Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
notcool

Clear Skin and Atkins diet.

Hey guys - just wondering if this was just a coincedence or if there is some reason why I had clear skin while on the Atkins diet.

For the past few years I have been going to a derm and nothing seemed to work. I have taken all sorts of meds, and for the past year have been on the CSR religiously. Nothing seems to really clear me up. For about 4 months this past spring I was on the Atkins diet. During that period I remember that my face was looking great and I was talking with my mother and she mentioned how good I looked, not only for losing the amount of weight that I had but also that I was clear as could be. I noticed it too but never really talk about acne in public. Then as I got off the diet and weened myself to a normal diet - still relativly healtyh as I have kept the weight off - my acne started coming back and nothing has stopped it. My acne is not major, mild I would say. I would say I get 1 larger pimple every few days - meaning that my face constantly has an active pimple and constantly ones that are getting better.

I read a post a few moments ago and I linked it with my past diet. Could there be a correlation between my old diet and my clear skin?

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=121615

"Could be a symptom of insulin resistance or PCOS for some, which would make sense considering the success rates or low GI/GL diets and stuff like Atkins clearing people (even when they weren't eating for their skin)."

-Ariventa

If it is the case - What was I eating that was helping? I am not sure exactly what a low GI/GL diet is or consists of, but obviously it relates to a low carb atkins style diet.

Anyone that could shed light on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

did you have lots of dairy on the diet ?

While on Atkins I had lots of cheese. Cant think of what else I had that was dairy as most of it has lots of carbs. Morning I would eat an omlette with cheese. Afternoon would be a salad with some grilled chickbreast and some cheese. Night would be a chicken breast or two.

Now I am eating some oatmeal in the morning, a ham sandwhich with a slice of cheese for lunch, and usually a chicken breast with rice or maybe a potatoe. Really dont drink milk.

Many people report clear(er) skin while on Atkins or similar diets, even when they were eating for weightloss and not for their skin.

If it worked before, it should work again, but you may not have to be as strict as Atkins, but instead eat more low GI/GL foods like fruits and vegetables instead of breads and pasta.

Here's a random link off google about GI http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/gi_diet.htm

Just google low GI (glycemic index) or GL (glycemic load) diet for more info and guidelines. FOr the most part, this kind of diet would probably match up pretty consistently with Atkins but without the rigidity of only being able to consume X number of carbs a day. (Is Atkins 50 grams a day?).

Guest ~Wolfy~

It's known that acne is at root an inflammatory disease.

Dr Barry Sears claims that when you have a relatively high protein:carb ratio (Atkins being an extreme case), then you get an anti-inflammatory effect, similar to taking aspirin (aspirin is a Cox inhibitor, but taking Cox-2 inhibitors such as Vioxx has been shown to improve acne).

For most people the Atkins diet is probably too extreme, but you could probably try the Zone diet.

I have have had some success being on the zone diet in the past with reducing my acne, I think the theory is sound.

It could also be a wheat intolerance. People eat a lot less wheat on the Atkin's diet. I didn't know I had a wheat intolerance until I tried a low-glycemic diet, and realized that pasta (wheat) made me sick while creme-brulee (sugar) didn't effect me at all. This was something I never could have noticed before, because under a standard 'American' diet, I had eaten wheat at every meal.

It could also be a wheat intolerance. People eat a lot less wheat on the Atkin's diet. I didn't know I had a wheat intolerance until I tried a low-glycemic diet, and realized that pasta (wheat) made me sick while creme-brulee (sugar) didn't effect me at all. This was something I never could have noticed before, because under a standard 'American' diet, I had eaten wheat at every meal.

I agree. You are probably sensitive to wheat and possibly all grains as well. Many people do quite well eating no grains at all. Try it.

I think my problems with acne are related to wheat - so I am going to try and avoid it.

Does this sound ok as some main staples for my diet?

Morning is eggs, cheese, ham, onions - aka omleette lol

lunch is salad with grilled chicken strips

maybe a chicken breast with brown rice.

dinner is chicken breast with veggies like carrots, broccoli, beans, corn etc.

maybe some brown rice.

This is similiar to what I did on the atkins - except the brown rice, whcih I understand has no wheat.

Any thoughts?

looks good. The only thing I would add is maybe a peice of fruit here and there for snacks, but I don't know how low you are keeping your carbs, though.

looks good. The only thing I would add is maybe a peice of fruit here and there for snacks, but I don't know how low you are keeping your carbs, though.

Carbs really arent the issue - i am more so believing that wheat is the problem here. Before after and during my atkins run - I ate pretty much same sans toast for breakfast w/ eggs, a potato for dinner, pasta for dinner, lunch was a sandwhich - sometimes two. I always ate generally healthy, relativily good stuff except for the grains - hopefully this will clear me up..

Of course - forgot to list snacks which will be apples, and some other fruits. lots of water of course. Any other ideas for a snack?

Hey guys - just wondering if this was just a coincedence or if there is some reason why I had clear skin while on the Atkins diet.

For the past few years I have been going to a derm and nothing seemed to work. I have taken all sorts of meds, and for the past year have been on the CSR religiously. Nothing seems to really clear me up. For about 4 months this past spring I was on the Atkins diet. During that period I remember that my face was looking great and I was talking with my mother and she mentioned how good I looked, not only for losing the amount of weight that I had but also that I was clear as could be. I noticed it too but never really talk about acne in public. Then as I got off the diet and weened myself to a normal diet - still relativly healtyh as I have kept the weight off - my acne started coming back and nothing has stopped it. My acne is not major, mild I would say. I would say I get 1 larger pimple every few days - meaning that my face constantly has an active pimple and constantly ones that are getting better.

I read a post a few moments ago and I linked it with my past diet. Could there be a correlation between my old diet and my clear skin?

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=121615

"Could be a symptom of insulin resistance or PCOS for some, which would make sense considering the success rates or low GI/GL diets and stuff like Atkins clearing people (even when they weren't eating for their skin)."

-Ariventa

If it is the case - What was I eating that was helping? I am not sure exactly what a low GI/GL diet is or consists of, but obviously it relates to a low carb atkins style diet.

Anyone that could shed light on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks