Clear all

BREWER'S YEAST

MemberMember
(@case-n)

Posted : 10/15/2006 9:43 pm

BREWER'S YEAST (Updated 1/28/2007)

What is Brewer's Yeast?

Brewer's yeast is derived from the unicellular fungus Saccharomyces Cerevisiae

Brewer's yeast is an inactive yeast, meaning the yeasts have been killed and have no leavening power. It is the yeast grown on foods such as sugar beets, or the yeast that remains after beer making. It is used as a nutrient supplement to increase the intake of amino acids, minerals, B vitamins, and other chemicals beneficial to skin repair. Brewer's yeast comes powdered (the most potent form), in flakes (best for health shakes), and in tablets.

How Can Brewer's Yeast Be Good For Acne And Overall Health?

1. Skin Respiratory Factor

SRF as it's called is a substance known for it's ability to trigger and accelerate wound healing. It is found in many hemorrhoidal creams, cosmetics, and wound healing products. The chemical identity of SRF is unknown. SRF found in products is originally isolated from yeast.

2. Beta Glucans

Beta glucan is a scientifically proven biological defense modifier (BDM) that nutritionally potentiates and modulates the immune response. Beta glucans are fiber type complex sugar molecules (polysaccharides). They are used as an immunostimulant. Glucans stimulate your white blood cells called Macrophages into action, thereby inducing a cascade of positive immune responses. There have been hundreds of experimental studies done on Beta Glucans since the 1960's. Reserch indicates that when taken orally Beta Glucans speed healing of damaged tissue. In order to better understand the process through which Beta Glucans brings about a healing response via pathogen removal it is necessary to read more about Macrophage. Macrophage wiki located here.......... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrophage

3. RNA - Ribonucleic Acid

RNA has been shown to have immunodulatory Activity.

Definition of Immunomodulatory:

Capable of modifying or regulating one or more immune functions.

Although this is mentioned in much research I have come across regarding Brewer's Yeast, I have yet to come to a more complete understanding of how injesting RNA of this inactive yeast is beneficial to health or skin. I am including it because from it's prevalence in research indicates it's importance, thus should be noted. If someone wants to elaborate on this please IM me and I will edit this post accordingly.

4. Myo-Inositol

This is the nutritionally active form of Inositol, it is vital to many biological processes in the body. Of all the biological processes Inositol is involved in, the most notable to this article are

- Nerve Guidance

- Gene Expression

- Seratonin Activity Modulation

- Cell Membrance Potential

- Breakdown Of Fats and Cholesterol Lowering

5. Para-Amino Benzoic Acid

PABA stimulates intestinal bacteria, which aids in production of pantothenic acid (vitamin B5). PABA is a coenzyme and is involved in the production of blood cells, metabolism of protein, and is important for healthy skin, hair pigmentation, and intestinal health.

NOTE: There is A LOT of information on PABA on the internet, mostly good, but some bad. Generally speaking PABA is widely studied and used in products. It is sometimes referred to as vitamin Bx but differs in how it behaves from other B vitamins. If someone wants to write a paragraph detailing the specifics of PABA IM me and I will include it.

6. Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5)

Brewer's Yeast is considered a good source of this vitamin that many of you have come to know and love. Pantothenic Acid is needed to form Coenzyme A, which is critical in the metabolisation of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. The most noted effect as reported on Acne.org of this vitamin is reduced oil (sebum) production on the body including face, trunk, and especially the back. This effect is almost always reported after a person has taken extremely large doses (more than 4 grams) daily for 1 month or more.

7. Zinc

Brewer's Yeast is considered a good source of Zinc (form?). The benefits of Zinc on skin are widely known and many studies have been conducted proving the link between increased levels of Zinc and improved skin conditions, namely acne vulgaris.

8. Choline

Choline is a nutrient, essential for cardiovascular and brain function, and for cellular membrane composition and repair.

Choline assists in controlling your weight as well as cholesterol levels, keeping cell membranes healthy and in preventing gallstones. It is also most useful in the maintenance of the nervous system, assisting memory and learning, and may help to fight infections, including hepatitis and AIDS. Choline is critical for normal membrane structure and function.

