Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
combatscars

Makeup and SCARS..?

i was wondering if makeup and scars go togather? i have quite a bit of scars of all kinds.. rolling scars, pitted scars, large pores.. u name it i have it.. sad.gif and i still have occasional breakouts.

Can anyone advise me on what gives a good coverage for mild to moderate scarring? What type of brand of cosmetics do ya use? I am a guy so it would have to give a natural finish.. and also non-comedogenic..

Is clinique a good brand? I was told their products are slightly medicated.

I really do not know if makeup can really help me to look better.. sad.gif can someone please advise.. i do not want to be told at the cosmetic counter that i cant be helped...

sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Unfortunately makeup doesn't really fill the scars very well. Makeup primarily covers discoloration such as hyperpigmentation. It would be fantastic if there were something that could actually "fill" scars but as of yet I haven't really found a product that does that successfully.

Lately I am using Laura Mercier oil-free foundation and pressed powder.

On occassion I use MAC Studio Fix.

The best thing I can suggest is for you to go to a department store and have a decent line do a makeover on you. See if you like the result of the makeover. If you like it then purchase it.

Regarding Clinique foundations: I used to use pore-minimizer but I don't use it anymore. I found that it was difficult to blend. I also tried one of their powder foundations and while I liked it, it seemed to make my skin really dry and flakey (and I have pretty oily skin)! But all makeups are different for each person, so just experiment. smile.gif

i walk right up to the clinique comestic counter on a busy sunday afternoon.. can u believed it? haha biggrin.gif/ although there are a few people who gave me the one eye up.. but who cares.. im indifferent biggrin.gif

ok.. i basically bought 2 items from the comestic girl (quite a sweetie O:) ) Pore minimizer and superfit makeup.. I was told to apply with my hands.. am i suppose to do that? OursFan, ya quite right, makeup doesnt really help with scars.. :-s i read the box it came in and it says moderate cover.. wondering if thats why it doesnt coverup that much of imperfections? eh.. Fan, when ya say 'pore minimizer is hard to blend', wat do ya mean? Do i have to blend with the foundation? cos i just put on the pore minimizer before the liquid foundation.. is that how it works? oh well.. hopefully no one will notice.. [-o<

Combatscars,

It's good that you are trying brands from a dept store...they take returns! biggrin.gif Once you settle on what you like, you may be able to find it cheaper on-line.

Personally, I really like philosophy's complete me. It's a mineral make-up. Very gentle and awesome coverage. I have some serious red marks and it totally covers them. It is a powder - there's a small learning curve on application. Here's a tip: for heavier coverage (which is what I believe you are after), apply the foundation while your face is still "dewey", but not wet, from your moisturizer. Apply it with a sponge (it comes whith a great one) and pat it on, then blend. Another perk is that is has an SPF of 15 built in. So, I don't use another sunscreen...you may choose to do both.

I believe Dillards, Foley's and like carry that line. I pay $30.00 for it at Drugstore.com...so that should be close to what the stores charge. Since I use alot of it, I go through 1 jar a month.

Hi Combatscars,

I would NOT recommend Adrien Arpel's "Hide a Line Putty"; she advertises it on HSN as a way to "spackel" scars, but it doesn't work at all. I have had some success with Dermablend, although pass on the setting powder--it's no different than any other powder except that it's way more expensive. Loreal's loose powder is just as good.

I cannot recommend highly enough Paula Begoun's "Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me." It's a huge reference book of just about every cosmetic product out there--the most recent edition came out last year, I think. She's very objective and says what works and what doesn't. She said nothing in Mederma would make it erase scars, and from what I've read, she's exactly right. Plus, she says what foundations and concealers could cause more blemishes and describes the level of coverage one can expect from these products. Her website is www.cosmeticscop.com. I think more than anything, it's a lot of trial and error as to what works for you personally. Good luck!! biggrin.gif

ok.. its flaky when i try putting it on, sometimes good.. sometimes i do the tape method to exfoliate but i still get flakes.. any better way to exfoliate? the problem is.. i have large pores on my cheeks.. it is very obvious closeup as the foundation gathers in those pores.. although im using pore minimizer.. it helps but it aint as good or im doing it wrong...

any tips on large pores? plus why does it gets powdery and flaky near the hairline?

hmm no harm trying out the colortration super concealing liquid makeup.. but will a heavy makeup makes it look unnatural? its worth a try though .. O:)

thnx for all the recommendations! i will have to try them in times ahead hehe biggrin.gif

If you are flaky please make sure to:

- exfoliate regularly

- moisturize your skin after exfoliating.

There are many ways of exfoliating. If the tape method is not working for you, here are some more things that you can try. Please only try one method at a time:

- Chemical peel such as lactic acid

- Mandelic acid

- diluted vinegar

these are a few

you can research them futher on the scar forum board.

