Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wak

what's wrong with popping a cyst?

I have good complexion but every once in a while I get a cyst on my back. When I get them they are huge and hurt like heck.

Anyway awhile back I got one and I sterilized a pin and connected the pin to a back scratcher. I stuck the pin in the cyst a couple times and nothing happened. Three days later that son of a gun came to a white head. I rolled my back against the edge of a door jam and it hurt like all get out but I emptyed it. Well the cyst leaked for a about a week. It then healed and never came back.

This is the third time I have done this in different locations and it always worked out.

Why do people say never to do this and to see a doctor?

As far as I'm concerned I am now a cyst expert remover.

I almost wish either one would come back or I would get another because I enjoy operatating on them.

some peoples cysts are more severe. i know people who have had to get them surgically removed because they have hard centers and swell to larger than a quarter. plus if you have an intensely pressurized one it will damage more skin when popped or squeezed and can cause permanent scarring. it's great that you can take care of yours so easily, but they sound minor...painfull but minor. please keep in mind that not everyones skin is like yours and cysts are not all alike, and your acne may be minor. for a person whose entire face, back or chest is covered in them messing with them is a huge mistake and will just make their complexion worse. it's not bad advice to leave them alone and its not really cool to talk down to people because they havent discovered your super easy and common sense approach to getting rid of a cyst. i dont know if this tone was intended but i dont even get severe cysts and was offended....be careful with those needles!!!

I have good complexion but every once in a while I get a cyst on my back. When I get them they are huge and hurt like heck.

Anyway awhile back I got one and I sterilized a pin and connected the pin to a back scratcher. I stuck the pin in the cyst a couple times and nothing happened. Three days later that son of a gun came to a white head. I rolled my back against the edge of a door jam and it hurt like all get out but I emptyed it. Well the cyst leaked for a about a week. It then healed and never came back.

This is the third time I have done this in different locations and it always worked out.

Why do people say never to do this and to see a doctor?

As far as I'm concerned I am now a cyst expert remover.

I almost wish either one would come back or I would get another because I enjoy operatating on them.

Popping cysts is one hell of a gamble. I've had over 100 cysts on my face since I started getting them 11 years ago. Some of my cysts come up into a head after about a week, by which time I know I can pop them, but I never lose sight of the fact that I am basically breaking the skin on my face, drawing out a huge infection and putting blind faith in my skin healing nicely.

Human skin is inherently unpredictable and I have the scars to prove it.

The biggest cyst I ever had was on my forehead. It was the size of a squash ball and so painful I couldn't go to work for 2 weeks. I popped it myself because I had to, I was in a huge amount of pain and I couldn't bear it any more. Although it did scar, it's barely noticeable anymore - a pin prick mark and a slight depression when I raise my eyebrows. Only I know it's there. Some of my cysts never pop; for example, the one I have at the moment right next to my ear has never come up into a head. It's still there, but I just have to leave it alone and wait for it to go down (currently 4 weeks and counting). Playing around with cysts also runs the risk of developing a more serious infection.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that you can't just say "what's wrong with popping a cyst?". You've only had three of them (am I right?), I think you've been very lucky so far in your popping adventures. There's a right time and a wrong time to do it. To reiterate suzylee86's cautionary comment: "...be carefuly with those needles!!!".

BonitoBot, how the heck did you pop a cyst so large? How long did it take to drain?

Wak-you made me laugh about wanting one to come back because you enjoy operating on them-lol!

Foomph, I had to wait for a week before it started coming up into a head. It was such an amazing sight, I got all my friends round to look at it! My friend Lucy couldn't understand why I wasn't in work ("you're having time off for a spot?"), you should have seen her face when she finally saw it! I just joked that I've got a super huge brain and it was getting so big it was pushing through my skull!

Anyway, I waited until I saw the tell-tale white dot in the middle of it, then one afternoon I did lots of hot compresses to bring it further to the surface, sterilised a needle, had a shot of vodka (for me, not for the needle)! and just gently lanced it. OMG, it was the best and worst experience of my life all at the same time - the release was incredible, but I couldn't believe all that horrible gunk was coming out of my body, it just kept coming and coming. GROSS.

It took about 2 days after that for all the pus to drain out, then about a week for that horrible thick orangey liquid to stop coming out. It was lovely! Still can't believe it didn't really scar that much. After that one, I started naming them like you name hurricaines, alternate gender names throughout the alphabet. I've had so many since that one, I've had to go back to 'A' again, so far I've had 'Alison', 'Benedict' and 'Cerys'. 'Cerys' is my current one, she's festering next to my ear. Can't pop her though, she's a right b1tch!

depends. ive had a few where there is just NO point, there painful, their red/inflamed, but you pick and you only make it worse. it doesnt pop any gunk, its all watery and then blood, and its just not good. it can seriously scar. i think cysts are the worst to try and pick.

DO NOT POP CYSTS.

Squeezing an inflammed cyst causes them to swell even worse. It is very rare to get any puss out of them, and if you do, it may cause a cyst to form close to it. Sometimes they scar really bad, sometimes they don't much at all. But still. It's a bad idea.

I had cystic acne, and I have scars now because of it, when I was younger I tried to pop them, I learned not to.

My dermatologist told me they're too deep to form whiteheads and therefore should no to be touched... DON'T EVEN TOUCH THEM.

If you have a pesky one, go to the dermatologist and get them extracted, although sometimes it's impossible to do so, and get cordison or steorid injections to help decrease the swelling.

Foomph, I had to wait for a week before it started coming up into a head. It was such an amazing sight, I got all my friends round to look at it! My friend Lucy couldn't understand why I wasn't in work ("you're having time off for a spot?"), you should have seen her face when she finally saw it! I just joked that I've got a super huge brain and it was getting so big it was pushing through my skull!

Anyway, I waited until I saw the tell-tale white dot in the middle of it, then one afternoon I did lots of hot compresses to bring it further to the surface, sterilised a needle, had a shot of vodka (for me, not for the needle)! and just gently lanced it. OMG, it was the best and worst experience of my life all at the same time - the release was incredible, but I couldn't believe all that horrible gunk was coming out of my body, it just kept coming and coming. GROSS.

It took about 2 days after that for all the pus to drain out, then about a week for that horrible thick orangey liquid to stop coming out. It was lovely! Still can't believe it didn't really scar that much. After that one, I started naming them like you name hurricaines, alternate gender names throughout the alphabet. I've had so many since that one, I've had to go back to 'A' again, so far I've had 'Alison', 'Benedict' and 'Cerys'. 'Cerys' is my current one, she's festering next to my ear. Can't pop her though, she's a right b1tch!

:lol::lol::lol:

Has to be the funniest post ive read on this forum.I wish you took pics :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

Has to be the funniest post ive read on this forum.I wish you took pics :rolleyes:

Ditto! I know how gross it is though to see the gunk that can come out of your skin...like how much crap can your skin retain before it explodes?!? Grossness.

I had to pop a cyst that formed a whitehead (finally) right under my eye. It was so painfully noticeable, and it hurt sooooooooooooo bad to pop it but it went away within a few days and left no scar. My boyfriend actually popped it for me because I was too scared..guess that's true love, huh? :lol:

Ditto! I know how gross it is though to see the gunk that can come out of your skin...like how much crap can your skin retain before it explodes?!? Grossness.

I had to pop a cyst that formed a whitehead (finally) right under my eye. It was so painfully noticeable, and it hurt sooooooooooooo bad to pop it but it went away within a few days and left no scar. My boyfriend actually popped it for me because I was too scared..guess that's true love, huh? :lol: