Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Parasol

I'm starting Accutane tomorrow... what is your BEST advice?

Tomorrow I start my first ever Accutane (generic brand Clarus) treatment. I'm on 40 mg for the first month, then 80 mg for the second month. FYI: Two month supply costed me about $215 CDN. I have been exploring these boards and there is a lot of information here...

I want to ask a question to those that have been on Accutane - now that you have gone through it or are going through it, what is the best tidbit of advice that you have to share? What advice did you read or what product did you buy that you couldn't live without while you were on the drug?

I'm so excited to get started! I'm 31 and I just kept waiting for my skin to GROW UP... it never did.

Tomorrow I start my first ever Accutane (generic brand Clarus) treatment. I'm on 40 mg for the first month, then 80 mg for the second month. FYI: Two month supply costed me about $215 CDN. I have been exploring these boards and there is a lot of information here...

I want to ask a question to those that have been on Accutane - now that you have gone through it or are going through it, what is the best tidbit of advice that you have to share? What advice did you read or what product did you buy that you couldn't live without while you were on the drug?

I'm so excited to get started! I'm 31 and I just kept waiting for my skin to GROW UP... it never did.

Aquaphor is the best thing I have found for my lips.

Citrucel to help the first couple weeks with constipation from the drying aspect of Accutane.

Head and Shoulders for itchy scalp...happened around the 2nd week, and lasted for a couple of weeks.

Systane eye drops.

Aveeno "Ultra Calming" Facial Wash and Moisturizers.

"Personal Lubricant" if you are a woman...

Good luck...never thought at 39 yrs old I would still be dealing with acne.

1)don't worry too much

2)be patient

3)aquaphor and dr. dan's cortibalm for your lips.

4)fish oil pills

5)don't expect instant results

6) if you are on an oral antibiotic that doesn't end in cycline don't stop taking it for the first month or so on accutane.

7)don't squeeze pick or pop. (believe me)

8) don't use topicals such as BP to spot treat ( I just made that mistake)

9) never leave the house without your chapstick (cortibalm)

10)eat healthfully. cereal, fruits, veggies.

Good Luck.

1)don't worry too much

2)be patient

3)aquaphor and dr. dan's cortibalm for your lips.

4)fish oil pills

5)don't expect instant results

6) if you are on an oral antibiotic that doesn't end in cycline don't stop taking it for the first month or so on accutane.

7)don't squeeze pick or pop. (believe me)

8) don't use topicals such as BP to spot treat ( I just made that mistake)

9) never leave the house without your chapstick (cortibalm)

10)eat healthfully. cereal, fruits, veggies.

Good Luck.

been on it for a month and at the same time taking minocycline, going strong man, wouldnt reccomend it, but its working for me.

6) if you are on an oral antibiotic that doesn't end in cycline don't stop taking it for the first month or so on accutane

Why is it bad to be on an antibiotic that ends in cycline? I'm on Tetracycline right now, if I even start Accutane then I should stop taking the antibiotics?

Amen, dont pick. But I dont practice what I preach

Start early with the chapstick and you can avoid your lips getting bad.

Drink lots of water--you'll need it.

Head and Shoulders (i think i'm using citrus breeze or something) for that itchy itchy scalp (which is driving me crazy)

dont mess up your ipledge...

6) if you are on an oral antibiotic that doesn't end in cycline don't stop taking it for the first month or so on accutane

Why is it bad to be on an antibiotic that ends in cycline? I'm on Tetracycline right now, if I even start Accutane then I should stop taking the antibiotics?

He said DOESN'T. Stop worrying. Antibiotics that DON'T end with 'cycline' generally interact badly with accutane

Sorry this is wrong. You should be avoiding oral antibiotics that DO end in -cycline. That said, some derms do still prescribe the two together because they don't view the risks (brain swelling) to be significant. Personally, if there is a choice between a cycline antibiotic and a non cycline antibiotic during your Accutane course, I would definately go for the latter.

LOL, I'm 40 and my skin never grew up, either!! But, I have far fewer wrinkles than my friends do mostly because of the oil slick. :razz:

Well, it may sound silly but my best advice is to relax about accutane. Chances are you won't have any heinious side effects.

I was unprepared for how painful and dry my lips got. But thankfully the pain, redness and swelling is gone. I think the Dr. Dans Cortibalm really helped, so I would suggest that and the Aquaphor.

good luck,

Platinum

Thanks for your advice everyone - I took my first pill with breakfast this morning. I just keep wondering if this Accutane thing is too good to be true - a CURE for acne? We'll see.

Anyway, not picking is going to be IMPOSSIBLE! I love to pick with a magnifying mirror. Oh well, I can change. I think.

I hope I can find those products here in Canada. I'm going to need a good lip balm because I'm already hooked on my balm before Accutane.

I've been reading the boards and I'm so glad we don't have to go through that iPledge stuff up here.. that sounds like a real pain in the butt!

Thanks again everyone.. I'm taking notes.

Don't forget the water.

What does "IB" mean?

IB = initial breakout (influx of lots of active acne)

most people if they get it, have it show up around week 3 and can last a week, or 3 months.

I'm starting Accutane tomorrow... what is your BEST advice?

1. BE PATIENT! Don't expect quick results, courses are usually six months long for a good reason.

2. DRINK LOTS OF WATER! Accutane dehydrates you, especially when you first start, and this can lead to headaches and other issues.

3. MOISTURIZE! Your face, your body, your eyes, your lips, your hair, your everything. The course is much easier to deal with when you manage the dryness.

4. TAKE YOUR ACCUTANE WITH A MEAL THAT CONTAINS FAT! Accutane is lipophilic (bonds with fat) and taking your dose with fat more than doubles your absorption.

Do not take -cycline antibiotics along with Accutane. They increase the risk of a yucky rare side effect called psuedotumor cerebri. Antibiotics not in the -cyclin family are OK.

Thanks to the people who cleared up the "cycline" drama :lol: I will definitely let my doctor know before I start anything.

Good luck with everything!

Sorry this is wrong. You should be avoiding oral antibiotics that DO end in -cycline. That said, some derms do still prescribe the two together because they don't view the risks (brain swelling) to be significant. Personally, if there is a choice between a cycline antibiotic and a non cycline antibiotic during your Accutane course, I would definately go for the latter.

read it again and pay attention this time. i said if you are on an oral AB that DOESN'T end in cycline keep taking it. in otherwords, you should definitely stop taking cycline ABs

but double negatives change the meaning of a sentence, fore example: they're aren't no more cookies left instead of they're are no more cookies left the sentence i originally wrote means what I intended it to mean.

... anyway, i'm sorry for the confusion.