Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
defying_acne

HAVE HAD LITTLE SUCCESS WITH RETIN-A?

Hi

I'm fifteen and a half and have suffered from mild-moderate acne since I was maybe 10 and a half or 11 years old, so all the way through adolescence (so far!)

I first consulted a GP about it about three years (or maybe four) ago and they gave me Benzoyl Peroxide, which worked pretty well. It cleared my skin somewhat at any rate, although not to perfection, much improved.

However, eventually the BP started not to work so well and my skin worsened again. So I went back to the doctor, who gave me a new cream, can't remember what.

Since then, I have been rotating cream treatments because they all seem to work for a bit and then become less effective. I did for a time take anti-biotics of some kind, which seemed to have little effect.

Recently I went back to the doctor's AGAIN and they gave me Retin-A, which has maybe improved my skin a little, but not to the extent that I would hope.

I'd like your opinion on what I should do next. Continue with rotating stuff like BP, or ask for some more oral medication. Also, what is your experience with acne that starts early? Does it go away eventually: I'm driven mad by the thought that it could be years and years before my skin is completely better.

It's not very severe acne but it's always there. I'll always have a bumpy surface to my forehead, a few blackheads on my nose & cheeks and more obvious pustules around my chin and below my ears, along my jawline.

I hate it so much!

How long have you been on Retin-A? It takes time to work, like six months or so.

I've only been on six weeks. My doctor told me to come back in a month if it was no better... do you think I should cancel next week's appt and stick it out a bit longer?

How long have you been on Retin-A? It takes time to work, like six months or so.

I've only been on six weeks. My doctor told me to come back in a month if it was no better... do you think I should cancel next week's appt and stick it out a bit longer?

it took me three months to see improvement with Retin A. but it did work.

I got almost 100% clear but my derms said no to Retin A because it

was too harsh for my skin. Everyones different. BUT BP and Retin A

is like sandpaper for a lot of skins.