Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chance11

General MD ok for giving shots of cortisone?

Has anyone gotten a cortisone shot from a family MD? I have a wedding this weekend and I woke up this morning with a huge cyst on the side of my nose, near my eye. My dermatologist is out of town and noone else will see me.

How long does it take to work with a shot?

I am 36 years old...when will this stop?

Sugar does it to me every time!!

Depending on the size, it can take anywhere from 2-4 days to work completely. I've heard of people getting shots from family MDs. Just be sure to tell them your situation (you already have a derm). Use a hot compress after you get your shot. It will definitely speed up the process and make it smaller within a few hours.

Thanks for the feedback!! It feels a LOT better today, hoping I will continue to see it get better. Sugar prompted this, I know for a fact.

Thanks for the feedback!! It feels a LOT better today, hoping I will continue to see it get better. Sugar prompted this, I know for a fact.

I've had general MDs give me shots. Some are familiar with the routine already. Some walk in clinics have people who can do them, it's worth a call. It might even be worth grooming with your general MD next time you see him/her (see my description of how I did it once).

One time I talked a general MD into giving me one. She'd never done one. I happen to be an RN, but anyone who's had one and studies up on it a tiny bit would be able to verbally tell her what was done and how, and she looked it up in her little spiral bound clinical guide (very common, MDs use this sort of thing more than you think!). It's a simple process of drawing up the med, diluting it properly and doing an intralesional injection, which is the same technique as dong a sub-dermal injection like for a TB test. All MDs, PAs and RNs know this technique, its just a matter of applying it to this particular med and situation. Frankly, I think any RN could do it with direction and support from any MD. PAs or Nurse Practitioners can easily do it as a routine skill - in fact some derms. use NPs or PAs all the time. It's just not technically all that difficult.

One time when I was getting sick of the mild embarassment and hassle of going in to my derm. for injections (my derm will fit me in on the day I call), I was trying to figure out how I could get ahold of a vial of the cortisone to do my own self-injections! Like i said, the proper technique is easy and the dosage is readily available, so I felt I could do it if I could get the "kit" and stand the pain (which to me is really NBD).

Zoilo, good information. When I was traveling I needed get a shot and I found a derm in the town I was staying. The derm already left for the day so the PA (physcian's assistant) did the shot and did a great job.

Next time you go to your general practitioner, you should as him/her if they have experience giving cortisone shots.

Zoilo, good information. When I was traveling I needed get a shot and I found a derm in the town I was staying. The derm already left for the day so the PA (physcian's assistant) did the shot and did a great job.

Next time you go to your general practitioner, you should as him/her if they have experience giving cortisone shots.

I've done this two or three times as well. In a different town for business, weddings, etc. One starts up. I can tell it's going to be "significant', often at a very early stage before it's even visible. I go to the yellow pages under dermatology and just start calling around until I can find one to fit me in for an injection - I sure let them know how important it is. You can almost always find someone who can eitehr fit you in just on general principles or who has had a cancellation. I almost always just pay cash in this case.

Good information! this happened to me today. i had a big bump and needed help. i called my derm and they had a cancellation...but the derm didn't do it, they just had the nurse practioner do it. she tells me it's so common and that she does hundreds a week! LOL

Good information! this happened to me today. i had a big bump and needed help. i called my derm and they had a cancellation...but the derm didn't do it, they just had the nurse practioner do it. she tells me it's so common and that she does hundreds a week! LOL

Hellokittygirl: Boy, if my dermatologist had a mid-level practitioner (NP or PA) working for him/her, I'd definitely talk directly to that person and ask if you could establish a relationship with him/her to be able to walk in on short notice whenever necessary - suggest first thing, last thing, etc. Mid-levels are often able to be more flexible. She obviously understands the situation and how quick that sort of 'injection-only' appointment can be and how easy it could be to fit it in on short notice.

Ever since I had cytic acne and had it treated by a general MD I really don't trust them. Despite me asking for a referral to a derm (he barely answered me when I asked him and never sent me until it was too late) he tried to treat it with antibiotics alone. Big mistake. The result was lots of scars. MD's training is just to general to treat cystic acne. Only a derm should be doing this stuff. Had this happened to my now that I am older I would have sued his ass back to the stone age.

Hellokittygirl: Boy, if my dermatologist had a mid-level practitioner (NP or PA) working for him/her, I'd definitely talk directly to that person and ask if you could establish a relationship with him/her to be able to walk in on short notice whenever necessary - suggest first thing, last thing, etc. Mid-levels are often able to be more flexible. She obviously understands the situation and how quick that sort of 'injection-only' appointment can be and how easy it could be to fit it in on short notice.

Guest ANajmi85

I would think they know how it reacts because cortisone isn't acne-specific...but they don't know about skin conditions and acne, so I'd stick with a dermatologist.