Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cleardream

Do you ever feel like you're invisible to guys (or girls) when not wearing makeup?

But then if you put it on & cover up all the eruptions & redness, you get noticed? This happens to me all the time and it really kills me inside. Cuz it basically tells me that I'd be pretty If. Capital "I."

I feel like I have an ugly mask (pimply skin) on top of the beauty (my actual face, energy, personality, and features)... but then I have to use another, fake mask (makeup) for guys to see any natural beauty. I am so @%(#(^)#&[email protected] sick of acne!!!!!

(I posted this in Emotional & Psych Effects, but nobody's responding, so figured I'd try here; maybe they don't wear makeup...?)

But then if you put it on & cover up all the eruptions & redness, you get noticed? This happens to me all the time and it really kills me inside. Cuz it basically tells me that I'd be pretty If. Capital "I."

I feel like I have an ugly mask (pimply skin) on top of the beauty (my actual face, energy, personality, and features)... but then I have to use another, fake mask (makeup) for guys to see any natural beauty. I am so @%(#(^)#&[email protected] sick of acne!!!!!

(I posted this in Emotional & Psych Effects, but nobody's responding, so figured I'd try here; maybe they don't wear makeup...?)

I feel the same way. I wish I could wake up every morning without having to make a new face. :cry:

Hey remember me? Haha, I love when I bump into you on these boards since we both quit the CSR, are now trying less chemicals, and are both interested in Joppa. Anyways, guys are guys, a lot of them will take one look at a girl and decide right then and there if they're worth talking to. Jerks! *ahem* But then the cool ones, the ones worth a relationship with be it friend or boyfriend, will still (for instance) talk to you in class and help you with school assignments and not ignore you.

Acne sucks big time, but oneday it'll be gone and we won't need makeup. Man won't that be the day! Until then remember that almost every girl wears makeup in some way either for eyes, lips, or skin. At least you're not one of those girls with the heavy, thick, scary eye makeup. Imagine what they must look like at night! Plus with using makeup to cover acne, at least it's makeup for something that will oneday be there. Like oneday the bumps will be gone and so the makeup is only temporary, it's makeup for the 'natural' look. Whereas stuff like eyeshadow for instance, well, I don't think eyelids will ever be blue or pink.

Anyways, guys are guys, a lot of them will take one look at a girl and decide right then and there if they're worth talking to. Jerks! *ahem*

Im pretty sure girls works the same way. :|

Anyways, guys are guys, a lot of them will take one look at a girl and decide right then and there if they're worth talking to. Jerks! *ahem*

Im pretty sure girls works the same way. :|

Yep, and those girls are jerks too.

Uh, not really. Usually I'm the one who doesn't notice anything, but that's because I'm so damn blind that without my contacts, I can't see anthing 5 inches from my face. Forget about noticing other people noticing me, I won't even recognize my dog unless I trip over her.

Hey remember me? Haha, I love when I bump into you on these boards since we both quit the CSR, are now trying less chemicals, and are both interested in Joppa.
yesssssss i do remember you! and i feel the same way... i see you on the boards doing the same stuff as me and i grin. :D fewer chemicals rule!
Anyways, guys are guys, a lot of them will take one look at a girl and decide right then and there if they're worth talking to. Jerks! *ahem* But then the cool ones, the ones worth a relationship with be it friend or boyfriend, will still (for instance) talk to you in class and help you with school assignments and not ignore you.
yeah... this is true. it's weird not being in college anymore though, b/c the pool of guys to choose from is sooo much smaller, and it seems a lot tougher to even meet them in the first place. so the window of opportunity to "get noticed" is literally much smaller, and as a result, unfortunately, seems more based on looks (at least at first) than it once did.
Acne sucks big time, but oneday it'll be gone and we won't need makeup. Man won't that be the day!
i don't know... i'm starting to think ill be cursed with this stuff forever. my mom actually still gets (mild) breakouts, and she's 63! (i think Dan said his dad does too, and is even older than that.) :doh:
Until then remember that almost every girl wears makeup in some way either for eyes, lips, or skin.
actually, very few of my friends wear makeup. my sister almost never wears it. once in a while she dabs on a tiny, tiny smudge of lipstick with her finger, if she's going to a party or on a date or something. 3 out of the 4 other girls i work with don't wear any makeup (the last one slathers M.A.C. all over her eyes, lol). but i think out of the other 3, 2 of them wear lotion with SPF, and the last one doesn't wear sh*t! and certainly none of them have pizza faces like me. :doubt:
At least you're not one of those girls with the heavy, thick, scary eye makeup. Imagine what they must look like at night!
funny, on that tyra show i was quoting a few weeks ago, she removed all of her makeup on the show. of course, she was definitely still beautiful, but she looked like an entirely different person. almost unrecognizeable. it's amazing how every day she totally draws on her face and becomes tyra-in-makeup, a totally different face.

