Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest ThereIsHope

What are some good healthy meals?

Guest ThereIsHope

So i'm getting pretty sick of eating the same thing for weeks on end. I need some new healthy meals that don't take FOREVER to make. I currently eat alot of:

hummus with lots of veggies

soups

curry+rice dishes

salads

burrito bowls (rice, beans, organic hot sauce, guacamole, and lettuce in a bowl! yum!)

sandwitches with wheat bread and pesto

what are some good yummy recipes? please share! thanks! :D

So i'm getting pretty sick of eating the same thing for weeks on end. I need some new healthy meals that don't take FOREVER to make. I currently eat alot of:

hummus with lots of veggies

soups

curry+rice dishes

salads

burrito bowls (rice, beans, organic hot sauce, guacamole, and lettuce in a bowl! yum!)

sandwitches with wheat bread and pesto

what are some good yummy recipes? please share! thanks! :D

stir fries (the italian recipe "friggione" is deposited and kept at the chamber of commerce and its made with tomatoes, white onions, peppers and eggplants)

polenta (another italian classic, you just need corn flour and water and you can season it with whatever you want from mushrooms to sausages) Polenta

bruschetta (another italian classic :) just take your whole whest bread and rub garlic on it then put it in your oven for few minutes until the liquid of the garlic and the heat makes the bread toasted and crunchy then you can add on the top whatever you want ... classical toppings are: avocado and scallions, diced stir fried zucchini, cottage cheese and sesame seeds, radish, cherry tomatoes and mozzarella (caprese), fennels and capers, roasted bell peppers

Bruschette 1

Bruschette 2

you may also vary your dishes by making dressings with nuts like sesame seeds and orange, or cashew and cream, or walnuts and tomatoes or pinenuts and basil or also veggies dressing like eggplants cream or garbanzo and olives cream

seitan (it's easy to do, and lasts a week so you can make a lot once per week and having it ready everyday, and very tasty ... it is good with peas and onions ... I can expain you how to make it if you want)

mushrooms: they're very good with whatever filling you want. just buy the big ones and empty them and then fill them with what you like and. A good recipe is mushrooms filled with leeks, rice and cashew

pilaf: you need bulghur, can you find it on your supermarket or bio-shop?

This is called a diet meal but i absolutely LOVE it!!

You take your favorite veggies and steam them, my favorites are carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. put a little chicken bulion in the water to add a little flavor. bake chicken and peel it off the bone in little strips, then boil some white rice. put the veggies and chicken on top of rice then top it all with mozzerella cheese. it's sooooooo good with tea.

an easy italian dish:

get a ring of hillshire farms sausage and cut it into about 8 3 inch long pieces. slice them down the middle about 3/4 of the way and place a slice of mozzerella cheese between the sides. boil lasagne noodles and once they cool roll the sausage with cheese in the lasagne noodle and place in rows in a pan. top with your favorite spaghetti sauce and more mozzerella cheese....i love cheese!!! great with salad and garlic bread

a cold dish:boil a half bag of medium shell noodles and cool in refrigerator. add boiled eggs, tuna, celery, onions and mayonaise.....and cheddar CHEESE!!! eat with crackers.....great on a warm day!

i love baked chicken marinated in italian dressing...its easy and flavorfull! hope you like some of these! i always cook for myself and these are all very quick and easy! :D

Go to your local library... Ours is rather small (more than 50% childrens books) and has at least 300 cookbooks, probably 200 of which are devoted to "healthy" recipes.

The problem with cooking at home is that the less cooking you do and experience you have in a kitchen the more and longer cleanup you will have. Cleanup is 95% of the reason when I dont cook at home. I'm very much a fan of these recent surges in making several dishes/servings of the same dish at once and freezing them for later use. This allows one afternoon to be spent preparing long-cooking, heavy prep/cleanup items to be made... homemade tomatoe sauce is a good example... then properly stored, frozen and used in dishes that take under an hour, cleanup included for a month or more. And if your eating healthy, you wont need that freezer space for ice-cream bars. However frozen vegetables are an amazing asset in this day and age and in some cases will be MORE healthful than the "fresh" veggies available at the supermarket... so freezer space will be at a premium.

Investment in a few items will also pay off big time. Slow cookers (especially if your oven is electric) and an automatic rice cooker are nice. Hearty stews make great winter dishes and using a lean roast (beef pork chicken whatever you feel like) and loaded with thick sturdy vegetables, are surprisingly healthy (be sure to consume the broth). And a personal favorite side of mine is collard greens. Cut them small (strips or dices whichever you like) Start as a saute (with a little bacon/any smokey salty meat product) and throw in a splash (literally... no more than 1-2 tablespoons... less if the pan isn't huge) of a light-colored beer or chicken broth if they start to burn (they should give up water quick enough that if they are kept moving the initial minutes of saute they wont burn).... a little garlic, salt and pepper to taste (do this at the end the first few times until you know the amount you will want). then just cook them until they are the texture you like... I like mine right between cooked spinach and raw romaine lettuce... wilted greens but there is still snap in the rib. Dish it up with some hot sauce (I like tabasco for this) and delicious. The smaller the leaves the better in my experience (and the more of the rib thats good to eat) so if sold by the pound, go for the youngest bunches you can dig out.