Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AEO

Going to Start CSR!

Hi,

I just found Acne.com and Dan's CSR. I am a 32 year old mother of 1, and happily married. I have had acne problems since I was a teenager - probably since I was about 14 years old. When I was about 23 I finally went to a dermatologist for the 1st time ever (my mother would never take me to one when I was younger) and he put me on tetracycline and Differin gel. I stayed on tetra. and differin for about 6 years. In all, I'd say they worked together OK, but I still got the occasional "Volcano Zit From Hell" and of course, always at the wrong time (family pictures, big date night, or New Yaer's Eve or something like that). I think it is important here to say that during much of this time, I was also on Depo-Provera as a form of birth control, so I did not menstruate at all for this timeframe.

In 2002 I was married and my hubby & I knew we wanted to have children. The tetracycline is not recommended for pregnant women, as it can affect the development of babies bones in utero, so I stopped taking this and the Depo at about the same time.

Pregnancy, loss of my years-long acne regimen and no more hormones in my system (except the raging ones from creating a child) made my skin none too pretty. But, I did expect it. That said, after I had my son, I went back on Depo and things were Ok for a little while.

About 2 years ago, I switched my birth control from Depo to an IUD in order to come off of all hormones. Since then, my acne has gotten progressively worse. I have wanted to go back on the tetracycline, but knowing that we may conceive another child keeps me from doing so.

I now menstruate regularly (something I never did before or during Depo, if at all) and I have charted my period along with my acne breakouts. They pretty much go hand in hand. So, I have an appt. with a new derm. next Wednesday. But, in the meantime, my skin is a horrid mess. I do pick, and I know that I have to stop this as it is wreaking havoc on my skins for much longer than the life of the pimple.

In just finding this site, I am off to the drugstore before picking up my son from preschool to buy some BP and a gentle cleanser and moisturizer. I had most recently been using AcneFree, which at first seemed to help, but then I just went back to the increasingly worse breakouts that have been plaguing my face for the past 2 months.

I know, 2 months!? I always have some sort of pimple, but I can usually deal with them and cover them well. But my lastest breakouts have been so bad that I don't even like to leave the house. Add an increasing problem of excema on my hands and around my eyes (or so I'll find out from the derm) and it is a recipe for social disaster. I have a girl's night out tomorrow night and I find myself wishing I wasn't going.

Anyway, I have one picture of my face today. [attachmentid=6331] I'll try to post as I go along with using the CSR.

I look forward to chatting with some of you and hearing lots of successful stories about CSR.

Adriane

post-48627-1161028630_thumb.jpg

post-48627-1161028630_thumb.jpg

I just wanted to add: after I posted, I re-read the labels on my AcneFree products and realized that the BP is in both the cleanser and the topical cream. I decided that since I only have a small amount left, I'll use the cleanser and the BP (3.7% so not too far from Dan's recommended 2.5%) until it is gone and then buy something gentler for continuing with the CSR. Does anyone have thoughts or input on doing this?

Adriane

Well, it's day 2 and boy is my face dry. But it isn't so bad - right now I am just using the AnceFree BP and cleanser and then I use my Herbalife Skin Activator Moisturizer which I has always loved. I have a tendency to get very dry flaky skin around the outside crevices of my nose and under my eyes, so I am trying to double up on the moisturizer in those areas.

Today the red marks aren't any better, but my active blemishes have gotten better. I partly think that is b/c my period is about over.

I took a couple of different pictures yesterday b/c after I looked at the one I posted before I almost felt as though I shouldn't be complaining about my skin. I hope no one takes offense to that, but I know a lot of people on this site have serious acne problems and I feel like I should keep my mouth shut. But I also think that everyone's acne is a personal issue and battle and when anyone's acne gets worse, it is a serious blow to one's self-esteem, so I am trying this CSR and hoping that while I do so I can discuss it with people who understand the process and the agony of needing to be clear.

I took a couple of other pictures that better show the marks on my face:

[attachmentid=6373] [attachmentid=6372] [attachmentid=6374]

Adriane

post-48627-1161110504_thumb.jpg

post-48627-1161110524_thumb.jpg

post-48627-1161110538_thumb.jpg

post-48627-1161110504_thumb.jpg

post-48627-1161110524_thumb.jpg

post-48627-1161110538_thumb.jpg

Hi Adriane! Just wanted to say welcome, I'm pretty new here myself, two weeks into my CSR. Your skin is definitely better than a lot of the others passing through here, but do what will make you feel 100%. If you are really dry, try using just the AcneFree cleanser in the AM and the topical cream PM. I started off reEAlly slowly and I think my skin is better for it so be patient and you will get results! Good luck! :D

Day 4: I have to say this 'gentle' thing is hard to do! After years of scrubbing my face (often only using my favorite blemish-control apricot scrub and just going at my face like sandpaper) and drying my face "harshly" it is really hard to remember to always be so gentle. My skin definitely moves when I wash and apply BP, but not too much - it's as light as I can do it! I also keep thinking I am going to forget to moisturize after waiting 15 minutes for the BP to really finishing absorbing - NOT! How can you forget to moisturize when you feel like your face has gotten as hard as magic shell ice cream topping! I feel like my cheeks might crack and fall off LOL.

Anyway, not too much change for my skin - I even have a new zit emerging. Joy. <_< I just bought the Cetaphil moisturizer and I think I like it better than my Herbalife stuff (and at $40 a pop for that, I'm glad to switch to Cetaphil).

Golthie (sp?) thanks for the recommendation for how to use my AcneFree stuff - it is a good idea. I might start doing that and when it is all gone I'll get a tube of Dan's BP and buy the Cetaphil cleanser (I got a sample with the moisturizer and I use it to wash my face in the shower).

That's all form me for now. Hope to hear from more of you!

A

Hi Adriane,

I started the CSR a day after you so it looks like our journeys to clear skin will be close together :D

I understand what you mean about feeling guilty when you only have a few pimples to worry about, at most I get 4-5 and have some skin-colored bumps here and there. Im hoping to get rid of the old faded acne marks i still have too. I dont think there's anything wrong with wanting beautiful clear skin though :gimme: Good luck with the Cetaphil moisturizer, I personally find it REALLY heavy and greasy but I have an oily skin type so maybe that's why. Im using Dove Deep Moisture Facial lotion and it's been working really well for me.

Hi and welcome!

Just wanted to wish you good luck with the Regimen.

Being gentle is hard, it took me awhile to get out of that mindset that acne had to be scrubbed away. But the truth is, being harsh and scrubbing with scrubby cleansers and stuff actually can create more acne. Gentleness is a huge part of the Regimen!

Holler if you need any help!

Day 10:

I just cancelled my derm. appt! Well, partly b/c I am sick, but also b/c I have nothing to show them! Of course, that always seems to happen to me when I make a derm. appt - whatever eruption I'm having or excema that's killing my hands totally clears up, so they don't see the worst of my problems! Argh! BUT, I've noticed not only a HUGE improvement in my skin/acne, but I think the cetaphil I'm using is helping the excema on my hands! Double Bonus!

I've stuck to using the AcneFree products - in fact I just bought more b/c I am almost out and I couldn't find 2.5% BP in the store. I know I could buy Dan's BP, but we're leaving in 10 days to go to Antigua and I needed something right away so I don't run out while on vaca.

I have told two friends about CSR and I hope they try it, too. I am amazed at the results - I've never had smoother skin! The red marks/scars aren't going away as much as I'd like, but they're easy to cover up now that they aren't bumpy.

I'll post again in a few days to let you know whether I've jinxed myself for writing all of this!