Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
moonb3am

Will going to the derm help?

I cannot say how sick of acne I am. It's really got the best of me now. I just broke down and cried. I feel soo crappy about myself right now. I have had persistent acne since a long time and the marks it's been leaving on my skin lately are horrible. Everytime I think my skin is looking better and starting to clear up I get a really bad breakout again. I am pale skinned so the acne and marks are extremely prominent on my skin. It looks like I have bruises on my skin. No makeup covers it nicely.

I don't have insurance so ever since I had acne I have only been to the dermatologist once and have only been experimenting with OTC products, hoping something would work. I have been on tetracycline twice. Both times I cleared up within a month so never went back to the derm again and didn't take tetra for more than a month both times. I just got off tetra this May after staying on it for a month. And my acne started to come back after like three months of being clear. You guys think it makes a difference if I don't take tetra for a good five six months? Are there any people who get clear skin just by antibiotics? Or does it always come back after you stop taking antibiotics? Do you think it came back because I was only on it for a month and never went back to get more?

My mom has agreed to take me to the derm again. I don't know if it will help. You guys think I should bother making an appointment or shouldn't get my hopes too high of getting clear skin? It just hurts really bad now. It has affected my life tremendously. I am just not the same person I was. I just burried myself under my big blanket and cried for a good while. Then thought I'd come here and post...

My acne isn't severe. There is no derm out there who would ever prescribe me accutane.

You don't know that for sure...

My acne was not severe...and some would probably argue that it was not even moderate, but it was persisitent...and my derm had to talk me into taking accutane...not the other way around.

As for the redmarks...Physician's Formula brand make up works great. They make some great concealers. I use the green powder and a cream concelear and both work great to minimize the redness/bruised looks of some blemishes.

You have to use it lightly though, less is better. I put on my foundation, then a light dusting of the green powder, then touch up with the cream concealer, followed by their mineral powder.

Are there any people who get clear skin just by antibiotics? Or does it always come back after you stop taking antibiotics?

you usually have to keep taking the ABs. some people "grow out of acne so they can stop taking ABs and the acne doesn't come back. also if you are on a topical treatment such as retin a you may be able to stop the abs without acne coming back.

My acne isn't severe. There is no derm out there who would ever prescribe me accutane.
\

yes there is, a lot of derms prescribe it for non-severe acne. including mine

Thanks for replying guys. I am SO scared of accutane. But acne has seriously started to affect my life and my mental health so I'm kind of hoping my derm tells me I should take it.

Guys I'm going to call tomorrow and get an appointment for wednesday. Hopefully I can get if for wednesday. Wish me goodluck. I will come back and update.

Thanks for replying guys. I am SO scared of accutane. But acne has seriously started to affect my life and my mental health so I'm kind of hoping my derm tells me I should take it.

Guys I'm going to call tomorrow and get an appointment for wednesday. Hopefully I can get if for wednesday. Wish me goodluck. I will come back and update.

good luck, it will probably take longer than a few days to get a derm appointment though. you don't have to be too scared of accutane. honestly, it's not that bad.

I called today to make an appointment. Couldn't get it for Wednesday. She gave me one for next Tuesday. Surprisingly my face is looking better. I had a scab that came off and it doesn't look so bad now. I'm hoping a get another cyst or something so I can actually show it to my derm :/

I really want him to give me a strong medicine.

hi i'm new to this as i've been clear for 5 years but it's back the dreaded acne it is mild but my self worth is rock bottom i'm 26 and can't stand this again anyway i wanted to ask anyone in the uk if they've been given accutane for mild but persistant acne by a derm i've only ever seen a derm once 6 years ago and i got minocin mr took ages to work but got there in the end i just want to get accutane to finish the little [email protected]*&+^~s off is there anyone who would take me seriously as even us people with mild acne hide away too

thanks

Ask about differin or retin-a, to be taken with anti-biotics. They're stronger than salicylic acid or other over-the-counter stuff, but not as strong as accutane so your GP's more likely to prescribe them.