hope this reply didn't come off as too negative... i'm just seeing acne as more of something i'm going to have to manage my whole life, rather than cure. at 28, mine has been extraordinarily persistent for about 11 years. the most frustrating part being the scarring. i'm working on it, though... we'll see. :pray:

Yeah sadly there is no absolute cure for acne, but oneday it'll be managable to where we only get a small zit here and there and it'll barely bug us cuz we'll think back to these days. Heh. Keep moving forward I guess. =)

I know exactly how you feel !! :doubt: When i was in year 9 at high school i started wearing make-up properly tha whole shabang! I then decided to try an slowly stop using it which i eventualy did. And people didn't look at me tha same (they barely did at all) i'm not unatractive without makeup but unusual (hard to describe) i got a skin clearing thing called zynarete and it worked for about 9 months, people said tha golden words " you look nice, without make-up" and that felt nice, then my skin got immune and the acne came back fiercer than ever. and the make-up went back on. People looked at me differntly and i felt attractive again girls and boys at school noticed i was wearing it again! BUT like you i cant help but feel like i'm hiding under 2 masks acne and make-up! it £$%***^%$£ me of 2! :ninja:

I know exactly how you feel !! :doubt: When i was in year 9 at high school i started wearing make-up properly tha whole shabang! I then decided to try an slowly stop using it which i eventualy did. And people didn't look at me tha same (they barely did at all) i'm not unatractive without makeup but unusual (hard to describe) i got a skin clearing thing called zynarete and it worked for about 9 months, people said tha golden words " you look nice, without make-up" and that felt nice, then my skin got immune and the acne came back fiercer than ever. and the make-up went back on. People looked at me differntly and i felt attractive again girls and boys at school noticed i was wearing it again! BUT like you i cant help but feel like i'm hiding under 2 masks acne and make-up! it £$%***^%$£ me of 2! :ninja:

Tell me about it.

My face used to be awful. When I was 15, I had to put layers of maybelline foundation on. At the end of the day, it would slide off my face because of the grease. With my makeup on, I looked great, without, well, I had a spotty beard thing going on around my mouth :confused:

My skin's better now though. I'm 18 and hopefully I'm growing out of it. As long as I wear concealer and a bit of mascara, I look fine and attract attention now and then ;) don't give up. You're still at school, there's a good chance its going to get better. 'Typical' acne seems to clear up in your mid twenties. That's still crap, but at least we're not going to have this shit forever.

Don't forget, you look attractive with acne and makeup on - some people have clear skin and still don't look great. I know people who don't have acne, pile the makeup on, and yet they don't look particularly stunning(just orange lol) .

Yeah, I'm being superficial about all this - but it's an optimistic way of thinking.

Yup, I can totally relate. When I go to the gym (no make-up), no one would even know I was there. But then when I leave (after getting ready in the locker room) and people see me with make-up/hair done, they're shocked. I've had so many people tell me, "wow, you look so different! You look great!" Translation: you look like crap while working out but you sure clean up well. lol I wish I was fortunate enough to look "great" without makeup :(

Yup, I can totally relate. When I go to the gym (no make-up), no one would even know I was there. But then when I leave (after getting ready in the locker room) and people see me with make-up/hair done, they're shocked. I've had so many people tell me, "wow, you look so different! You look great!" Translation: you look like crap while working out but you sure clean up well. lol I wish I was fortunate enough to look "great" without makeup :(

omg, yes! that's always how i feel when i wear makeup. i almost NEVER wear anything but concealer/foundation (though i haven't worn any makeup whatsoever in weeks now). and i only use a teeeeeeny bit, and only where i need it, which is the chin & around the mouth. but when i do wear it, i can tell there's a difference in the "looking." and oh man, if i ever wear lipstick, and god forbid (almost never, nevvvvvvver do this...), eye makeup :o... i swear, i'll walk around and feel topless or something. (or maybe that's b/c the last time i had it on, the Laura Mercier MA had made me look like a prostitute? :lol: [or maybe i just thought that b/c i'm not used to wearing it at all... :think:]).

anyway... yes, this is exactly what i'm talking about; it's like your acne & scars ruin you, but "you sure clean up well." i hate that feeling.

i think it used to be the weirdest when i was living in the co-ops (like dorms) in school. if there was a party in our building or something, i would put on that teeny bit of concealer and a TEENY bit of lipstick. seriously, i was never into makeup until later, and didn't know what the hell i was doing. the way i did it was like... i'd dab it on my lips straight from the tube, super super gently, and then blot most of it off. and then rub my lips together. (so in the end, my lips were probably not pigmented from the lipstick, but just rosy from being irritated by the rubbing...lol) but that's all i would put on , and then go downstairs, and i'd get like... shocked faces. b/c these were people i saw every day, all the time (despite the acne, i used to be one of those "wash-my-face-and-go" girls [which i have been on and off, including in the past few weeks :)]). so i'd get a bunch of "wow, you look really different with makeup on!" ugh. :doubt:

funny, on that tyra show i was quoting a few weeks ago, she removed all of her makeup on the show. of course, she was definitely still beautiful, but she looked like an entirely different person. almost unrecognizeable. it's amazing how every day she totally draws on her face and becomes tyra-in-makeup, a totally different face.

