Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
excellor

Screw every1...tanning is the S**T

Wut beentheredone that is saying is that there is ABSOLUTELY no positive effect of tanning or being out in the sun AT ALL accept to walk back and forth to your car everyday at work. Not true. I know personally, many of my friends who had acne and tanned, saw a huge improvemnet within a weeks time.

Don't put words in my mouth. The walking back and forth to the car was a specific reference to Vitamin D production. I did not even address the effect on acne. But for the record, while sun can temporarily improve acne, as soon as you stop it flares, often worse than it was to start with. To use sun to control acne you must expose yourself frequently, and increasing your exposure increases the risk of skin cancer and will speed photoaging.

What "scientific facts" back this up? Wheres the data that supports that tanning affects every one of a different race?

Are your Google fingers broken?

Fine, here's an article from the Dermatology Times. http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...l.jsp?id=137978

Here are a few quotes of note:

Photoaging affects every race, gender, creed but especially sun worshippers

Regardless of demographic group, all people are susceptible to cutaneous photodamage, although factors such as skin pigment do offer protection, according to Henry W. Lim, M.D.

The sun, in a sense, is an equal-opportunity offender. Anyone who spends enough time in the sun, especially without protection, will suffer the ravages of exposure to ultraviolet radiation, says Dr. Lim, chairman, department of dermatology, Henry Ford Hospital.

Even dark skin does not confer immunity from UV damage, Dr. Lim cautions.

Minimizing sun exposure and using UV-ray protection, Dr. Lim advises, can reduce photoaging effects in people of any age, gender and skin type over a lifetime.

And that's just from a single article. Google "photoaging race" and you'll see lots of others that say the exact same thing.

It seems like on almost every post in this thread, you have quoted information from just this one doctor's article. Although, you have done your research and answered my question with facts. Credence for your info is awarded. :D

It seems like on almost every post in this thread, you have quoted information from just this one doctor's article.

I have never quoted from an article in this thread before that post, and i mentioned that the quotes were from a single article, but many more exist that say the same thing.

I don't think either of you will come to an agreement. Through my findings I still find that it truly comes down to genetics in regards to how your skin will react to the introduction of UV rays.

I do believe that beentheredonethat is way too radical on her stance against tanning, or being in the sun in general, and I find that quite sad especially from the fact that she lives in Florida, what a waste.

when i went on vacation in cuba last year my skin was amazing!! a few months after i started going to a tanning salon.. it helped my skin a little at first but then not much of a difference after.. anyways i stopped taning my face because i heard it would make red marks last longer.

sooo for me anyways, i think theres a difference in natural sunlight and the tanning bed.

recently i just did mystic tan - the spray on tan- and it worked so well! it covered my red marks reallly well. it made my face look dirty at first but after the next day it was great!

i was really afraid to try it but im soo glad i did! i almost felt like i coul go with out make up

anyways.. obviously you cant deny that darker skin is less suseptible to skin cancer. ppl with dark skin are USED to and designed to be living in the sun. look at tropical places all over the globe, why dont they ALL have skin cancer from basically living every day undet he sun? cause their skin is DIFFERENT.

not to say NO 'coloured' person will ever get skin cancer. but obviously they have more protection against it than a pale white person.

I do believe that beentheredonethat is way too radical on her stance against tanning, or being in the sun in general, and I find that quite sad especially from the fact that she lives in Florida, what a waste.

If you lived in Florida and saw women who look 10 years older than they really are due to photoaging and who constantly lament their sun-worshipping you might come around. I on the other hand look much younger than i really am.

not to say NO 'coloured' person will ever get skin cancer. but obviously they have more protection against it than a pale white person.

Obviously. But they still get it. And they are still susceptible to photoaging. Dark skin does not confer immunity.

Look guys - tanning is your choice of course. If you are willing to trade increased wrinkles and other sun damage and an increased risk of potentially fatal skin cancer for a tan now - that's up to you. In my opinion that's a very shortsighted choice to make that i beleive you will someday regret, but it's your choice to make. But don't kid yourself that it doesn't damage your skin - because that's a fact, not an opinion.

how old were your red marks?

how long have you been using the cream (3 and 6)?

how much better would you say your marks look?

where did you get the cream?

im using retin-a micro for my red marks, i hope its as good.

