Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Momto3

Cortisone Injections -- Pain!

Out of shear frustration and with no other hope in sight, I have subjected myself to several cortisone injections to "solve" a nasty cyst outbreak. The last time I had an injection I nearly passed out from the pain - seriously. It was so bad that despite a very nasty outbreak I'm currently walking around with, I simply cannot go back for another injection. Has anybody figured out someway of minimizing the pain of an injection? They haven't always been quite so bad. When you opt for a cyst instead of an injection, it has to be REALLY bad :(

Shelly

Hi, I've head many injections and not much pain for more than a few seconds. Depending on which part of the face the injection is going, my derm will put a little ice pack on the area for a few seconds before injection. Some areas of my face are a little more sensitive (around the hairline,etc)

If your derm doesn't do icepacks - perhaps you could bring one of those packs that come in a first aid kit that you snap and they turn cold? You know what I'm talking about? It would be hard to bring real ice with you to your appointment obviously.

Also if you take an advil or an aleve before going to your appt that might help.

Today I had my 1st injection from my family doctor and while it hurt a little, it wasn't all that bad. I just hope it helps. My shot was on the side of my nose, so talk about sensitive!

how long does it typiclaly take for a cyst to die down and should I use ice on the afflicted area tonight?

Today I had my 1st injection from my family doctor and while it hurt a little, it wasn't all that bad. I just hope it helps. My shot was on the side of my nose, so talk about sensitive!

how long does it typiclaly take for a cyst to die down and should I use ice on the afflicted area tonight?

1-3 days usually, they don't hurt that bad, id take an injection over a cyst.

I always took an advil before getting an injection. Never had pain before, but just in case.

Are you serious?? Yeah, its a little painful..but nothing worth whining about! I've been getting these injections since I was 15 and I've never even moaned! You really need to suck it up.. I think most people would take a little pin prick over a cyst any day...

"Suck it up". Thanks Scylla. That was useful information...not. Having delivered a couple babies au natural I think I likely have one up on you on the pain-o-metre scale ;)

Aren't we suppose to be here to help each other? Thought that was the point of the board.

Shelly

hey, i know they hurt. But in this case--pain really means gain. just rest on that thought and go for the shots. liek jordan said, you will say "its nothing" after you see all the cysts flattened, and you will be so happy! =)

if it hurts that bad maybe theres something wrong?

especially knowing how poppin out a couple kids the natural way feels.. deff ouch.

maybe next time u need a injection , try a different derm and see how it goes?

Out of shear frustration and with no other hope in sight, I have subjected myself to several cortisone injections to "solve" a nasty cyst outbreak. The last time I had an injection I nearly passed out from the pain - seriously. It was so bad that despite a very nasty outbreak I'm currently walking around with, I simply cannot go back for another injection. Has anybody figured out someway of minimizing the pain of an injection? They haven't always been quite so bad. When you opt for a cyst instead of an injection, it has to be REALLY bad :(

Shelly

lol. when a cyst is all inflamed, yes it hurts, but i don't think it hurts THAT bad, really. everyone has a different threshold for pain. personally, i think the pain for 10-15 seconds is well worth the disappearance of a cyst within 48 hours.

haha...I like how some people are trying to tell you how much you're supposed to hurt or not hurt :geek:

Wow, sometimes if you have a cyst that's right near a nerve, and that's where the injection site is, it's enough to send a person through the ceiling!! I've had some really sensitive zits near my mouth that make my eyes water at the mere touch of them, they're so sensititve. The ice pack advice is very smart! They also make a numbing cream, the name of which escapes me right now, but it can reduce pain during laser hair removal. Ask the doc next time - no need to suffer!

By the time you can feel it, the needle is no longer in your skin. So suck it up. Think about how much better you'll look when the cyst dies.

LIDOCAINE!! That's the active ingredient in the numbing cream!! I still can't remember the brand name of the cream, but I'm sure there are many brands. You do have to get a prescription for it though.

But then again, what are you whining about? It doesn't hurt that bad. :lol:

Good luck Shelly!

Thanks to those of you with actual advise. Much appreciated. I did have two more injections this week and didn't even feel them. So, whomever indicated that maybe the past ones were on/near a nerve might have the answer -- well done :clap: However, I will definately consider the ice or leidocane (sp?) in the future.

Thanks again.

Guest tomblot88

I am thinking of getting one for these swollen oil glands on my nost

they suck :( I have had them forever

I used to get 15-20 injections in my face every 2 weeks for a course of 4 months, so probably about 120 for me.