my sister saw that Tyra show and kept telling me about it, how cool it was to see her without make-up...i wish i could have seen it.

oh, and when someone tells you that you look good, for me at least its all really like oh your MAKE-UP looks good

rosiemarie -- yep. that's why going without makes me feel free in its own way. and personality-wise, i think i'm more vibrant without it. anyone else feel that way?

rosiemarie -- yep. that's why going without makes me feel free in its own way. and personality-wise, i think i'm more vibrant without it. anyone else feel that way?

i look death-like (really wan) without some make-up lol...i go without make-up when i'm at home and not seeing many people. i dont wear tons anyway :)

my sister saw that Tyra show and kept telling me about it, how cool it was to see her without make-up...i wish i could have seen it.

oh, and when someone tells you that you look good, for me at least its all really like oh your MAKE-UP looks good

I loved that episode of the show. It was her 5 minute makeup routine, and you can find pics of that show and pics of Tyra without her makeup here.

Tell me about it.

My face used to be awful. When I was 15, I had to put layers of maybelline foundation on. At the end of the day, it would slide off my face because of the grease. With my makeup on, I looked great, without, well, I had a spotty beard thing going on around my mouth :confused:

My skin's better now though. I'm 18 and hopefully I'm growing out of it. As long as I wear concealer and a bit of mascara, I look fine and attract attention now and then ;) don't give up. You're still at school, there's a good chance its going to get better. 'Typical' acne seems to clear up in your mid twenties. That's still crap, but at least we're not going to have this shit forever.

Don't forget, you look attractive with acne and makeup on - some people have clear skin and still don't look great. I know people who don't have acne, pile the makeup on, and yet they don't look particularly stunning(just orange lol) .

Yeah, I'm being superficial about all this - but it's an optimistic way of thinking.

It feels somehow wrong for me to say this - but I wear make-up every single day. Every single day since I started to get acne when I was 14. I'm now 19. It can't be helping my skin, I don't actually use foundation that much - just eye make-up. But for me it's a catch 22 situation. If I wear make-up I feel just that little bit better about how I look, but yet it's a false mask. If I don't wear make-up outside the house, well it just doesn't happen with me. :/ Sounds vain etc, but where I live I just wouldn't be able to cope with the taunts, stares, pointing and everything else that goes with looking different.

But yet I hate it. Not being able to be the real me every day is just Grrrr! My sister always says "But you don't need to wear it, you look fine as you are." She doesn't have acne, infact she has really clear skin. It's also quite clear that what she's saying isn't true, but I keep quiet about that as I know she's only trying to help. It's so frustrating trying to get people to see why I hide behind the constant mask that I do. Although I do want rid of it. ><;

i know what you mean i have alot of scars left over from acne, really red marks on my face that look horrible unless i wear makeup. well my sis has clear skin, a nice creamy complexion, and she always tells me that i still look good or tells me that the marks are going away to make me feel better. but it sux having to wear makeup all the time, sometimes i wish i could just go outside without it on and be natural but that would be embarrasing

Sounds really bad but when I (hopefully) get rid of this goddamn acne, I'm going to have to ween myself off using make-up. I've used it for so long it's going to be hard for me to stop using it just like that. =P :shifty:

I have to put on foundation every single day. I've tried to go out without it on, or with it sheered out almost completely, but I just don't have the confidence (or the skin for that matter) to pull it off. I do it because it makes me feel better about myself, not for the opposite sex.

It's true about how you will get more attention with makeup on. It's the unfortunate truth. And for guys, the ones with clear skin will get more attention from girls. But would you really want attention from the kind of guys that would only acknowledge you with makeup on? Probably not. It's completely stupid that some of them will base their decision on wether or not they should get to know you on how you look. Wear makeup if you want to-for yourself- not for anybody else.

:( I wish people would just ignore me when i have no makeup on, then maybe i could go to the gym and get a decent workout in without having people stare at my red marks...

but i understand, i have been wearing makeup for the last 2 years every single day...there is not a person in my life who i let see me without it...how great it would be to jump out of bed in the morning, splash water on my face and leave my room, its not just about the time it takes to put it on, for me its the knowledge that i am presenting to the world a fake person. My boyfriend hasnt even seen me without makeup on...and until i have perfect skin,..it wont be happening, lol :)

omg, i always feel so awful if i go out without make-up on.... i feel ugly and awkward. my sister even at one time even told me that i looked totally different without it. speaking of tyra, she was on oprah a couple years ago, and i remember her saying that she had once been told she was a "make-up beauty," that only with make-up could she be truly beautiful. i feel this way about myself all the time, and we shouldn't.

one other thing i'm frustrated with..... since clearing up on the dkr, i've noticed i get approached a lot more than i did before. being from a city that already lacks in the men department (ask any other girl from portland, or, and she'll tell you the same,) it's frustrating that they would be so superficial.