Choline is the major precursor of betaine, and it is used by the kidneys to maintain water balance and by the liver as a source of methyl-groups for methionine formation. It is also used to produce the important neurotransmitter acetylcholine.

9. Folic Acid

Folic acid is a water soluble B vitamin.

Folic acid works along with vitamin B-12 and vitamin C to help the body digest and utilize proteins and to synthesize new proteins when they are needed. It is necessary for the production of red blood cells and for the synthesis of DNA (which controls heredity and is used to guide the cell in its daily activities).

Folic acid also helps with tissue growth and cell function. In addition, it helps to increase appetite when needed and stimulates the formation of digestive acids.

10. Copper

Copper is an essential trace mineral present in all body tissues. Copper, along with iron, helps in the formation of red blood cells. It also helps in keeping the blood vessels, nerves, immune system, and bones healthy.

Copper is a component of prolyl and lysyl hydoxylases, enzymes involved in collagen synthesis. Because of this, connective tissue-rich tissues such as capillaries, scar tissue, and bone matrix are most sensitive to copper status.

The following is a list of other vitamins and minerals Brewer's Yeast contains in significant amounts but vary from Brand to Brand.

FIBER (15%-25%)

ALL B-COMPLEX VITAMINS

16 out of 20 Amino Acids (Brewer's Yeast is 50%-55% protein by weight)

Chromium

Selenium

Magnesium

Phosphorus

General information

Thousands of people have reported success in using Brewer's Yeast to treat all forms of acne, especially cystic acne. Poeple who are allergic to yeast or have an extreme sensitivity should should consult a doctor before taking. It is very common to have an IB (initial breakout) in the first two weeks.

This yeast has been used for decades to treat almost every known ailment. It is very affordable and can be taken with or without food. I have found the powder to be a more potent form. I buy the powder form from Lewis Lab's. It's is a higher quality because it is grown on sugar beets, also lending to a good taste rather than bitter like the kind grown on beer.

Although this is yeast it's important to know that it will not promote candida or other yeast infections because the cells have been heated until dead, thus unless you have an allergy it will not cause you harm.

BREWER'S YEAST IS GLUTEN AND IODINE FREE.

note: the brand this article represents most is Lewis Labs Brewer's Yeast

MemberMember
(@lalalala0112)

Posted : 10/15/2006 11:51 pm

Thats way too long to read

MemberMember
(@case-n)

Posted : 10/15/2006 11:59 pm

With one short sentence we now know the root of all your problems. Good job.

MemberMember
(@fuzion)

Posted : 10/16/2006 1:52 am

Damn!

MemberMember
(@luckyman)

Posted : 10/16/2006 5:52 am

It tastes nice, kind of like gravy, but everytime i eat it, it makes me sick to my stomach.

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 10/16/2006 8:59 am

I find that statement about how some brands of brewer's yeast contain ZERO chromium and some contain only trace amounts to be rather odd. Brewer's yeast is generally considered to be an outstanding source of biologically available chromium. I can't imagine why some brands would have only negligible amounts.

Bryan

MemberMember
(@case-n)

Posted : 10/16/2006 9:06 am

I find that statement about how some brands of brewer's yeast contain ZERO chromium and some contain only trace amounts to be rather odd. Brewer's yeast is generally considered to be an outstanding source of biologically available chromium. I can't imagine why some brands would have only negligible amounts.

Bryan

I find it odd myself. I have no clue how or why they would remove it. But I only wanted to repoort what I had gathered from a couple dozen sources. Some sources say be careful because it's commonly believed to be a great source of Chrmoium, but some brands have none. The same sources say the same thing about Selenium content of Brewer's Yeast as well.

In addition to those two oddities, I have determined there isn't a really good source listing ALL the contents of Brewer's Yeast. It would be nice to also know the quantities as well but not a single source I found reported on that.

Either way I'm getting clear (again after latest breakout) on Brewer's Yeast alone currently.