:)

Retin A micro should be even more effective since it's a stronger retinoid. My red marks are pretty old, i have no idea how long i've had some of them because i have marks on top of marks, ya know? There is one in particular i got right as i started my last Accutane course that was still very bright red and noticeable even after using level 3 Green Cream for awhile, but i moved up to level 6 about a month ago i'm thinking and that mark is almost gone now. I used level 3 for two bottles and it took me awhile to go through them since i was getting used to the retinoid. I think i have to order a new bottle of 6 pretty soon. For a better sense of my adjustment to them check out my log in my sig, the last few posts should give you more detailed info. I get it online from www.lindasy.com.

Guest ~Wolfy~

when i went on vacation in cuba last year my skin was amazing!! a few months after i started going to a tanning salon.. it helped my skin a little at first but then not much of a difference after.. anyways i stopped taning my face because i heard it would make red marks last longer.

sooo for me anyways, i think theres a difference in natural sunlight and the tanning bed.

Correct! Well observed!

It's been researched. It turns out that the *visible* blue light (of which there is little in most artificial UV sources) kills the acne bacteria (P.Acnes).

The blue light works by activating a chemical present in P.Acnes (a porphyrin), but not in human skin. The chemical generates free radicals that over 3 or so days, kills the bacteria, and the skin sorts itself out (that takes longer- about 3 months- same time it takes if you are on antibiotics or basically any other good acne treatment).

That's what the Blue/red lights do. They supply visible blue light that kills the bacteria, much as sunlight does, but without the UV, so no tanning and no UV-damage. The Red light helps the healing process along as well in a different way.

In a clinical trial in Britain, the home-use lamp providing blue/red light gave 75% improvement in 80% of the users who had mild-moderate acne in 3 months.

So, anyone who is getting suntans to improve their acne; I strongly recommend you stop, and get one of the home-use lamps instead.

(I don't recommend the dermatologist office's lamp, they're very expensive in the short term, and not as good in the long run either because they normally charge you to repeat.)

i've been hearing alot about light therapy and these lamps.. i am wondering if i should try and buy one.. aany idea hw much? probably like 200$?

I think it's fairly obvious that sunlight in moderation is healthy.

I mean our cavemen ancestors didn't have any of this sunblock, they would just instinctually seek shade if the sun felt too hot.

Of course on the other hand there's absolutely no denying that sun causes skin cancer and photoaging. Even in moderation it will... it'll just cause these ailments in moderation aswell, and in the case of skin cancer the body can mop up the cancerous cells much easier if they are being made at a lower rate.

I don't know why there's any disagreement on this topic...

Yeah sun can help acne, of course it can. It kills bacteria and dries out pores. But it could also cause the cancer and phtoaging i've mentioned.

Whether there's a healthy compromise of sun exposure somewhere in the middle... that would depend on many factors.

You can always have an opinion. It's kind of dumb to have an opinion that the world is flat imo, but you can beleive it if you want. One day you'll come full circle and regret the sun damage, but if you choose not to listen, can't say that no one ever warned you.

Everyone's skin responds differently to sun exposure. I was a sun worshipper as a kid and well into my 20's. I am 40 and I dare you to find a wrinkle due to sun exposure. I have friends far younger than me who look 50. They just don't have the same type of skin.

I have very oily skin which protects very well.

I must admit, though, I do not "tan" anymore on my face. I wear spf15 and sunglasses. I have a lot of acne scars and I don't want to make them look darker.

Platinum

By the way...

I absolutely do not recommend you go and get a burn, but I actually did get a pretty severe sunburn on my back 10 years ago or so, and 2 or 3 months later, after all was said and done, I looked at my back and it was clear and scar-free.

Just goes to show that there's fresh skin just waiting to be exposed.

I hate it when people tell you to avoid the sun.

Wrinkles. lol Yeah I don't care about wrinkles,

Like excellor said certain people have a better tolerance for tanning. I've always tanned really well. My mom tans constantly and people always think she's about ten years younger then she really is.

Don't listen to people telling you to hide from the sun and turn into a goth or something.

The fact is sunlight helps me and I'm about to start going to a tanning salon, I've allready bought time in the bed.

Tanning is the only thing that keeps my back and chest clear. I haven't gone tanning for the last two months and i'm breaking out again so i'm definitly go to start again soon. I have really oily skin and tanning dries it up so that's why i think it works for me.

depends where you live also. In New Zealand the burn times range from 9 - 12 minutes in the Summer. Sun Screen is a definite must. You still get tanned with sunscreen.