne worse. I would not waste any more time with antibiotics. If I could do my teenage years over again I would go straight to a good endocrinologist. Get your thyroid and adrenal gland tested. I now take levoxyl for hypothyroidism and spironolactone for my skin sensitivity to androgen and have achieved contol of my sebum production and acne.

If you ask your derm about spiro they will probably try to discourage you but don't let them. Insist ofn a referral to an endo. A recent study I read showed 63% of females with acne lesions have levels of one or more androgen that is higher than females without acne.

Wow notmyfault that is quite a stat re:acne sufferers androgen levels. I had always understood that only a small percentage of women suffereing from acne showed significant variation in androgen levels. Could you please tell me your source I would be interested to read more. Thanks