MemberMember
(@oceanmist)

Posted : 10/16/2006 10:01 am

my naturopathic doctor told me that i have a chromium defenciency. and i know myself that my skin has a slow healing rate. brewer's yeast is an excellent source of chromium (so is molasses). i have yet to try it out... dont know if i will cuz i recently spent so much $$ on other supplements that are having neg/pos effects so im a little weary. i am trying to just eat more chromium rich foods naturally.

thanks for posting anyways.

MemberMember
(@cheaptricky)

Posted : 10/16/2006 10:03 am

Good luck with that acne there, ItsMrPants!

MemberMember
(@necromancer)

Posted : 10/16/2006 10:25 am

Damn!

Domination from casenickles. I like that. This problem is probably shared by many others on this site. Case closed.

MemberMember
(@fil)

Posted : 10/16/2006 1:00 pm

I started taking pills 6 days ago, and I had a breakout. Does this look good:

per day:

- Vit B1 : 0.86mg 61,4%

- Vit B2: 0.29mg 18.1%

- Vit B3: 2.66mg 14.8%

- Vit B5: 0.25mg 4.2%

- Vit B6: 0.29mg 14.5%

- folic acid: 144AAg 72%

- biotin: 0.011mg 7.3%

This is the recommended dosage (18pills per day). So I take 7.2 grams of pills each day. Should I higher this?

MemberMember
(@luckyman)

Posted : 10/16/2006 1:14 pm

18 pills a day is ridiculous.

MemberMember
(@case-n)

Posted : 10/16/2006 1:27 pm

I started taking pills 6 days ago, and I had a breakout. Does this look good:

per day:

- Vit B1 : 0.86mg 61,4%

- Vit B2: 0.29mg 18.1%

- Vit B3: 2.66mg 14.8%

- Vit B5: 0.25mg 4.2%

- Vit B6: 0.29mg 14.5%

- folic acid: 144Ag 72%

- biotin: 0.011mg 7.3%

This is the recommended dosage (18pills per day). So I take 7.2 grams of pills each day. Should I higher this?

Are you taking Brewer's Yeast, or are these figures coming from a B-Complex supplement?

18 pills a day is ridiculous.

In what sense, because it's a number you don't like?

Are you afraid of pills that come in 18's?

18 pills a day is just fine depending on what is being taken.

MemberMember
(@luckyman)

Posted : 10/16/2006 1:48 pm

If you need to supplement to such an extend the word "supplement" becomes a misnomer. No-one needs supplements, they may make life easier if for example you have an iron deficency and would rather take iron supplements than eat iron rich foods then that's your perogative, but taking 18 pills "just because" is ridiculous, why is 18 just fine? what about 30, 50, 80? what would you define as ridiculous? Is it "just fine" to take 80 pills a day depending on what's being taken? anyone taking 18 pills a day needs a wake up call. and if you think its "just fine" so do you.

(obviously if you have a specific condition which requires...)

MemberMember
(@fil)

Posted : 10/16/2006 2:43 pm

It's 100% pure brewer's yeast

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 10/17/2006 12:39 am

It tastes nice, kind of like gravy, but everytime i eat it, it makes me sick to my stomach.

B vitamins do that when you take them on an empty stomach.

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 10/17/2006 1:04 am

I find it odd myself. I have no clue how or why they would remove it. But I only wanted to repoort what I had gathered from a couple dozen sources. Some sources say be careful because it's commonly believed to be a great source of Chrmoium, but some brands have none.

Can you post the source(s) that made such a claim? I looked at that one link you provided in your original post, but I didn't see any such claim about negligible levels of chromium in some brands of brewer's yeast. I'd like to get to the bottom of that.

In addition to those two oddities, I have determined there isn't a really good source listing ALL the contents of Brewer's Yeast. It would be nice to also know the quantities as well but not a single source I found reported on that.

That doesn't surprise me in the least, because there ISN'T any one single brewer's yeast. There's a whole bunch of different brewer's yeasts, in the sense that the way the stuff is grown can profoundly affect the levels of B vitamins it contains. So there's no single authoritative list of "quantities" that can be published for brewer's yeast in general.

Bryan

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 10/17/2006 1:15 am

If you need to supplement to such an extend the word "supplement" becomes a misnomer. No-one needs supplements, they may make life easier if for example you have an iron deficency and would rather take iron supplements than eat iron rich foods then that's your perogative, but taking 18 pills "just because" is ridiculous, why is 18 just fine?