For large pores, in addition to pore minimizers you can try foundation primers. I have heard that Cat Cosmetics makes a good one, also SmashBox.

A heavy makeup can look unnatural if:

- it is not well-blended

- it is not the same color as your skin

I too have pitted scars and rolling. I use Erno Lazlo Normalizer Shake-it (put Erno Lazlo in Yahoo and you'll find places that sell it). It's got a lot of water and alcohol and a mattifying ingredient. It comes in all kinds of shades. It really dries good and sinks into pores. I've tried EVERYTHING. I cannot use creamy foundation because it makes the pores look larger. Put it on, then give it a few seconds to dry and get a matte finish. Then take a make-up sponge (un-wetted) and just blend in a little. I also sometimes finish it off w/Maybelline Shine-Free foundation (Ivory or a light color). I pour a little in the bottle cap, take a tissue and pull off the end. I then tip the end into the foundation and dab slightly into the pore area. It's great for making you look less "holey." Try it, this is the only way I can wear foundation. Good luck. The Erno Lazlo is very sheer so being a guy you could get away w/it. You could dab the other holes slightly w/Maybelline Shine-Free and that would help once the Erno Lazlo has set in. Oh, one thing I forgot to mention. When the Erno Lazlo first arrives I sit the bottle upright and let the foundation settle into the bottom. Then you have a lot of water and alcohol above it. I pour some of the clear liquid into another container, this less-watery version works better for me. When I start running out of the liquid, I just add more in. Believe me, I've done all kinds of experimentation. Good luck! DJ

I use Clinique's "dewy smooth" foundation. It has awesome coverage, and will give you a more natural look. This may help with your scars... try a foundation primer before you apply your foundation, they are usually clear, so it won't add any color to your face, and they help a lot with filling in any lines (even pitted scars) the one I use is Smashbox Cosmetics foundation primer. You can find it online at www.smashbox.com or if you have a Sephora store near you, they also carry it there, even some Robinsons May and Nordstroms stores carry Smashbox. The only thing is its pretty expensive, $36 a bottle, but it works awesome! Good luck!

RUN - don't walk - to your nearest Sephora...

I am mixed ethnicity (caramel) skinned so my acne turns into hellish dark spots for months before healing...I tried all drugstore brands, came "close" in coloring, but no concealer worked well enough.

A close friend wisely pointed out I was spending enough trying to get it right at drugstores that I should spend the same or less at a quality one and sent me to MAC. They were 80% better in that they were 95% matching my skin tone but their sufficiently covering foundation/concealer either transferred onto everything (clothes/papers - embarassing as hell, afraid to hug loved ones) or sweated off (I'm active at my gym).

Finally I stumboled onto www.sephora.com, read some reviews and armed with products to look at walked into the closest mall with a Sephora inside (yeah, for Sephora you'll have to find an upscale Mall in your area...) I searched out the makeup artist with the best looking foundation and told her what I needed (good coverage easy foundation, eyeshadow primer, etc). She hooked me up - comes in a zillion colors and after a 37 year search, I find my PERFECT SKIN COLOR MATCH!!! :clap::dance: Pigs fly! This is more miraculous than a minority being sworn in as the President of the United States. ;)

P.s. It doesn't clog my pores (actually fills and evens them out), negate my acne regimen and controls oil on my T zone.

Lemme know how it goes..msg me if questions...I'll eventually post pics. GL!

RUN - don't walk - to your nearest Sephora...

I am mixed ethnicity (caramel) skinned so my acne turns into hellish dark spots for months before healing...I tried all drugstore brands, came "close" in coloring, but no concealer worked well enough.

A close friend wisely pointed out I was spending enough trying to get it right at drugstores that I should spend the same or less at a quality one and sent me to MAC. They were 80% better in that they were 95% matching my skin tone but their sufficiently covering foundation/concealer either transferred onto everything (clothes/papers - embarassing as hell, afraid to hug loved ones) or sweated off (I'm active at my gym).

Finally I stumboled onto www.sephora.com, read some reviews and armed with products to look at walked into the closest mall with a Sephora inside (yeah, for Sephora you'll have to find an upscale Mall in your area...) I searched out the makeup artist with the best looking foundation and told her what I needed (good coverage easy foundation, eyeshadow primer, etc). She hooked me up - comes in a zillion colors and after a 37 year search, I find my PERFECT SKIN COLOR MATCH!!! :clap::dance: Pigs fly! This is more miraculous than a minority being sworn in as the President of the United States. ;)

P.s. It doesn't clog my pores (actually fills and evens them out), negate my acne regimen and controls oil on my T zone.

Lemme know how it goes..msg me if questions...I'll eventually post pics. GL!

Sorry, the link is here: