Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
libbycopeland

Adding retin-A into CSR?

OK, so CSR is working for me, but there is nothing in the regimen to prevent or reverse signs of aging.

I would like to add Retin - A or a retinaldyhide to the mix, without jeopardizing the effectiveness of CSR.

Advice? Does anyone do this successfully?

OK, so CSR is working for me, but there is nothing in the regimen to prevent or reverse signs of aging.

I would like to add Retin - A or a retinaldyhide to the mix, without jeopardizing the effectiveness of CSR.

Advice? Does anyone do this successfully?

The CSR can be built up with Retin - A. I don't know what retinaldyhide is, but its probably a topical tretinoin of some sort.

You can also add as an alternative glyceric acid - also good for the pimples and wrinkles. Glyceric acid and retin A work essentially in the same way, but retin A is more effective for acne.

Retin A should be used at night. You must wash preferably with some sort of salcyclic acid 2% wash before and after application of retin A. Why? Because retin A works by ridding/breaking down your skin of dead skin cells and loosening black and white heads and pimples (anticomedonal agent) and salcyclic acid works by ridding your skin of the glue that holds dead skin cells on and somewhat dissolves black and white heads and pimples (comedolytic effect). They work good together some people can't cope and have too much irritation.

Check out combination therapies for acne.

Benzol peroxide - rids the skin of p-acne bacteria

Retin A - rids the skin of dead skin cells

Salcyclic acid - rids the skin of the glue holding cells together

Anti inflammatory - reduces the inflammation. But I didn't find it necessary with all the other stuff.

So you can subsitute retin A for glycolic acid 10-15% (or adalphene). Likewise benzol peroxide can be substituted with a topical anitbiotic and salcyclic acid with ...

Together they can be quite powerful if used in the correct manner.

Note:

The combination of benzoyl peroxide in the morning and tretinoin or adapalene at night may be used when either agent alone fails. Irritation potential is also additive.

Mild comedolytic effect can be achieved by use of products containing salicylic acid 2%.

Removal of comedones with a comedone extractor by the patient or careprovider accelerates clearing. Topical anticomedonal agents, especially tretinoin, loosen comedones, enhancing their removal.

http://www.derm101.com/public/freesamples/wintroub002.html

I keep quoting the same site, but I actually got my regimen from a few journal articles on combination therapy, this site just has a summary.

I probably said more than you wanted to know, but it's so hard to make choices if you don't know all this.

Hope it helps.