Why is taking 18 pills supposedly BAD, according to your way of thinking? My guess is that that's around a teaspoon. Are you objecting to taking a teaspoon of brewer's yeast per se, or are you objecting to taking a teaspoon of brewer's yeast IN PILL FORM? Why haven't you clarified exactly what it is you're trying to say?

Bryan

MemberMember
(@luckyman)

Posted : 10/17/2006 5:53 am

If you need to supplement to such an extend the word "supplement" becomes a misnomer. No-one needs supplements, they may make life easier if for example you have an iron deficency and would rather take iron supplements than eat iron rich foods then that's your perogative, but taking 18 pills "just because" is ridiculous, why is 18 just fine?

Why is taking 18 pills supposedly BAD, according to your way of thinking? My guess is that that's around a teaspoon. Are you objecting to taking a teaspoon of brewer's yeast per se, or are you objecting to taking a teaspoon of brewer's yeast IN PILL FORM? Why haven't you clarified exactly what it is you're trying to say?

Bryan

I think its pretty clear what im saying.

Taking brewers yeast would be one of the least worrying of pill supplements as it is widely accepted to be perfectly safe, but its not the content of the pills (in this case) that i object to, its the way people are so blase about taking pills in general, there seems to be scores of people who think (taking it to the extreme) they can just eat flour and take a pill for everything else they need, a pill for fibre, a pill for vitamin a, a pill for zinc and so on... 18 pills is ridiculous whatever's in them, be it brewer's yeast or pure water.

MemberMember
(@bryan)

Posted : 10/17/2006 7:24 am

Oh, ok: eating 18 pills is "ridiculous", simply because you're not used to the idea. Whatever.

Personally, I couldn't care less what form a food is in, as long as it's eaten. I don't care if it's in a pill, a capsule, or sculptured into a likeness of George W. Bush! :D

Bryan

MemberMember
(@case-n)

Posted : 10/24/2006 12:44 am

So today I took 70 grams of Brewer's Yeast just to see if it would make me sick.

So far it hasn't and I've taken 69,000 mg's

or

2,300% the normal dosage

Woot

MemberMember
(@r-s)

Posted : 11/29/2006 9:56 pm

If you're still out there casenickles...............

I got this diet software thing. Basically it evaluates my diet through a food log of what I eat. So not suprisingly thanks to things like nuts and green smoothies which I eat every day, my diet is balanced for the most part and meets requirements for most nutrients... one that it didn't meat the requirments for is niacin.

Niacin happens to be found abundantly in nutritional yeast (which is very similar to brewer's yeast), so I ran to the store and bought some as soon as possible, in powdered form.

So I'm wondering if you or anyone else has any experience cooking with it (Denise2?)? It seems to have a subtle but deep taste that would work well in dinner entrees, possibly with potatoes, or in a soup base, but tonight I'm gonna try it with lentils. Doesn't seem like it'd work in a green smoothie... haha.

MemberMember
(@kaleidoscope)

Posted : 11/29/2006 10:43 pm

So I'm wondering if you or anyone else has any experience cooking with it (Denise2?)? It seems to have a subtle but deep taste that would work well in dinner entrees, possibly with potatoes, or in a soup base, but tonight I'm gonna try it with lentils. Doesn't seem like it'd work in a green smoothie... haha.

I've made "cheese" sauce out of nutritional yeast flakes a couple of times... It's not bad.

I used a recipe similar to this one: http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-recipes/ent...heese-sauce.htm except I left out the cashews.

Edit: I just noticed that recipe only uses 2 tablespoons of NYF. I used more like 1/3 cup. You can just Google "nutritional yeast flakes cheese sauce" for a better recipe.

MemberMember
(@r-s)

Posted : 11/29/2006 10:46 pm

Hmm that recipe doesn't sound bad.. though I'd probably leave out the pepper and not use as much garlic. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@r-s)

Posted : 11/29/2006 11:34 pm

Now I've read from some sources that nutritional yeast has MSG in it. Bryan, Denise, does anyone know if this is true????