Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaylee

Australian chick needs help....with moisturiser........

I have combination skin - VERY oily T-zone and normal cheeks.

I get pimples in my T-zone area - surprise!

I use the normal Cetaphil cleanser & moisturiser (for dry skin) cause thats all I can find here in SA and I don't think it's helping the oil factor at all (expecially the moisturiser). BUT I can't seem to find any of the recommended moisturisers with SPF in them here.

My criteria is - oil free, spf, non como etc, derm approved, not too $$

Today I found an Olay, Nivea & Clearasil moisturisers which fit the above. BUT Dan says the Olay doesnt moisturise and the other 2 aren't rated at all. I was also surprised to note the Clearasil didnt say non como or derm approved - but the other 2 did.

I'm not interested in purchasing over the net - just want to find something suitable at Priceline or somewhere local.

Your thoughts?

ego QV do a good facial moisturiser with spf...but it may be too rich for you.

From my experience oil of olay is ok for the price and not bad if your skin is typically oily. A brand I really like is avene moisturisers...theyre pricey but very good.

I was going to say you should ask frances, our resident Antipodean product-reviewer, but I strongly suspect the guest above is indeed her.

I don't know if Paula's Choice delivers all the way to Oz, but if so I highly recommend the essential non-greasy sunscreen SPF15. This is the only sunscreen I've tried that doesn't break me out, other than Darphin ($$$$$).

guest - if your still around....where can i find avene moisturisers and do they have spf - and how much mulla are we talking? as long as you get what you pay for - im happy!

frances hey...so frances was that you?!

and tks vanessa - i just looked it up and we can get pc here. think id still prefer to exhaust all local avenues first but she has some interesting points to make too!

Twas me...there is something odd in the set up of this board - no log in prompt.

First I should say that I have dry, sensitive, hypoallergenic, acne prone skin....so as you can imagine I know bugger all about specific products for oily skin...but through a whole lot of trial and error I do know a lot about skin care quality and causes of irritation.

Avene moistuisers are about $45 NZ dollars when i used to live in Britain I paid a tenner for them. I use avene in preference to Clarins which is my my more expensive second choice. Sometimes I feel like I am selling avene products because I recommend them so often - im not....here is their site

http://www.dermaweb.com/english/dermato/av...e_produits.html. Check out moisturisers to see what you think. I think they also have a map for stockists. Check some reviews on dooyoo before you consider buying anything tho.

Vanessa mentioned Paula's choice...I have had mixed results with her products...but her advice and reviews are excellent. Go to reviews, choose moisturisers and you'll find out all the dirt before you part with your cash.

If I lived in the states I would be giving the eucerin/aquaphor range a whirl...it is cheap, gets consistently high ratings, and is often recommended by derms and plastic surgeons. Don't know if you can get that in Oz but if you could ...I would start there for something not too expensive.

The OV moisturiser is australian made...so you should defintely be able to find it...it is about $25NZ so pretty reasonable. It is really for sensitive skin....ao probably as I mentioned too rich for you....but you could probably test it out at a chemist. NZ company Living nature do an organic moisturiser/sunscreen which will be pretty good but likely smell bad http://livingnature.com/ourproducts/produc...s/skincare.html (Never used their products...I like my face care white, over packaged and smelling nice - thanks).

For any spf moisturiser look for titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, avobenzone or Mexoryl in preference to benzophone and oxybenzone.

Do you use any topicals Shaylee? I have been following Dan's regimen for about 10 months - with great success. Maybe adding bp (a la regimen) to your routine in the evening might really turn things round straight away.

That is all I know...hope it helps.

hello peeps

i was just wonderin if u could help me with information on finding a good moisturizer. I don't wanna buy from the net cuz i don't have a credit card. so can u plz plz give me any info on finding any moisturizers when u live in the uk. I can't find any of dan's recomended products here either.

SO PLEASE HELP ME PLEAAAASE

Frances, i have also had mixed results with PC products, really that sunscreen is the only product I've tried of hers that really gave good results for me. And about the Mexoryl, be careful Shaylee - everyone is different, but that stuff was like the devil incarnate for me.

Hehe Frances, you are so distinguishable, I knew it was you straight away! biggrin.gif

Hi Vanessa.

I ripped the spf advice off from cosmetics cop...she apparently took it from fda (or similar) guidelines. But I agree...I view all sunsreen ingredients with caution, as for me they have been a historic cause of dermatitis and you just know they will be isolated out in the future for causing some evil problems - but what can you do?.

I say...all the better to get a sample product before you buy.

ps - Vanessa I am glad I am distinctive ...let's just hope it is not based on my apalling spelling and grammar! lol

lol, frances, it's not the spelling/grammar, it's because you sound like a salesperson for Avene products. Do you get a cut? No, really? biggrin.gif

Note to anyone reading: I am joking, frances gives EXCELLENT product advice and has no affiliations with any cosmetics company, and furthermore Avene products, while pricey, are some of the best I've tried. biggrin.gif

tks for your advice....

im a little glum at the minute so youll have to sigh for me uhhhhhhhhh

just back from the derm who SHATTERED my hopes and i cant even be bothered filling you in - even though the positive feedback you would no doubt give would make me feel better.

im opting for feeling sorry for myself today - pathetic i know #-o

ciao for now & tks for the info!

Hey Shaylee

well you don't need to fill us in too much, there's only so many ways a derm can make you feel bad... sad.gif

But you know, if your derm is telling you there's nothing they can do, then my advice is: get a new derm. And keep trying different things, eventually you will find something that works for you - we're all different you know! If you haven't tried Dan's regimen (I'm just guessing b/c you're going to the derm) then try it NOW! And if you are or have and it isn't working, give it time. It took me about 4-5 months, but my skin is way better now.

Good luck! Let us know what the derm said when you feel up to it. And for now: warm bath, good book, glass of wine & chocolate. It's the only way... O:)

tks vanessa that was nice - made me smile.

last night was just one of those nights, my derm was running late 1hr to be exact! and by the time i got in there with my list of questions - all he wanted to do was get me outta there...

and i REALLY should not complain cause im probably much luckier than most people who come to this site to learn & share.

so rather than dribble on about the hows and whys of it all - lets just say i had big plans for topical treatments and the derm didnt agree. so im back as of today on the drugs and will take him on again and do much better in a couple of months. regroup and attack is my plan!

and you were right about 2 things for sure

1. if he lets me down at my next appt - its time to find another

2. bath, book, wine & chocky!

tks mate!